Hello buying advice largest dealer

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hello i have just joined and I any looking to buy my first caravan for the family. I don't mind travelling but what dealer would have the largest selection of used caravans? Mainly looking around a 2005 .

Just a thought so we know what layout will suit us best and what make.

Thanks

Nick

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
If you have a look on Here by using the various search tabs you can view layouts & van types, then you have some idea of what you would like to view at a dealers. .

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Nick! Welcome to the Practical Caravan forum and thank you for posting.

As others have said, it would be useful to know where you are, so we can suggest dealers near you. It is worth checking out Practical Caravan's classifieds to give you a feel for what's out there. What's your tow car, so you can work out what weight of caravan you're able to tow? You can get more information about matching ratios here. Regarding layouts, while everyone can offer an opinion, it's a very subjective thing and depends on who you're touring with and what works best for you. It might be best to go to a local/your nearest caravan dealer just to take a look around and see how the space and the different layouts work for you.

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone

Thanks for the advice,

We have looked at the layouts and we have a good idea, however we thought by looking at fixed bunks would be for us until we visited a local caravan dealer. It was nIce to get in and look how you will live with it however out local dealer had 20 used vans and only a few around 2005.

I live near Colchester and to be fair I think a caravan equivalent of car giant hence 300 used caravans in stock.

As to distance if it was 100 miles away it wouldn't be an issue. If there were 500 caravans at a dealer then I could go 200 miles.

Kind of want to do my research a buy once as it will be our holiday home for a few years.

Thanks for you posts and welcomes

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
CAUTION - Remember that if you buy at a distance it is a long round trip (twice) if something goes wrong. A local dealer will not do warranty work on a used van if the warranty is with the supplying dealer. :(

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
To be honest I think you're going to struggle. There are some quite large dealerships around here (north Midlands), but I doubt that they'd have the number of used stock (especially at this time of the year) that you're asking for. Plus, when you bear in mind that you're considering something that's now in the region of eleven years old........

Glossop Caravans (in the town of Glossop, Derbyshire) are possibly one of the largest dealerships in the Country, so if you have a look on their website you might see how many/few caravans they have of the age you're looking at.

Sorry it's not more positive news, but alas (as I am continually being told), we can't compare the caravan market to the car market!

Nigel

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Nigel

Will give them a look.

I know it's getting on but your buget is what it's is.

Totally agree I am in the car trade and rarely crosses over. But the supermarket style sells across all industries smaller margin bigger turnover.

I've ben told October is a good time to buy as out of season and new models out?

Thanks again I am a total novice with this.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Nickrally777 said:
But the supermarket style sells across all industries smaller margin bigger turnover.

Wishful thinking where caravans are concerned. :(

You will find out that everything you buy in the caravan world is totally overpriced, especially if it's got the word 'caravan' in the title or description.
:eek:hmy:

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Nickrally777 said:
I've ben told October is a good time to buy as out of season and new models out?

Yeah, it can be. New-season vans are revealed around this time of the year (as you can read here!), so there can be deals to be done on previous-season models, but I am not sure what affect this has, if any, on the prices of caravans that are over 10 years old.

I presume you've been to Homestead in Weeley which isn't too far from Colchester? Also Cranham?

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Nick, I'm certainly not questioning your budget at all. Most of us are in similar positions. I would always advise first time caravaners to buy a used caravan as their first because if you find that it's not for you (some do), then the losses aren't so great. Secondly, after a year you'd probably find that the value hasn't dropped significantly should you wish to trade up.

As others have said, later in the year is a good time to buy a used model as there are a good number of trade ins as the new seasons models start to appear, or indeed any time over the winter months.

Good luck with your search.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Have you looked at The Caravan Company. I have no experience of them myself but they have 3 sites, 2 in Northampton and one in Berkshire. They proclaim themselves to have big stocks of used vans. The website may be worth a look.
Think you are right about the lack of a caravan supermarket. Perhaps you could set one up

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Mel said:
Have you looked at The Caravan Company. I have no experience of them myself but they have 3 sites, 2 in Northampton and one in Berkshire. They proclaim themselves to have big stocks of used vans. The website may be worth a look.
Think you are right about the lack of a caravan supermarket. Perhaps you could set one up

Will have a look thanks,

I am just surprised there isn't one in the midlands, would love too having being in the trade side of the car industry Ive seen what happens when people who don't know there products get involved.... don't normally last long .

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
No worries I know I think my kids would love it and in regards to what holidays abroad are costing they look reasonable. had a look at some new ones and wow....

but realistically we need to get one an try it.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Have you considered going to the Caravan and Motorhome show at the NEC in October ?
I know you are not looking to buy a new one but there you will find all the different brands and layouts and you can get in and spend a while in them and see what you think of various layouts before you decide what might suit.
We went last year and found it incredibly useful to be able to compare brands/layouts close together to decide what we liked and would would suit us best and we got chatting to lots of other experienced caravanners who gave us some great advice and tips - although this forum is brilliant for that !
Also I have never towed before so I also took advantage of the free towing experience run by the camping and caravanning club and have a go with the support of a driving instructor by my side which really gave me the confidence and knowledge of how to tow safely and negotiate roads with the van on the back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts