Are pitch prices going crazy

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I use CC membership for access to Mayday (Green Flag), Caravan Cover (insurance) and CLs - on that basis the membership fee is reasonable value.

Much the same here. And we store our caravan on a CMHC site, and to do that we have to be members.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It must be an age thing🤔
Decades ago we would only use child friendly Caravan Club friendly sites. They served their purpose well and no doubt still do for the family.
Then we aspired to Adult sites only, hopefully noise free. That lead to discovering a whole new life on CLs and sometimes Commercials. Club sites are no longer a cheap option but at least you know what you are getting.

My biggest gripe with the CAMC is you are not allowed to pre book your pitch. After a long journey I don’t want to be trampling around looking for a pitch, find what I like to discover someone beat me to it five minutes earlier🤬

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It must be an age thing🤔
Decades ago we would only use child friendly Caravan Club friendly sites. They served their purpose well and no doubt still do for the family.
Then we aspired to Adult sites only, hopefully noise free. That lead to discovering a whole new life on CLs and sometimes Commercials. Club sites are no longer a cheap option but at least you know what you are getting.

My biggest gripe with the CAMC is you are not allowed to pre book your pitch. After a long journey I don’t want to be trampling around looking for a pitch, find what I like to discover someone beat me to it five minutes earlier🤬
You need to join the warden's clique to be able to reserve specific pitches - many years ago we got very friendly with the wardens at CC Gwern-y-Bwlch and kept in touch with them when they moved to CC Rosedale Abbey, which officially had no electrics in those days - during one phone call they asked why we weren't going to see them, we answered that there were no electrics and couldn't stay more than 21 nights - no problem they said, we do have two electric hookups which aren't publicised so we'll keep one for you - and don't worry about the 21 night limit, we'll just make two separate bookings!

I suspect that the present CC computer systems make it much harder for wardens to give favours.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
To be totally honest I would love some decent quality grass pitches off-grid with some peace and quiet. A decent shower block would be nice but for a few days away £20 or less a night per van in a field would be perfect.
We've just spent a long weekend rallying on a commercial site for £20 a night.
Next trip is an off-grid CL @ £9 a night. No shower block but we've got our own in the van.
They're out there if you care to look for them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We've just spent a long weekend rallying on a commercial site for £20 a night.
Next trip is an off-grid CL @ £9 a night. No shower block but we've got our own in the van.
They're out there if you care to look for them.
And you’ll be using gas for heating , hot water and fridge👍👍

Apr 5, 2024
Visit site
I agree, we feel the price of the on CMC sites has gone too high. It seems when they altered the priceing structure to suit the single traveller, as it was unfair to charge for two if you are only one. But it seems they didn't reduce the pitch fee, it was kept roughly the same and then added on an extra 'figure ' for two people. Also the cost involved in a cancellation or ammendment, and the time limit of 21 days is also unreasonable. I accept the cost of everything is going up, but when you start to way up overall costs, if like us we now have to store our van, plus insurance, plus an annual service you are talking approx £800 plus a year before you go anywhere.
We do like to use CMC sites with facilities ie toilets, we use the shower in the van. Yes our choice, but as some site fees now approaching £50 a night caravaning is not that a cheaper holiday. So we are seriously considering after 40 plus years of caravaning giving it up due to purely falue for money.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree, we feel the price of the on CMC sites has gone too high. It seems when they altered the priceing structure to suit the single traveller, as it was unfair to charge for two if you are only one. But it seems they didn't reduce the pitch fee, it was kept roughly the same and then added on an extra 'figure ' for two people. Also the cost involved in a cancellation or ammendment, and the time limit of 21 days is also unreasonable. I accept the cost of everything is going up, but when you start to way up overall costs, if like us we now have to store our van, plus insurance, plus an annual service you are talking approx £800 plus a year before you go anywhere.
We do like to use CMC sites with facilities ie toilets, we use the shower in the van. Yes our choice, but as some site fees now approaching £50 a night caravaning is not that a cheaper holiday. So we are seriously considering after 40 plus years of caravaning giving it up due to purely falue for money.
21 days cancellation notice isn’t too bad compared to other forms of self contained holiday accommodation. Payment in full six weeks before arrival with no refund after that date is often the norm. You can take out travel insurance but it doesn’t cover some of the reasons people cancel.

I’ve recently had to cancel two weeks in Scotland as I needed June -July free of commitment and the deadline for 100% refund (£1200) was approaching. Fortunately I now can do what I like in June July but that’s another holiday gone. So now the roof box will be fitted and lists all made, diaries kept clear so we can book a very short notice holiday.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
21 days cancellation notice isn’t too bad compared to other forms of self contained holiday accommodation. Payment in full six weeks before arrival with no refund after that date. You can take out travel insurance but it doesn’t cover some of the reasons people cancel.

I’ve recently had to cancel two weeks in Scotland as I needed June -July free of commitment and the deadline for 100% refund (£1200) was approaching. Fortunately I now can do what I like in June July but that’s another holiday gone.
On the other hand, it's not difficult to find conventional holiday accomodation with free cancellation up to 1pm on day of arrival, eg Premier Inn Flex rate - albeit with a small premium over more restrictive deals.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On the other hand, it's not difficult to find conventional holiday accomodation with free cancellation up to 1pm on day of arrival, eg Premier Inn Flex rate - albeit with a small premium over more restrictive deals.
Your right and Bookings.com do late cancellation and I had used them for stop overs going to and from Scotland on the holiday recently cancelled. . But do I really want to stay in a Premier Inn for two weeks with a dog too. A big No No. My post specifically referred to “self contained “ holiday accommodation not inns, hotels, bb etc. We prefer cottages, chalets, statics etc. where we have space and some outdoors areas. That’s closer to the caravan holidays that we so enjoyed and miss.

PS had we booked Penrith Premier inn on our outward journey it would be £99 flex compared to £80 standard. Hardly a small premium. The Cross Keys Inn Tebay was £80 via Bookings. Com with late cancellation policy. Plus they sell real ales too 👍

Last edited:

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Your right and Bookings.com do late cancellation and I had used them for stop overs going to and from Scotland on the holiday recently cancelled. . But do I really want to stay in a Premier Inn for two weeks with a dog too. A big No No. My post specifically referred to “self contained “ holiday accommodation not inns, hotels, bb etc. We prefer cottages, chalets, statics etc. where we have space and some outdoors areas. That’s closer to the caravan holidays that we so enjoyed and miss.

And you can't fire up the BBQ in a Premier Inn :D:D:D they are also one of the chains that don't take dogs too.. Unless their policy has changed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And you can't fire up the BBQ in a Premier Inn :D:D:D they are also one of the chains that don't take dogs too.. Unless their policy has changed.
You are rught PI don’t take dogs and the hot tubs and deck/garden are very rare.😢
. Some Travelodges do take dogs.

Reactions: JRT

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
As we often head south to see family we split the journey around the Carlisle area. We've found that on a Sunday the Travelodge at Todhills is the cheapest. A couple of weeks ago £25. Its a reasonable quality and is only somewhere to put our heads down for the night. On the way back we'll often stay at the Travelodge in Falkirk. The TLs they've we've used are a little cheaper than the Premier Inns in the same area and no difference in quality. Some will take dogs.

I don't find the CAMC deposit scheme unfair. Supposedly one of the reasons was to stop speculative bookings and then finding people cancelled at the last minute - bad weather or whatever. They lose income we lose the ability to book the pitch unless we're looking at the last minute.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The deposit scheme is the fault of the people who cancel late and no shows. They cost the club huge sums and have forced the club to act. As deposit schemes go it is far less onerous than most including the C&CC one so is difficult to criticise. Many private sites want full payment some time before you go which is far worse. Deposits are a fact of life and you have to live with it.

Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
I think in more ways than one I have concluded that although nothing is cheap anymore, caravaning can offer good value for money, however when you consider the cost of the vehicle to tow the caravan, the caravan itself and all the accoutrements that go with it, plus servicing etc etc. I do wonder if really it's a false economy.

All that said I think it's caravning offers way more than value for money holidays, simply having a caravan on the drive or in storage gives you the psychological edge, the knowledge that escape from everyday life, problems and local nonsense is simply a hitch up away.

For me on reflection the caravan represents the potential of total escape and freedom with little hassle and all my own comforts ... when you consider they say 'what price peace of mind' then the caravan is worth its weight in gold no matter how much the pitches cost or for that matter if the unit doesn't move that much in a year, the potential is always there and I sit looking at my ready-made freedom unit each day. Now thats worth a lot !

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The deposit scheme is the fault of the people who cancel late and no shows. They cost the club huge sums and have forced the club to act. As deposit schemes go it is far less onerous than most including the C&CC one so is difficult to criticise. Many private sites want full payment some time before you go which is far worse. Deposits are a fact of life and you have to live with it.
In general I don't pay deposits or full payment before I arrive for caravan pitches or hotel rooms - so far this has had limited effect on bookings I make - I do make exceptions for special events, like festivals.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you don’t like it don’t use it!

If you don’t use it you will lose it!

This is the case imo with CAMC sites.
Some are actually positioned in wonderful places, eg St Agnes Head Cornwall, Altnahara Sutherland by Loch Naver. Ah these two have no facilities , just EHU, water and chemical disposal. What more do you want?

Hillhead, not been there , caters for the families with children.
Old dogs like me get the benefit of CLs .
On reflection and checking prices maybe the CAMC isn’t too bad and maybe it really is all things to all people. A tall order
After the issues with Chatsworth maybe the new deposit system is working and giving more certainty to those looking for a holiday of more than two nights duration.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Every Travelodge we have stayed in has taken dogs but they charge a ridiculous £20 per stay whether it's for one night or more.

Compared to the €5 we normally pay per night in an equivalent type hotel in France that's expensive given we only ever use Travelodge as one night stop overs.

TRENDING THREADS