heaters

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
just noticed on the site we have book on for easter you are not allowed heaters in the arwning is this common, just brought a heater too

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Ive been on some sites which have asked this too,they say its to do with the site electrics not coping with the usage i think its down to cost and them trying to save money.

How they enforce it i dont know.

On one site on the cold nights the electrics use to trip or so they said it was down to the demand,they use to ask people to their gas to heat their vans at peak times.

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
Why would you need heat in the awning? if it is too cold without it why sit there trying to warm the whole site with a 1000 watt fire. J.Lo

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l agree with J.lo, you probably have a upto date van with all mod cons much better to sit in their on cool nights. Much has been said lately about how green caravaning is, don't want the green people jumping all overs claiming we are keeping the seguls warm do we.

NGH

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I too cannot understand why you need to heat an awning when you can sit in a nice warm caravan. Think it would be a waste of electricity and can understand the site owners entirely.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Lots of reasons why you would heat an awning

Maybe they have more than 6 people round in the evening,the children have friends playing games in the awning or kids gone to bed and no space in the van?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use the awning quite a lot for sitting in and reading and we quite often have a few people in their too if we are having 'a bit of a do'. We have a two berth now which can get a bit crowded. Who says we should not heat the awning up and have to sit in the caravan??????

JLo the domestic dog today (in most cases, non working breeds and breeds with finer coats) live in houses or draught proof kennels (some having heat lamps). Certain breeds can live outside with no heating, but not all. In winter for instance, it would be stupid to take a domesticated dog which is used to living in a centrally heated house and plonk it in an awning where temperatures become quite cold. - Look at a wolf's coat and look at a greyhound's coat and body fat. Reply presuming you're not a troll.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Huskies do fair well in cold temperatures but not everyone can cope with a husky's temperament and training and exercise needs. Again, that's assuming the husky has lived out doors (in a kennel) from birth.

Lisa

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
sorry lisa i couldn,t resist that one. I have a lab and he wouldn,t sleep in the awning in fact if i left him out there he would be off and i would find him in a lake or rolling in something unpleasant

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
sorry lisa i couldn,t resist that one. I have a lab and he wouldn,t sleep in the awning in fact if i left him out there he would be off and i would find him in a lake or rolling in something unpleasant
Hi Danny

Sorry if I offened, I've had a bad day. Thank god my two dogs don't roll in stuff!!! Mine sleep in the awning and we do have a halogen heater in there if it is exceptionally cold. They may be tough (SBT) but do feel the cold, (hardly any fat and a short coat on both). LOL!

Lisa

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Most caravans have awning heaters fitted now. But if you do heat an awning think you should pay extra for the electricity used if the site has sufficient capacity to provide it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dianne

"Most caravans have awning heaters fitted now".

You've lost me? My Wyoming doesn't. Do you mean an external power point?

Last autumn in Wales a couple went out everyday leaving a "massive" electric fire burning away in the awning. Now that's what I call selfish and unreasonable. The very behaviour that spoils it for everyone else.

I'm no physicist but I imagine the heat loss through an awning is say 90% plus. Why bother?

Cheers

Dustydog - working sort LOL

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
We use the awning quite a lot for sitting in and reading and we quite often have a few people in their too if we are having 'a bit of a do'. We have a two berth now which can get a bit crowded. Who says we should not heat the awning up and have to sit in the caravan??????

JLo the domestic dog today (in most cases, non working breeds and breeds with finer coats) live in houses or draught proof kennels (some having heat lamps). Certain breeds can live outside with no heating, but not all. In winter for instance, it would be stupid to take a domesticated dog which is used to living in a centrally heated house and plonk it in an awning where temperatures become quite cold. - Look at a wolf's coat and look at a greyhound's coat and body fat. Reply presuming you're not a troll.

Lisa
Lisa Draught kennel could be a tailgate of the car with a little ventelation. J.Lo

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Lisa
Hi

Sorry I don't understand. Do you mean leaving dogs in cars with no ventilation either in hot or cold conditions?

Lisa

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I think the awning heater is the truma one thats connected to the caravan blown air heating,they are as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle!

Sometimes you do have to heat the awning up when you have a few friends round say more than 6 which i have done before,14 one night.At least when they are around they are not using so much lecky in their vans.

Dont forget caravanning is a social thing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think the awning heater is the truma one thats connected to the caravan blown air heating,they are as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle!

Sometimes you do have to heat the awning up when you have a few friends round say more than 6 which i have done before,14 one night.At least when they are around they are not using so much lecky in their vans.

Dont forget caravanning is a social thing.
Mikey

I know the thing you mean, useless.

We do have a 400/800 watt halogen heater but in all honesty it's more for drying out the dogs than keeping us warm.

We do have a thick fleece each, will that help. LOL

Cheers

Dustydog

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Don't know whether the fitted gas awning vent works or not never needed to use it, we only sit in the awning when it is warm enough. We can sit 8 inside if we entertain. But you now see why site owners want to fit meters for the electricity it is always a few who spoil it for the majority of Caravanners. We have been caravanning for over 40 years and have never needed heater in the awning even when in the early days we had 2 children with us and 2 German Shepherds all slept inside the van bit cramped but we managed and enjoyed ourselves.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by "gas awning vent"

If they fit meters you make a specific charge to your customers for electricity, the most you can charge is limited by the 'maximum resale price' rule.

The maximum resale price is the same price that you have paid to your own supplier.

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Sorry I don't understand. Do you mean leaving dogs in cars with no ventilation either in hot or cold conditions?

Lisa
No not during the day the dogs stay outside but at night mine stay in the back of the fwd with the window slightly open.and in summer outside with the rear door open. Thethered of course. J.Lo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts