Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Help guys all you with the knowledge of weights n stuff please help a thicko!

I have just taken delivery of my brand new Bailey Pageant Burgundy 1400Kgs which I currently tow with my company car (VW Sharan TDI).

Next year company car will be Toyota Avensis estate (Garbage towing limit according to book only 1351Kgs)

What do I do wife wants new car so do we buy a big one for her so we can tow or try the Avensis and dont load the van?

Wife fancies one of two cars Mondeo estate 2 Litre Petrol or TDCI manual or Auto (Auto preferred)

Or we have seen a lovley S type Jag on a Y plate which is a 3litre Auto

The question is what do I do ??? My heart says Jag (so do my kids and wife )but will it tow ok ( I know its gonna be thirsty but we don't do to many miles )

So to recap

Avensis and dont load van too much?

Jag (will it tow ok)?

or Mondeo estate (will that tow 1400Kgs ok)?

Sorry to go on but I have not had much help from my dealer who told me the avensis would be ok only to find out from his own maintenance dept it wouldnt, but hey ho life goes on.

Thanks

Dave (confused Numpty Blackpool)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If the towing limit really is 1351kg (I'll take your word for it although it does sound very peculiar to have such an odd figure), there's nothing to stop you towing a 1400kg van, even if it is fully laden. The towing limit is NOT the total weight of the caravan but only its axle load. So, if the maximum permissible axle load is 1351kg and the noseweight 75kg (I assume), then the maximum weight of the van could be 1426kg which is more than yours at 1400kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
know the feeling I recently changed my gas gusling jeep to a mondeo tdci,best thing I ever did,superb towing machine from scotland to cornwall,averaging 38 to gallon,62 miles per hour,cruise control hills no problem,max tow is 1800 kg although personally I wouldnt exceed kerb weight of car

Dave,

I currently Tow my Swift Challenger 490 Lse with a New Jaguar S Type 2.7 Diesel. This is a perfect 85% match for this Van. The Handling and performance are excellent. Its 6 Speed auto Box copes very well, it is also Rear Wheel Drive. Solo performance is Stunning. I changed to the Jag from an 03 plate Shogun 3.2 Tdi Lwb. Probably the ultimate Tow Car but useless solo and very Thirsty especially when Towing. The Jag does 38/42 Mpg Solo and around 28/30 Towing. The downside to this Car however is its Small Boot and generally low profile, which gives limited Head room in the rear Seats. But for me the overall advantages of owning a sporty Car which can also Tow, as an alternative to a 4x4, outweigh the disadvantages.

I know that second hand Diesel S types are still Holding their Price but if you can, try and get one of these as the 3Litre Petrol versions are very Thirsty even when Solo, there have also been reliability problems with the earlier Models. Having Towed mant Thousands of Miles with all Types of vehicles, I can honestly say that this Car is defiitely in the Top Three.

Regaards Eddie 1 From Nottingham.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts