Help! Bailey VS Swift

May 15, 2005
Visit site
hi there, I am thinking of changing my caravan, I currently own an 1990 Elddis Cyclone GTX. I was hoping to buy a new Bailey Pageant Provence, however this was already stretching my budget to extremes and after my recent visit to my local dealer with my Elddis, I was very dissappointed with the trade in value only £1000 against a new Bailey. Totaly putting New out of reach. Unfortunately for me my dealer has found damp in my caravan of which I didn't know about, one part being very spongy!! Anyway feeling deflated I had a further look around before I left the dealership. I found 2 other caravans both Used of which may fit requirements a 2005 series 5 Bailey Pageant provence £9995 and a 2002 Swift Challenger Lifestyle Special Edition £8450. My requirements are a 5 berth caravan with front L shaped lounge and a seperate shower in the shower room. The Swift probably fits my Budget better but does not have the separate shower but does have the L shape Lounge and seems immaculate, where as the Bailey is more of a stretch on the budget but does have both seperate shower and L shape lounge, however seems to have a few knocks and scuffs for a 1 year old van. My dealer has offered me £1500 trade in on either used van. Any comments Appreciated. Many Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ANDREW THE BAILEY IS CHEAP,IVE JUST BOUGHT A 2005-AUG PAGEANT AVERGUE,MINT FOR 9500,MY ELLDIS CYCLONE GT 1993 WAS TRADED IN AT 2000 WITH DAMP IN THE WINE CABINET AND THE FRONT CHASSIS LIFTING FROM THE FLOOR,THE BAILEY SEEMS THE BETTER BUY AND WILL HAVE THE BALANCE OF THE WARRENTY--BUT ONLY IF ITS REGISTERED AFTER 1 SEPT 2005,CHECK THIS OUT AS LOTS OF PEOPLE ON EBAY ARE SELLING BAILEY VANS WITH THE ALLEGED 6 YEAR WATER INGRESS WARRENTY

IF IT IS REGISTED BEFORE 1 SEPT 2005,A 3 YEAR WARRENTY WILL COST YOU

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Cheers Dave for that,Its mind boggling! the other option was since we've only had the Elddis for just over 12 months as we were new to caravanning, should we keep the Elddis a little longer and get another season or so from it, and try to get more value for money out of it or with damp and depreciation would this option just be just false economy?

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Cheers Dave for that,Its mind boggling! the other option was since we've only had the Elddis for just over 12 months as we were new to caravanning, should we keep the Elddis a little longer and get another season or so from it, and try to get more value for money out of it or with damp and depreciation would this option just be just false economy?
Our van was detiororating when we first looked at trading up, and we decided to wait another year to gain a little more cash.

The van did get worse but when we traded it in they offered us the same trade in value.

The reason is, I believe, that because of the condition they can not resell the van so it goes to "trade", most of these vans are then broken for their component parts so the condition of the body is largely irrelevant.

If you are happy to live with it for another year I would - it should cost you nothing and you will end up with a one year newer van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew, both of these are popular caravans the Swift Lifestyle is a Barrons dealer special based on the Charisma with additional kit. Personally I would chose the Provence at

G

Bailey in our experience would be the way to go, even if you compromise on layout the Bailey is likely to be the safer bet in the long term.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
I've had my 1998 Swift 5 Berth for 3 years now & it's been great. No problems at all & far better built than my in-laws Lunar of the same age. We are looking at upgrading & based on what I read here we went to a bailey dealer but we found the van's to be quite basic & clinical looking. My wife & I decided to stick with the swift for a while longer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts