Help on which 4x4

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi Guys

we have just returned from a week in Wales with our Abby Lancaster, which I tow with an Isuzu Bighorn auto.When I came to work out the total mpg I was gob smacked it only returned 16 mpg.I did very little running around if I had it could have been worse.

When on site I was told that i should look at Vauxhall Fronteras

I know nothing about their power,mpg or how reliable.

Can any one help please??

Or even suggest and alternative for the soon to be gone Bighorn!!!

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
Ken,

We've got a 98 disco 2.5TDI, did 1300 miles going to France and back, 1100 miles with the van and 200 over there, pleasantly surprised at a 35mpg return.

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ken, We have a 06 freelander td4 2.0L, towing a Swift Challenger 500se, have not checked mileage but have been very pleased with fuel consumption on numerous trips to West Wales about 100 miles from where we live.

Regards

Graham (Ponty)

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Thanks to both Martin & Graham.

Makes my mpg seem much worse.

You never know my new truck may be a Disco ,I will have to check the local garages and see if I can get a deal.

If any one know about Fronteras acn you post me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Ken

May 31, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to both Martin & Graham.

Makes my mpg seem much worse.

You never know my new truck may be a Disco ,I will have to check the local garages and see if I can get a deal.

If any one know about Fronteras acn you post me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Ken
As far as I was aware, the bigger Fronteras were just rebadged Isuzu Bighorns, and the smaller ones were rubbish.

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
As far as I was aware, the bigger Fronteras were just rebadged Isuzu Bighorns, and the smaller ones were rubbish.
Thanks George,

I had that somewere in the back of my mind that they were all part of general motors.

thanks for reminding me I could have made another boo boo.

A Disco it could well be then

Ken

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken,

Just got rid of my Bighorn but not because of economy, it was pretty good, about 27 average and 20 towing. You don't say wether yours is petrol or diesel but I assume 3.1 TD as most of the imports are.

Point one you must have a defect such as binding brakes or a poorly tuned engine to give such bad economy or you are giving it too much right foot? Do you keep the speed below 56 MPH?

Point two, Fronteras have various sizes of engine ranging from a 2.2 diesel to a 3.6 petrol, a small engine manual diesel might give you better economy than a Bighorn but not much.

I currently tow with an Auto 3.5 Shogun petrol and the fuel computer shows 21.5 MPG after our latest outing which was about 180 miles towing on mixed roads and 50 miles running about at the site area. It (the fuel computer) shows up to 27 Mpg during non towing use and I am, for such a large motor, pleased with that .

Not wishing to offend Fronterra owners I would say going to one of them from a Bighorn would be a retrograde step.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had a Frontera 2.5 Transglobe it was a great car (Isuzu engine) no problems with it but it was juicy, around 20mpg. Even my Disco3 with a TA manages about 22mpg!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts