Hello all

Jul 2, 2019
Visit site
We're thinking of getting back into caravanning after a 10 year break. We're looking at vans around 4 years old, but I made the same mistake as when we bought our Discovery. I read the forums! Although we love our Disco, our fourth, if you take notice of the forums they are the worst cars ever made. Our present series 4 has done 56k and never put a foot wrong. I've been retired for 3 years, and my wife is soon to do so. We have horses and tow an Ifor Williams trailer, hence the Disco. We also sleep in the trailer at some rides, taking the horse out first! Anyway, my point is We're struggling to find a caravan make with satisfactory reviews. Our local dealer has a few Bailey Unicorns for sale, but they seem to have a bad name. Our last van was an Elddis Crusader, 2001 which was good, although the dreaded damp had started to appear. Anyway, we'll keep you updated, but would appreciate some positive model recommendations.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Percyprod said:
We're thinking of getting back into caravanning after a 10 year break. We're looking at vans around 4 years old, but I made the same mistake as when we bought our Discovery. I read the forums! Although we love our Disco, our fourth, if you take notice of the forums they are the worst cars ever made. Our present series 4 has done 56k and never put a foot wrong. I've been retired for 3 years, and my wife is soon to do so. We have horses and tow an Ifor Williams trailer, hence the Disco. We also sleep in the trailer at some rides, taking the horse out first! Anyway, my point is We're struggling to find a caravan make with satisfactory reviews. Our local dealer has a few Bailey Unicorns for sale, but they seem to have a bad name. Our last van was an Elddis Crusader, 2001 which was good, although the dreaded damp had started to appear. Anyway, we'll keep you updated, but would appreciate some positive model recommendations.

Hello Percy,

To be honest looking at caravan reviews with a view to find one that will be reliable is unlikely to be helpful, as none of the UK built caravan makes has a record to be proud of when it comes to product reliability. The way UK caravans are manufactured harks back to the same problems that best the UK car industry back in the 1960' and 70's where its was quantity not quality that drove the production lines. Two consecutive caravans off the same production line can be chalk and cheese in terms of problems or quality.

I'd question your description of a caravan that leaks as being "good", but perhaps you mean the layout suited you. And that is really going to be your best guide, find a layouts who's weight you can tow and where its layout suits you needs, then its just down to luck as to how reliable teh caravan may be.

There are problems with some continental imports but they do perhaps seem a bit more durable.
God luck and welcome back to caravanning

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
According to Practical Caravan's owner survey, Coachman are the best new caravan and Bailey are the best used caravan.

I think it is personal choice for the most part; I dislike Bailey designs (specifically the vertical window) and Coachman is out of my price range (Like-for-like Vision model). Swift offered the style and layout we wanted at the price point we could work with. There have been quality issues with the Sprite - The latest being a trim panel falling off and getting damaged - but I doubt I could get a continental caravan in the same layout with the features I wanted.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
To some extent the problem in reading the forums is like those for your disco. The people with problem make the most noise although that is not to say they are wrong in respect of their problem. The industry is still in the dark ages when it comes to building them although they are now using modern materials except for Lunar, and customer service is at best patchy.
The magazine does survey owners and Adria do consistently well, as do Coachman, although both tend to be heavy, but with a disco pulling it weight should not be a problem.
Eldiss are consistently bottom of the survey although having been taken over it is hoped that things will improve but the current survey should tell us when the results appear early next year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts