Sep 5, 2005
Visit site
we are new to caravanning,having just brought one with a weight of 1150kg,we currentley have a zafria club diesel is this okay to tow this but are looking to change car.nearly brought a toyota new rav 4 xt3 diesel but just can not work out weight and towing power of this vehicle been getting mixed comments from people.would like a good towing vehicle.any suggestions

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Kim,

Confusing isn't it!

Lets start with the Zafira. As you dont say how old the Zafira is. I will assume it is the Mk1. Sadly when Vauxhall made the Mk1 Zafira, they didn't give as much thought to towing, and as a result it is only rated to tow a maximum weight of 1050Kg. You must not exceed this figure.

The caravan you have purchased you say has a weight of 1150Kg, but you don't say if it is the maximum or the bare caravan weight.

If it is the bare weight then it is not legal to tow it with the Zafira, however if it is the maximum weight, then you may have a chance by loading it very lightly,and ensuring it never exceded the Zafiras limit of 1050.

I would observe that it is unlikely that you would easiliy manage to keep the weight down, especially when you consider things like the weight of 12 battery, gas bottles etc, cutlery and other esential items.

Realistically you do need to consider a more able tow car, having said that the Mk2 Zafira has a much better towing margin, and if you like the Zafira the Mk2 could be what you are looking for. Also consider the VW Touran, which is a good rival to Zafira.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'd just like to add that the 1050kg towload limit is the axle load of the caravan not its total weight, so by adding the noseweight of 75kg, you could actually load the caravan up to 1125kg total weight. You would then be only 25kg short of the 1150kg figure that you quote (assuming, as John also says, that it's the max. weight you're talking about, not unladen).

Sep 5, 2005
Visit site
I'd just like to add that the 1050kg towload limit is the axle load of the caravan not its total weight, so by adding the noseweight of 75kg, you could actually load the caravan up to 1125kg total weight. You would then be only 25kg short of the 1150kg figure that you quote (assuming, as John also says, that it's the max. weight you're talking about, not unladen).
hi,thanks for your help reading the paperwork it sya max gross laden weight1150 kg,so do i take it that means with all the extras loaded on eg gas ,wtaer barrel etc etc.it says ex.works unladen weight 887kg.confusing is not the word.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, Kim. 1150kg is the maximum total weight with everything on board - gas, water barrel, dishes, kitchen utensils, clothes, food, etc., i.e. the lot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts