Help!!!!!!!!! Caravan Storage in South Derbyshire

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I am trying desperately to try and get some caravan storage for our caravan that we collect mid-March. Have tried Macaravans and they are full and being new to all of this I don't know where else to try.

We live in South Derbyshire, bordering Leicestershire (Ashby De La Zouch) and are about 8 miles away from Burton on Trent so would consider area near there too.

Help!!!!! I am desperate.

Thank you

Sam

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sam.

I used to keep my van at macaravans.Very helpful staff and easy access. However the site does FLOOD. I lost a 2 week old van back 1n 2000. My insurance company would no longer cover the new van for flood damage so I regrettably had to move.

I now keep my van at Don Amott caravans Hilton.Only a few miles off the A38.About

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Forgot to say that they did have vacancies a few weeks ago.

Nidge
Hi Nidge

Thank you for replying.

I telephoned Don Amott yesterday, as was thinking about there.

They do have vacancies, so this is a possibility.

What is their security like.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Thanks

Sam

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nidge

Thank you for replying.

I telephoned Don Amott yesterday, as was thinking about there.

They do have vacancies, so this is a possibility.

What is their security like.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Thanks

Sam
Hi Sam

The security seems OK. The compound is perimeter fenced with CCTV cameras,padlocked gate and on your exit from the access road you have a barrier with a swipe card.

The compound is also part of Don Ammott's motor home/caravan sales site which is also obviously secured after hours.

The staff will let you go and have a look around and then make your own judgment before committing yourself.

My own opinion is that the site is about as safe as they can make it, however if someone is determined they will take your property whatever.

On the other side of the coin is, why go to the bother of taking a secondhand van when you have the choice of literally dozens of brand new very expensive motor homes or caravans from the sales site ?.

Do not hesitate to ask for any further info.

Regards

Nidge

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sam

The security seems OK. The compound is perimeter fenced with CCTV cameras,padlocked gate and on your exit from the access road you have a barrier with a swipe card.

The compound is also part of Don Ammott's motor home/caravan sales site which is also obviously secured after hours.

The staff will let you go and have a look around and then make your own judgment before committing yourself.

My own opinion is that the site is about as safe as they can make it, however if someone is determined they will take your property whatever.

On the other side of the coin is, why go to the bother of taking a secondhand van when you have the choice of literally dozens of brand new very expensive motor homes or caravans from the sales site ?.

Do not hesitate to ask for any further info.

Regards

Nidge
Thanks Nidge

You're a star.

I didn't really think about that, what you said about the new caravans/motorhomes.

I like the fact that it has got cctv and cameras etc.

You wouldn't believe how many storage sites I have rung that haven't got these. One lady from a farm that stores caravans even told me they have got no security and that they have had caravans stolen .................. er!!! What would you do.

Run a mile!!!!

Whereabouts do you live?

We live in the Swadlincote area.

Thank you for all your advice.

We are going to go there next weekend and check it all out.

Many thanks

Sam

Hiya Sam, theres one just outside of Twycross. Have a look ni the Ashby times she very often advertises in there. Its only about 10 mins from you and is securely locked, but they are IMO packed in too tightly (thats why we moved our van from there) and you get a key. I will see if I can find the number out for you.

Yes I'm about 5 miles from you near the monastery.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Nidge

You're a star.

I didn't really think about that, what you said about the new caravans/motorhomes.

I like the fact that it has got cctv and cameras etc.

You wouldn't believe how many storage sites I have rung that haven't got these. One lady from a farm that stores caravans even told me they have got no security and that they have had caravans stolen .................. er!!! What would you do.

Run a mile!!!!

Whereabouts do you live?

We live in the Swadlincote area.

Thank you for all your advice.

We are going to go there next weekend and check it all out.

Many thanks

Sam
Hi Sam

We live in Belper,Don Amott's is only about 25 mins from us so no bother at all picking the van up, especially as it is close to the A38/A50 etc. We used to keep the van on a farm site 5 mins down the road from us, that was until somebody took a fancy to the van next door. It was a Hobby (wonder who pinched that?).

Hope you find the storage site OK and who know's we might even meet each other and have a chat. My better half can never understand why it can take up to 2 hours sometimes to fetch the van. I just explain that you have to be sociable with the fellow caravaner's, "ah she say's a bit like when you fetch the water on the caravan site".

Best regards

Nidge

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sam

We live in Belper,Don Amott's is only about 25 mins from us so no bother at all picking the van up, especially as it is close to the A38/A50 etc. We used to keep the van on a farm site 5 mins down the road from us, that was until somebody took a fancy to the van next door. It was a Hobby (wonder who pinched that?).

Hope you find the storage site OK and who know's we might even meet each other and have a chat. My better half can never understand why it can take up to 2 hours sometimes to fetch the van. I just explain that you have to be sociable with the fellow caravaner's, "ah she say's a bit like when you fetch the water on the caravan site".

Best regards

Nidge
Thank you again Nidge

Think we will definitely go to Don Amott.

Going to check it out next weekend.

I think that caravanning is such a lovely way of life, and the people you meet are such lovely people.

My Mum and dad bought their first van a Bailey Burgundy last year and we went once with them in the summer holidays and was totally hooked. Everyone was saying "Oh, Sam will hate it, nowhere to straighten her hair" etc etc.

I absolutely loved it, I just loved the freedom that it gives us especially for the kids to safely play on the site and meet new friends. They can walk down to the little shop on site for an ice cream and you can give them that little bit of extra freedom that you cannot give them at home. I really cannot wait!!

Our favourite site is Blackmore, as that is where we got the bug, We collect the van on the 21st March and the following weekend we are having our first trial run to Blackmore. It is also my Son's 7th Birthday so will be a really special weekend.

Hopefully we will bump into each other at Don Amott, to say hello!! Take care and thank you again for such valuable advice.

Sam

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sam, there is one advertising in the burton mail at the moment you may get details from website. there is also one near Isley walton not sure of no. will try and get it for you. Andy

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hiya mate, give Beehive Farm in Rosliston a ring and see what they can do for you, or go on there web site and have a look.
Thank you Phil for your reply.

Tried Beehive Farm, the only thing that put me off is that they charge you

Sam, I'll keep trying to find somewhere in the area for you to look at. Alistiar at Beehive is prety good tho' and Neil the guy who will move the van is very carefull, so if all else fails it may be an option.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Sam, I'll keep trying to find somewhere in the area for you to look at. Alistiar at Beehive is prety good tho' and Neil the guy who will move the van is very carefull, so if all else fails it may be an option.
Hi Phil

We have found a place about 2 miles up the road from us.

My parents have kept their caravan there for the past 18 months with no problem. It is a farm, and they have an area for caravan storage. It is just a gravelled area with fencing all the way round with a gate with a big chain and padlock. I am feeling a bit uneasy as I don't know whether it is secure enough.

To access the storage area you have to go past the Farmhouse and they have security lighting and guard dogs. The guy who owns it is lovely and I can see us having no problems keeping it there other than the lack of security.

We have bought 2 Nemesis Wheel Clamps, a Saracen hitchlock and are looking at buying 2 corner steady locks. But you know the saying if they want it then they will have it. To be honest it has really been worrying me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts