Help please - computer advice

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I have an old HP computer which has been a great computer but it's doing some very strange things and I am expecting it to crash and finally die quite soon.

However, my daughter has a decent computer which I would like to connect to the internet. I'm on ntl broadband with my computer.

Can anyone tell me, is it just a question of plugging the broadband lead into my daughter's computer, perhaps installing the broadband disc and away I go, or is there anything else I'll have to do or consider? Will my email address still work etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lisa.

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa,

I'm sure the more knowledgable will correct me if I am wrong, but basically, yes, that should work.

You will have to install the software (broadband disc) and you will also need to know your user name and password which you are currently using on your PC to connect.

Re. your e-mail, you will have to set-up an account in Outlook (or whatever programme you use for e-mail) on your daughter's PC, again using the login details currently used on your PC.

Hopefully then, you should be up and running.

Good luck :)

Janey

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Janey is correct Lisa. If your just changing computers and keeping your existing phone line, modem and broadband software, it should be just a case of loading your disk and plugging in. The only problem I could for see is that if your daughters comp was used in the internet before it might need telling to use your settings as apposed to the old ones. This you should be able to do by going into Internet Explorer/tools/Internet options. As for setting up your email, you will find many helpful sites to guide you through this; there is usually a Q&A section on your ISP home page.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Thanks everyone. I might give it a go at the weekend, I need to think very carefully about it as if we are down to one computer, there might be arguments between mother and daughter over access rights!!

Lisa x

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Lisa.

I guess you provider has a help line, so if you get stuck make sure you have the help line number. They will guide you through the connection.

Try doing the connection early morning , if you need help line advice some providers have very slow response later in the day.

"Early bird catching worm" and all that!

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts