Help - hook up connection damage

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Okay, here's what happened. I have attempted to drive off with the electric hook up still attached.....the connecting wire came away and dislodged the connection to the vehicle. I know 'school boy' error. Thing is I am currently at Cherry Hinton campsite, it's the weekend and can't find anyone professional to come and help would anyone know where I can get help between here and Bedfordshire/Milton Keynes please. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You say the connection to the vehicle has become dislodged. Is that really all that has happened? If nothing is broken can you not push the retention elements of the connector back into place? I’m only saying that because mine becomes relatively easily dislodged when disconnecting the cable, but it is just as easy to reinsert the retention tabs if that happens.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Can your breakdown company recover the van to your home for you?
Get it all repaired at your leisure then.

Kev
Thanks for responding Kev, not broken down, everything still working. I failed to mention the vehicle in question is a motorhome (traded in the caravan). We still have everything functioning except battery not powerful enough to run the heating, but we can swap to gas. AND the fact the hook up connection on the vehicle is dislodged, believe no wires damage but it's sort of loose/in the housing, we're not strong enough to push it back in! Still going ahead to our final destination, another four days then home so thought we could get a quick 'repair' en route.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
You say the connection to the vehicle has become dislodged. Is that really all that has happened? If nothing is broken can you not push the retention elements of the connector back into place? I’m only saying that because mine becomes relatively easily dislodged when disconnecting the cable, but it is just as easy to reinsert the retention tabs if that happens.

Hi Lutz
Thanks for your reply. Yes, connection piece to vehicle has dislodged, been forcibly pulled out when I 'hasitly' tried to pull away without checking all connection detached!.......... but I don't have the strength to push it back in where the tabs are, not entirely sure no electric cable have been damaged, one may have been pulled out, how do I tell. The Truma panel is telling me I can't use the heating on electric as there is an error (will use gas if needed) so maybe there is a wire loose I can't see. So need a professional. Kind of you to reply, thanks.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Ah, I thought it was the connection between car and caravan.
You are saying its the 240v hook up. That would need professional attention and could be quite dangerous if dabbled with. Stick to the 12v and gas until you get home then get a mobile tech to sort would be my advice.
Kev

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would try to get help from some one on the site, or even ask the warden, they may be able to look at the problem and suggest a fix,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with Kevin in that unless you dismantle the plug you cannot see if there is any problem inside which might cause a short circuit. Assuming you can get a mobile engineer to you before you leave I would wait until then unless there is someone there who can help.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If the cable has pulled taut with a yank be worth checking the connections within the lead too and informing the warden to check that the EHU bollard has no problem as a result.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Last time we were away i ask the warden he fixed a problem for us but he should know who to contact and get help for you .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts