Help on a car caravan towing matter

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
I have a T reg Ford Mondeo GLX 1.8i the problem is we are thinking of buying the Bailey 460/4 caravan which has a MTPLM of 1184Kg would this car be able to tow this caravan or do we need to get a new one?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, try www.whattowcar.com to get a quick idea of what your asking, This is a Dutch run site and is o/k for giving some sort of guide, just put in your car and caravan types and it should tell you, Bazz. Only to be used as a guide!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A quick check suggests 1286kg for the car, giving a ratio of 92%. For a 1.8 petrol engine, this will mean that you will struggle to maintain top safe speed, and won't be able to use 5th gear very often.

You'd probably be OK in Norfolk or Holland, but joking aside I think you need a meatier car. How about an ex-company fleet Mondeo with the TD engine? A few people on this site are very keen on it.

According to Parkers the guide price for a 2003/53 (just out of warranty) Mondy estate with the 130PS TD engine is

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
thanks for the advise becuase we wont be touring with it for a few years Ill keep with this car it has a Zetec engine and does tend to have a little grunt at low reves. Next car definatly a bigger desel one

TRENDING THREADS