Help Please. Window Re-Seal

Dec 14, 2019
Visit site
Good evening. I'm after some advice/ help please.

I have an Elddis Sunseeker 180 and my rear window is leaking. If it's fully closed the water runs down the inside of the window from the top in 2 places and settles on the bottom of the frame and eventually runs down everywhere else. If I leave it slightly open then the water runs straight out again but that is starting to cause issues with damp whilst parked up for the winter. Obviously I want to get this fixed so any advice appreciated.

I've cleaned all the seals with a toothbrush and soapy water and can't see any obvious leaking signs or damaged seals.

Do I need to remove the window and replace seals or can I just reseal around the windows? Can I get a recommendation for a Sealant aswell please?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190910_183309.jpg
    IMG_20190910_183309.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190916_172509.jpg
    IMG_20190916_172509.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20190910_183306.jpg
    IMG_20190910_183306.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: SHaines

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The issue may be one or both of the following.
First is that water is getting in through the hinge bar screws, or secondly the sealant has failed around the frame.

The best and most ideal way to fix is to remove the window and frame, clean all the old mastic off both caravan and window parts then reseal with Soudall Fixall, paying particular attention to ensuring enough sealant is applied where the screws will go.

Refix the window frame and apply a covering of sealant over the screw heads, remembering to replace the screws with stainless steel screws, then refit the window on the hinge bar.

Oversealing where you just put a bead of sealant around the outside of the window does not work as new sealant will not adhere to old sealant, so is a complete waste of time and effort.

Do the job properly once rather than have to return time and again when the water still comes in.

Dec 14, 2019
Visit site
The issue may be one or both of the following.
First is that water is getting in through the hinge bar screws, or secondly the sealant has failed around the frame.

The best and most ideal way to fix is to remove the window and frame, clean all the old mastic off both caravan and window parts then reseal with Soudall Fixall, paying particular attention to ensuring enough sealant is applied where the screws will go.

Refix the window frame and apply a covering of sealant over the screw heads, remembering to replace the screws with stainless steel screws, then refit the window on the hinge bar.

Oversealing where you just put a bead of sealant around the outside of the window does not work as new sealant will not adhere to old sealant, so is a complete waste of time and effort.

Do the job properly once rather than have to return time and again when the water still comes in.

Hi and thanks for such a quick response.

Its hard to tell where it is coming from exactly. I'm hoping it's the hinge rail. My initial thoughts are to unscrew that rail, remove all old Sealant and re-seal and screw back down.

The window doesn't really have a frame as such. It's frame is built into the van and the window itself just has a hinge at the top and is pressed against the outside shell of the van sealed with rubber seals. It's hard to tell if it's that seal or the rail seal. I guess I won't know until I replace ech of them and test it out?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I mentioned the frame, it was unclear from the photos whether or not it had a frame.
You have now confirmed that it is most likely a Polyplastic unit which does indeed only have a hinge bar and the window rubbers are around the holes in the van wall.
In which case it will almost certainly be the hinge rail at fault, so unhinge the
window and store safely whilst you remove the hinge rail, clean all old mastic, apply new mastic and use new screws to refit.

Dec 14, 2019
Visit site
When I mentioned the frame, it was unclear from the photos whether or not it had a frame.
You have now confirmed that it is most likely a Polyplastic unit which does indeed only have a hinge bar and the window rubbers are around the holes in the van wall.
In which case it will almost certainly be the hinge rail at fault, so unhinge the
window and store safely whilst you remove the hinge rail, clean all old mastic, apply new mastic and use new screws to refit.

That's perfect, thanks very much. One more question though, can you recommend a mastic please?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
I use Soudall Fixall on every job I do for a customer and it is used by most of the manufacturers as well.

Dec 14, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
I use Soudall Fixall on every job I do for a customer and it is used by most of the manufacturers as well.
Thanks. I've ordered some Sealant up and I'll start by removing, cleaning and resealing the hinge rail but looking more into it, I think I'll need to replace the window rubber seal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts