Hello from Down Under

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
After living in our Van in the UK for 15 months to save money, we set off to Australia. B) A 3 year stint in Southern Victoria and we then set course to cross the Nullabor and settle south of Perth. A planned 4000km journey of 23 days had to compress to 8 due to closing weather promising significant head winds to come. Journey was a bit hard on the Van :oops: , and I am presently attending to the "kiss and make-up" side of fixing stuff up.- see Technical post.
Once we solved the fine-tuning of weight distribution, the Van went like a dream. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What van did you use for the trip? Any problems in registering or modifying it fir use in Australia. Tow car? Shogun or Land Cruiser I guess for Outback journeys.

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
Hello otherclive. To answer your questions in turn:
Van was/is 2004 Lunar Quasar 525
Registration required a more complete compliance plate, and a separate plate stating the van was imported used.
Because the Vin number was fixed to the chassis underneath the van body I had to get a duplicate punched onto the chassis where it was more readily visible.
Tow car was a 1998 petrol Pajero GLS LWB wagon

Gas fittings are completely different and I had to get a regulator and hose made up, then a gasfitter to fit to the gas line and once done and tested, he issued a gas compliance certificate. Gas bottles are different, also.

The process of importing was fairly straight forward as we had done our homework and had all the forms and permit to import with us - but once on the docks, add large amounts of cash :( - pay fees, fees, fees....

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Not sure I would want to drive my Lunar across Australia. They are built down to a weight rather than for the strength needed for the roads down there but again may be if it can survive here with our roads may be they can survive anything.

Reactions: ecliptic
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I am going to assume that the OP drove through the Nullarbor on the Eyre Highway, national highways 1 and A1.

Looks like a very good sealed road, I'm pretty sure that some of the roads I have encountered in Scotland in the last 2 years are in a poorer condition ;) .

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
Hello Anseo and Raywood
The roughest road was between Geelong and Ballarat, Victoria. In places it reminded me of many UK roads - rough, uneven surface with the occasional pothole and collapsed edge
The principal highways are in very good order, this being a prerequisite due to the large volumes of two and 3 trailer Road Trains that travel at the speed limit - believe me!!
Worst part of the journey is the large amount of "road kill" being kangaroos and wallabies. The general caravaning instruction is to wait until the first trucks have gone through in the morning, and be parked before dark. Both timings to avoid contact with the local wildlife.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for that ecliptic.

The similarity between UK roads and the one you traveled on are a little different in my experience of UK road conditions in the past couple of years.

We have potholes and collapsed edges interspersed with occasional flat tarmac surfaces.

:(

TRENDING THREADS