help with buying a new van please

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
HI i came into a bit of money latley due to a relitive passing away i have put some to a new car disco4 tdv6 and we have some left me and family would like a new van or newish we got about 17k to spend on one but as i have no knowlege on new vans (the most i ever spent was £1500 on old ones) so i was asking if some some one can give us any ideas thanks peter

Jun 13, 2006
Visit site
Oh dear Landypete, you might regret asking that question ;-)

All I can say is write down all the things that your new van must have, all the things that you would like to have, and then start looking on the various manufacture web sites. Or go visit a few dealers and see what fits your requirements.

I have just taken delivery of a Bailey Pegasus 534 and it is exactly what I want. However, others on this forum will have their own favourites.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Oh dear Landypete, you might regret asking that question ;-)

All I can say is write down all the things that your new van must have, all the things that you would like to have, and then start looking on the various manufacture web sites. Or go visit a few dealers and see what fits your requirements.

I have just taken delivery of a Bailey Pegasus 534 and it is exactly what I want. However, others on this forum will have their own favourites.
thankyou mick i dont have a clue what to look for i have 3kids between 2mths& 9yrs old i have had a look about and i like the look of the luner quasar 556 but dont have a clue were to go to look at one as the only dealers near me bilston (wolverhampton) dont do new vans as parksy lives near me i hope he can put me on the right track if he reads this all help is gratefully recived i think i may out of my depth a little ie you want a new ford car you go to local dealer but i dont how it works with caravans thanks peter

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Peter

From Bilston go down the New Road towards Brumijum until you reach the end where the New Road meets Hagley Road. Just across the junction is Chichester Caravans and that's the nearest Lunar dealership to you. That branch of Chichester are also Bailey stockists so if you have a wander around their forecourt you will be able to compare both makes.

If I were you I'd just have a general look around to start with, don't mention the amount that you have available to the salesman but look inside the caravans to find out which caravan suits the needs of your family.

Another reputable dealership if you fancy a nice ride out for a Sunday are Broad Lane Leisure who are a wee bit further out, their nearest branch is at Alcester off the M42.

Broad Lane are Lunar, Swift Group,Bailey, Elddis and Coachman dealers so there will be plenty of makes to compare, see which one grabs you the most when you find a caravan to fit the bill.

Good Luck with the search Peter, I'll forward my email address so that you can contact me if you need to.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Peter

From Bilston go down the New Road towards Brumijum until you reach the end where the New Road meets Hagley Road. Just across the junction is Chichester Caravans and that's the nearest Lunar dealership to you. That branch of Chichester are also Bailey stockists so if you have a wander around their forecourt you will be able to compare both makes.

If I were you I'd just have a general look around to start with, don't mention the amount that you have available to the salesman but look inside the caravans to find out which caravan suits the needs of your family.

Another reputable dealership if you fancy a nice ride out for a Sunday are Broad Lane Leisure who are a wee bit further out, their nearest branch is at Alcester off the M42.

Broad Lane are Lunar, Swift Group,Bailey, Elddis and Coachman dealers so there will be plenty of makes to compare, see which one grabs you the most when you find a caravan to fit the bill.

Good Luck with the search Peter, I'll forward my email address so that you can contact me if you need to.
thanks steve i did not think of chichester caravans i had my first van from there a crown 134s i think

i only thougt of charnwoods bilston and that one down the dip of new road on left just before tescos dudley i will go there in morning as got to go to towsure thanks peter aka peter@wolves

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The one on the left near to Burnt Tree is Jabez Baker and he mainly sells Swifts, I don't think that he sells new caravans Peter but Chichester is only just up the road from Towsure.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
There is another caravan dealer near Cosford too. Chichester Caravans have 2 other branches at Bromsgrove & Stourport too, when we were looking for a relative in Tipton, we had to travel to 2 different branches to see the whole range.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
thanks for all advice i went to a dealer this morning (got soaked) looks like may have the luner but i have read on here somewere that thay are called leaky luners is this still the case and got offered some options one was a alko secure wheel lock i f also read that thay can be a pain to fit also alko atc the prob i have also relised that the dico we are having the dealer is putting the twin sockets on tow bar and this luner has a 13 pin plug so i will have to get that changed but is it true that some dealers dont wire these plugs up for the atc or fridge i have read some were but cant remember wich one that wire up and is the atc worth the extra

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Lunar were bought out by the management a while back so hopefully the old 'Leaky Lunar' tag is a thing of the past. From what I've seen just by reading through this and other forums most buyers who choose Lunar are very happy with them and from forum posts Lunars are no worse than any other caravan. The Lunar Clubman SE appears to have enjoyed very good sales recently but the most important thing with any caravan is to buy from a reputable dealer. If anything does go wrong it is then rectified quickly and without fuss.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
If you are looking at a new van, then I would get the Land Rover converted to 13 pin from 7 pin connectors. not only does this save the need for dangly converter wires, but the 13 pin connector is much more secure as it twist connects rather than just pushing in.

Non fully connected wires are usually on factory fit systems on European cars. If the dealer is aware that you want a fully wired 13 pin connection then this should not be a problem.

As an aside, the weakest point in a wire is the connection so why have 3 when 1 will do!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Pete,

Some manufactures may have earned certain reputations for leaks than others, It is difficult to get to the truth on the actual numbers, so don't be swayed too far by these rumours.

I am absolutely certain that all manufacturer try to make 'dry' caravans, and it is fairly certain that a good proportion of all caravans don't leak.

Sadly it somewhat down to pot luck, though Bailey with their newest ranges have made some impressive claims about how water tight their products are - it remains to be seen how true it is.

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Pete,

Also have a nosey at The Caravan Place near Bridgnorth. It's round the back of Garden Village Garden Centre on the A454 and has a selection of nearly new (and older) vans. I can vouch for their good customer service having bought my '98 Mirage from there last year.

MM (also Bilston)

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
thanks all going back on saterday to have a better look whith kids see if thay can stop in it for 5mins without brakeing it lol LR are putting on a fully wired 13 pin socket for me

i would like some advice on the atc is it worth the extra money as dealer breifley told me adout it but i dont think he knew much himself thanks

peter

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
We retro fitted ATC to our first van & both of our last two vans have had it standard. To me caravans are intrinsically unstable, so anything that can help is a good idea.

It works by independently applying the caravan brakes to straighten out the outfit if it detects significant lateral movement from the caravan.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
thanks zafiral i will deff have that as it should be better for when i sell it on in a good few years do no anything about the wheel locks as i was told thay can be a pain to line up thanks peter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts