Hello all and amplifying a little regarding a Norway trip

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Hi all ,

New member here and just spotted the intro part of the forum, only after I posted on the thread below about my Safefill bottles, that thread is locked so I will also continue a little about our Norway trip here as was requested , our first crack at the Continent.

Our van is a 2007 Bailey Pageant, we were new to caravanning last year, lockdowners I guess. I had a misspent past with a rather large boat and a lifetime hobby of electronics/electrical tinkering so it was inevitable we would not want the thing to remain as standard. Longer term goal was the max off grid capability possible for European (or UK CL) touring. Norway was a particular interest after past travel there. It is an unusual van with a large crossways fixed bed filling the tow hitch end and lounge at the rear. Perfect for what we wanted, fixed bed van for two with lots of space under it to add electrics. It’s not a layout that would suit families and I don’t think it sold all that well at the time. But it makes a superb two person van-life capable thing! Payload is just over 200kg, not too bad, though we started with a mover already added. It’s now got 600Ah of lithium batteries (60 kg), though we gained by ditching the lead acid. Two 175W solar panels that I fitted, Victron charger. A further 50A Mastervolt AC charger. Victron 1600W inverter. Oh and the two large Safefills, so propane capacity is 20kg. I think that swallows about half of the payload, clothes awning etc travel in the car, an estate. The van can pretty well run indefinitely in the sunnier half of the year electrically speaking, and as mentioned on the other thread I hope it is good for at least a few weeks off grid without gas refills. The van is pictured below somewhere near Stavanger.

Here goes about our recent trip mentioned elsewhere...75564B93-AD25-46A3-8A48-D433999A1D83.jpeg

Cutting a long story short last May with a years caravanning almost under the belt we set off for for Norway on a three week trip. We had gone through a learning curve over that year on UK soil, taking in the Isle of Wight and Jersey so were pretty comfortable by then with the van and ferries. The prior learning curve included learning all about tail swing out on turning on narrow stone walled Jersey roads, hence the gaffer tape on the near side rear pictured. I’ve got quite good with gaffer really, a cracked window has also departed (somewhere in Germany). I now also know the Danish for plywood too.

Route to Norway was Hook of Holland, N Germany including an off grid Autobahn first night, then staying at a site at Ribe , S Denmark. Horribly well organised and huge for our taste. We drove up Denmark for a night at Hirtshalls , lovely site there, before getting the ferry to Kristiansand Norway and had a couple of nights there. Lovely area actually, if not a headline UK traveller touring destination. We then headed North and ended up near Stavanger on the coast. Lovely site behind the dunes. Unexpectedly all pitches had full EHU, vans capabilities not tested really, other than never needing to use an AC charger. We decided not to spend the Norway time touring with the van beyond here as Norway is not quick to get around, spending our time touring to nearby Fjords by car and getting the boat up Bergen for 3 nights, staying centrally. By this point we felt like we were partly living on RoRos.

So we didn’t stretch our vans capabilities that much in Norway, but it made a great base. We did reconnoiter a lot, and have a handle on how it works there now. In particular the many municipal type motor van parking places that also used bycaravans. These are often in pretty remote little towns and villages we found. We have ideas for future touring there, stretching the vans capabilities more.

Return was pretty much the same route. We managed a nice Norwegian night inland by a lake on the way back to Stavanger. Though to make the best of that part of the trip we found that Amsterdam has a nice and central site just north of the river. That made a pleasant 2 day diversion and is not so many hours away from the UK.

Anyway if our modest Norway experience is of use to anyone fire away with any questions.

I attached a van pic in a rather nice Norwegian lay-by. Also with its rather overspecified re power Audi S6 towcar.

Steve

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Must have been a very interesting trip. Ferry crossing to Norway must have been expensive, but probably cheaper and quicker than going via Goteborg and Oslo? Are sites expensive or about the same price as UK sites?

Reactions: SteveW
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Steve welcome to forum very interesting read looks fabulous scenery in Norway one of the places i like to visit and the Fjords.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Must have been a very interesting trip. Ferry crossing to Norway must have been expensive, but probably cheaper and quicker than going via Goteborg and Oslo? Are sites expensive or about the same price as UK sites?
Yes it was fun and we want to go again, armed with more knowledge. Yes Hirtshals ferry is expensive, about 7-800 I think. You have to drive quite a way to get to Oslo via the bridge or a Swedish ferry, and Oslo is probably itself where you don’t want to be, lots of driving beyond that. Viable for those happy with longer haul trips I suspect though. In terms of time may not compare so badly if you route via Copenhagen and use the bridge, avoids all the ferry waiting overhead etc.

There is of course the interesting new route from N Holland to Kristiansand much less driving. But the frequency is lower than the shorter routes, every other day I think. Rather like our much missed Newcastle Bergen ferry you do wonder whether the route will be long term viable, services can come and go! I think they’ve leased the ships for a couple of years at least.

Sites in Norway were not particularly expensive , comparable to here. We stayed at both big and small. Organisation was good , they were very friendly sites and all three had EHU. On one the power was floating, not earthed.(IT). This is allegedly more common in Norway as much of the country is rocky. A tester gives earth errors as a result. Your own call whether you use, an issue to expect. All sites had standard 16A sockets. The check in at bigger site at Kristiansand was very efficient, all modern touch screen with a gate code pre-provided. Compare and contrast the big site at Ribe Denmark, same barriers etc, codes in use, but chaotic to get in first time and to check out, poor experience.

Steve

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. We have always headed for the sun in Europe .
We would never rule that out, though are not big sunbathers! The sites down there look a bit parched compared to the more leafy ones in northern climes. Wondered about the Carmargue next year.

Steve

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Hi Steve welcome to forum very interesting read looks fabulous scenery in Norway one of the places i like to visit and the Fjords.
Thanks. One example here. The attached pic was taken at a tiny motorhome stop on the fjord at Ardal, headed north from Stavanger. We had a picnic there with car but you could use it with a caravan assuming available space. No water, no power, but good for a night or two, what a spot. I think you could tour up to Bergen slowly on that route, would be wonderful.

Steve

Attachments

• 3537507E-DE28-455A-A021-78B82E29A2F0.jpeg
    3537507E-DE28-455A-A021-78B82E29A2F0.jpeg
    947.4 KB · Views: 5
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We would never rule that out, though are not big sunbathers! The sites down there look a bit parched compared to the more leafy ones in northern climes. Wondered about the Carmargue next year.

Steve
We spent a week in St Mairies de La Mer. in the Camargue which was well sited for exploring the area.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
We spent a week in St Mairies de La Mer. in the Camargue which was well sited for exploring the area.
Thats useful info. All the sites I looked at in a brief check were big, pools, water parks etc. Is that similar or a bit quieter? We would ideally like a peaceful UK CL type thing in that area, which I guess doesn’t happen!

Steve

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. One example here. The attached pic was taken at a tiny motorhome stop on the fjord at Ardal, headed north from Stavanger. We had a picnic there with car but you could use it with a caravan assuming available space. No water, no power, but good for a night or two, what a spot. I think you could tour up to Bergen slowly on that route, would be wonderful.

Steve
Now we haven"t got a caravan might look into hiring a motor home and take it there thanks for the picture it looks great i

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had left the caravan in Cantobre in Aveyron, and just drove the car down to the coastal region so we could be flexible with where we stayed. But you are right the French Mediterranean don’t really do CLs. Municipals tend to be less glitzy.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
We had left the caravan in Cantobre in Aveyron, and just drove the car down to the coastal region so we could be flexible with where we stayed. But you are right the French Mediterranean don’t really do CLs. Municipals tend to be less glitzy.
I go off glitz more and more by the day. Gatecodes, rules, noise. Just had a lovely night at a CL on Hayling Island. Peaceful,no hassles. Facilities mainly a toilet and a CDP. Don't want anything more

Steve

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hello and welcome.
My wife and I went on a cruise up as far as Alta in February 2020 and arrived back just as Covid hit the UK.
We instantly fell in love with Norway and plan to return with our caravan.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I think for caravanning it’s a brilliant destination. We are just hoping that the proposed revival of the Newcastle-Norway ferry route in ‘26 actually happens!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts