Help needed to build a better bed

Nov 12, 2005
Visit site
I'm studying at Uni of Newcastle and we've got the task to improve/design the make-up system of twin sofas to a double bed. I'd like to ask your help, to give information about your preferences(comfort,size,..), problems you had to suffer, desired solutions you're looking for but couldn't find on the market.The project governed by the Explorer Group, but we can deviate from their basic conception.

It would be a great help to my team.

Thank you!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank. Good flat cushions, no roll edges, all cushions same thickness, and a nice easy pull out slat method, end of story. Good Luck Carol

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hello Frank

I would suggest LONGER beds (both fixed and singles) as my husband is 6'4" tall (son 6'8" tall) and both (especially my son) finds sleeping almost impossible on the short beds currently provided. Even fixed beds, unless you purchase a twin axle Hobby with island bed, are too short. Now that gives you food for thought!!!

Ann

G

Frank,

First of all you need to define the size of a double bed. In a store this will mean a minimum size of 6ft 6 inches by 4ft 6 inches. A king size is a 6ft 6 inches by 5 ft., In a caravan/motorhome it will mean whatever space is left for the manufacturer to squeeze it in. Yes, I know many manufacturers stick with the traditional dinette at either end that is designed to be the main bed, but the size can often 'shrink' with development. Some motorhome manufacturers in particular, think a 3 ft wide bed is a double. They must be pygmies. Of course the manufacturer never has to sleep on the product, that is for the customer to enjoy. I only bring in motorhomes to the dicussion, because many of the manufacturers make both products.

Mention has already been made regarding cushions, and this desire of the manufacturers to put rolls at the front edge. In no respect can rolls make a decent bed unless you turn them over, and this can be a major problem if the cushion is over 6 ft long. No wonder the fixed bed idea is getting stronger. It is not just the comfort, it is the ease of assembly. Plus you will in all probability be getting a sprung mattress, not foam filled cushions.

In my mind there is a directly inverse proportional relationship between age of customer and enthusiasm for fiddling with cushions. Define the market and prepare accordingly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank If someone comes up with a double bed which folds up against the rear wall during the day and pulls down at night the caravan industry will beat a path to that persons door.It may be that some fresh young minds will come up with this space saving inovation .I hope its you and you make a mint .All the Best Coljac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts