Help with tow car please

Jan 30, 2006
Visit site
Hi Everyone

We have just purchased a Swift Challenger 540,unlaiden 1290kgs, and fully laiden 1500kgs.

We would like suggestions on a diesel estate car used please.

thanks Brian (Cannock)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian,at that weight youve a great choice of tugs m8...I personally would reccomend mondeo 130 bhp....if you check out whattowcar.co.uk first class web site they will keep you on the straight and narrow

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian,

As an alternative to Alans' suggestion, what about an Audi A6? We use one for towing and it is a great towcar.

The only thing I suggest though is that with the weight of the challenger I would go for a larger engine than the one in our car (1.9TDI).

Hope this helps

Regards

Steve

Apr 30, 2006
Visit site
Brian

We have a 540 and towed with an 03 Mondeo 115TDCI saloon, it towed the van very well albeit the weight ratio was about 98%. However it didn't give me any problems. It was quick to pull away and towed easily in 5th gear at 50mph (sometimes cept up a bit more as it pulled the van easily) I would assume the 130 would pull the van easily, you will just have t check the weight ratio. We have recently replaced the vehicle not for any other reason than it was time to change and the mondeo having done 78,000 (still running superbly) was an ideal and economical car for my daughter who has to tavel 40 miles each to work each day

Jon

Apr 30, 2006
Visit site
Brian

We have a 540 and towed with an 03 Mondeo 115TDCI saloon, it towed the van very well albeit the weight ratio was about 98%. However it didn't give me any problems. It was quick to pull away and towed easily in 5th gear at 50mph (sometimes cept up a bit more as it pulled the van easily) I would assume the 130 would pull the van easily, you will just have t check the weight ratio. We have recently replaced the vehicle not for any other reason than it was time to change and the mondeo having done 78,000 (still running superbly) was an ideal and economical car for my daughter who has to tavel 40 miles each to work each day

Jon
PS

Great van we love it

Jon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello alan,

In the majority of cases the nose weight is limited by the capacity of the towball and the car. The vast majority of cars seem to have an upper limit of 75Kg, but as ever you must check the details of the specific car, towball and caravan you have, and not rely on suggestions from the forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts