Hi all! Newbie needing some model advice!

Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,
Last week I bought my first caravan! I'd been looking for one for a while but it's fair to say that this was probably an impulse buy after seeing it on Ebay. I've bought a 2009 Abbey Expression 480 which is the fixed bed, 4 berth version. Its a tidy caravan that, in the main has been well looked after but it does have a few problems. Hopefully the majority should be reasonably straightforward to fix
What I would like to buy is an awning but I'm unclear what is the correct size or a decent brand to buy. As far as size is concerned the advice I've been given is to measure the diameter of the caravan to get the A-Measurement but unfortunately Ithe caravan is kept on a campsite in Pickering so I can't get to it until our next visit at the beginning of August. I believe that my caravan is essentially the Abbey Vogue 2 470 but I'd be grateful if anyone could confirm? If so, the suggested awning size is 908cm. Can anyone provide some suggestions of decent brands and places to buy, either online or in the West Yorkshire area?
Thanks in advance!
Phil.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Phil13 said:
Hi all,
Last week I bought my first caravan! I'd been looking for one for a while but it's fair to say that this was probably an impulse buy after seeing it on Ebay. I've bought a 2009 Abbey Expression 480 which is the fixed bed, 4 berth version. Its a tidy caravan that, in the main has been well looked after but it does have a few problems. Hopefully the majority should be reasonably straightforward to fix
What I would like to buy is an awning but I'm unclear what is the correct size or a decent brand to buy. As far as size is concerned the advice I've been given is to measure the diameter of the caravan to get the A-Measurement but unfortunately Ithe caravan is kept on a campsite in Pickering so I can't get to it until our next visit at the beginning of August. I believe that my caravan is essentially the Abbey Vogue 2 470 but I'd be grateful if anyone could confirm? If so, the suggested awning size is 908cm. Can anyone provide some suggestions of decent brands and places to buy, either online or in the West Yorkshire area?
Thanks in advance!
Phil.

You could contact Swift group who should be able to advise as it’s not all that old.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
My Googling came back with A-A measurement of 908cm too and 910cm from Isabella

Recent posts seem to say steer clear of Kampa and Isabella is the best.

There’s often Isabella on the CMHC website sales. Magnums are good as they can be used on different size caravans. Bradcot and Dorema I’ve found to be good too. But Isabella are renowned for quality and after sales support.

Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
Many thanks all. Really useful advice and much appreciated! I've been looking at the Dorema awnings whcih seem to be decent quality and not too pricey. I've read the older posts on this forum about which poles to buy (steel, alloy or fibre). The consensus seems to be to stay away from alloy but steel seems to be the best option for strength where as fibre gets the thumbs up for flexibility and less likely to snap in bad weather. It's unlikely we'd be using the awning when we know storms or heavy weather is forecast so any suggestions? Are there any other benefits for choosing fibre poles?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our present Dorema uses alloy and in the gales at New Year it withstood the best that Cornwall could offer. My Magnum had fibre poles and again I never had any concern over their capability. I tend to go for lightness to save payload. You cannot realistically not expect your awning not to see high winds. Forecasts do change as we found at New Year so you have to be prepared. I use the spring storm guys that just clip into the sockets pre mounted on the Dorema. Isabella does it differently but effectively. I also carry extra guys and some long steel 10 inch pegs, and there’s always a ratchet strap in the car. But the makers storm straps are normally enough. If we are sure that really bad storm force is going to hit we will take the awning down if the outfit is exposed. And then attach guys to the van. (Joke)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. You sound like you want a full awning rather than a porch? Is it to be used on a seasonal pitch. If so steel poles get my vote. If you are touring with the van then you may prefer something lighter weight. Can I suggest you look at Walker awnings as well. Cheaper than Isabella and really good quality, Ten Cate canvas.
If it is being left up on a seasonal pitch another tip is to get some ratchet straps ( we got 4 for a tenner from Aldi) and put a couple over the frame inside the awning.. Put a rubber ladder on the hooks and peg down. Rachet to tension. As well as the external storm straps the ratchet straps will help stop the awning from hopping about in windy conditions.
Mel

Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
Hi Mel. Thanks for the reply. You're right, it is a full awning rather than a porch awning that I'm after. It won't be used seasonally, probably just once or twice a month but we we're not planning on touring it around either, certainly not this year. I'll have a look at the Walker awnings. Thanks for the tip!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Phil13 said:
Hi Mel. Thanks for the reply. You're right, it is a full awning rather than a porch awning that I'm after. It won't be used seasonally, probably just once or twice a month but we we're not planning on touring it around either, certainly not this year. I'll have a look at the Walker awnings. Thanks for the tip!

There are midi awnings like the Isabella Magnum, others do them up to 4.3 metre wide. They are quite a lot larger than what was normally consider a porch but not full size. They are still marketed as porch though. The advantage is that they are lighter and can move between caravans. Hence saving the costs associated with changing an awning when you change your caravan. Also midi awnings can be easier to sell onwards as they are not size specific to a caravan. They can have extra annex’s etc too. Worth a look.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
.....There are midi awnings like the Isabella Magnum, others do them up to 4.3 metre wide. They are quite a lot larger than what was normally consider a porch but not full size. They are still marketed as porch though. The advantage is that they are lighter and can move between caravans. Hence saving the costs associated with changing an awning when you change your caravan. Also midi awnings can be easier to sell onwards as they are not size specific to a caravan. They can have extra annex’s etc too. Worth a look......

Not quite a full awning but bigger than a porch awning :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
otherclive said:
.....There are midi awnings like the Isabella Magnum, others do them up to 4.3 metre wide. They are quite a lot larger than what was normally consider a porch but not full size. They are still marketed as porch though. The advantage is that they are lighter and can move between caravans. Hence saving the costs associated with changing an awning when you change your caravan. Also midi awnings can be easier to sell onwards as they are not size specific to a caravan. They can have extra annex’s etc too. Worth a look......

Not quite a full awning but bigger than a porch awning :)

Yours is a long caravan and the awning on a shorter van could almost rival a full size one. Conventional midi/porch awnings allow the same accessories such as verandas, bedroom annexes etc just like full size ones.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
True Clive, I must state that that is just shy off being an 8 metre van so anything smaller than that could resemble it being nearly a full-size awning to some ! :blush:
But to the original post who was looking for awnings we got that off Gumtree for a good price so search websites like that etc .

Craig .

Edit , we got this awning that is in the picture plus the inside annexe Plus vertical stabilizing pole plus storm straps and a box of rock pegs and a few other things all for £26o !! From a couple that had sold their caravan and had bought a static so scour the web sites !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts