Help required on levelling on deep gravel

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi guys,

We just arrived at a local site late, and ended up not levelling the caravan properly

This was mainly due to the gravel being so deep and making it awkward to use the motor movers / jockey wheel

We had the caravan positioned properly using the motor movers, and onto the gravel which went ok.

Although as soon as we tried levelling the caravan using a ramp (as pictured), this was when the problems started

The wheels were catching on the ramp, and just digging itself into the stones, then the ramp was getting stuck under the motor mover.

Watching the Trudgians, he mentioned to raise the jockey wheel to stop the ramp getting trapped, which I may try

But why on earth do sites lay so much gravel down as this proves difficult when trying to level (sigh)

Can anyone advise any tips so we can get this caravan level, or should we have brought some flat bits of wood?

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0091.jpeg

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
In your position I'd try marking the position of the wheels, pull forward using the tow car, scoop out some gravel on the high side, build up more gravel on the low side and gently reverse back into position.
Failing that a trip to a local builders merchants and a few short planks to build it up.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
To get the car connected without using the motor mover would be slightly difficult

There isn’t much room to drive forward straight, as you can see in the picture, also a lamp post, the path is smaller than it looks

So would I just dig a bit more down in front of both sides of wheels, then lay the wood down, and use the motor mover to come forward up the ramp?

I don’t think its that bad, but just know it‘s not level ?

IMG_0860.jpeg

IMG_0862.jpeg

IMG_0864.jpeg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I will agree with Buckman, surprisingly, the Lock and level in this situation would be the best resolve. For now the long plank , might help but you do need to lift both wheels. Which is almost impossible with ramps, on a TA.
For the jocky wheel on gravel a soft rubber JW. Is best, but for now a flat fairly wide bit of board might work, have a look around, maybe some one has used one before and discarded it.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I will agree with Buckman, surprisingly, the Lock and level in this situation would be the best resolve. For now the long plank , might help but you do need to lift both wheels. Which is almost impossible with ramps, on a TA.
For the jocky wheel on gravel a soft rubber JW. Is best, but for now a flat fairly wide bit of board might work, have a look around, maybe some one has used one before and discarded it.
Plus one. Fitting the two Al-ko wheel locks is amazingly difficult. Lock and Level makes it simple. My own system is hard .😥

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am single axle so gravel is not a problem. Soft grass is worst as the van sinks in, with the ramp as well. Depending on the site security I don't bother fitting the Alko wheel locks. I thought with the van getting older the insurance would decrease, but at 10 years old it's still going up.
Edit,
Hope I am not diverting the thread.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does the rubber mat come with the Lock and Level?

I would imagine this is imperative on gravel and sharp stones.

If not can you advise any links to the mat to use?

Thanks
Piece of old conveyor belt will do the same or even an piece of old carpet. The Lock n Level itself is very robust and doubt of gravel will damage it. You could Google for "Grip mat" either Maypole or Milenco.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
When we had the twin axle the purchase of the Lock & Level made life so much easier! I purchased a couple of rubber car mats from Halfords and used those underneath it for protection.

lock-level.jpg

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I carry a small bottle jack which I place under the chassis, I jack it up till level and then lower the stabilizers, works ok if you don’t mind lying on the gravel.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I use a rubber boot liner, folded in half. £9.99 from Amazon and has served us well for 5 years (still looks new)
Doesn't soak up the water and mud like a carpet

As the bit of carpet is under the Lock n Level it should not pick up much water however good point. Whether piece fo old carpet or rubber mat, sadly both will pick up mud.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts