Hi from Scotland

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi there, new to the forum. We are excited to be picking up our new (to us) caravan in the next couple of weeks.

We got an old caravan as a wedding gift back in 2015 (as an upgrade to camping) and we have absolutely loved it. but last year, the caravan was starting to become a bit rickety.

we'll be looking for tips and advice along the way on how to make the best out of the caravan. but so far, we have a trip to Arran and Clachtoll planned, which we are very excited about.

First advice we are looking for is do people keep their bedding and kitchenware in the house/garage etc. between holidays, or do you store it in the caravan to avoid extra packing? the last time we went on holiday it took us about 4 hours to pack and prepare the caravan :ROFLMAO: and would like to get the time down significantly :LOL:

(picture of our old caravan)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-23-13-29-49-78_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-23-13-29-49-78_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
    897.6 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: SHaines
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. We left kitchen ware in the caravan, but bedding was stored in the house. Caravan seats/mattresses etc remained in the caravan. We could store it within two hours as we had a number of spreadsheets for different types of trip. IE winter/ summer/ UK/Europe, weekend through to month. We were disciplined wrt the lists as everything had been weighed and the stowage location predetermined. Quite quickly it became second nature.

Reactions: CharlieBook
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Welcome aboard. We use vacuum bags for bedding and towels over winter as it keeps them fresh and compresses them down a LOT so they take up less storage space.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi CharlieBook Welcome to the forum we use leave the bedding in the caravan in vacuum bags in the summer months but wintertime in our bungalow the kitchenware left in the caravan

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Kitchenware and other equipment stay in the van. The bedding usually comes home in the winter, but as we use the van all year that sort of depends on how long it will be between trips. As we don’t use he awning every time, that always comes home. Everyone finds a system that works for them so give different things a go.
mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We leave our bedding on the bed and have never bothered with vacuum bags. Even the TVs stay in the caravan over the winter.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We leave our bedding on the bed and have never bothered with vacuum bags. Even the TVs stay in the caravan over the winter.

Have you never experienced any mould growth? We used to leave the bedding in as you do but one year we noticed small mould spores growing on the pillow cases. We now wash, dry and vacuum pack everything before it gets laid up (October) and when we take it all out again the following Easter it's remained fresh and ready. I was amazed just how much those vacuum bags can compress a the contents!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have you never experienced any mould growth? We used to leave the bedding in as you do but one year we noticed small mould spores growing on the pillow cases. We now wash, dry and vacuum pack everything before it gets laid up (October) and when we take it all out again the following Easter it's remained fresh and ready. I was amazed just how much those vacuum bags can compress a the contents!

No issue with mould. Just to clarify we leave the bedding in the caravan, but remove the sheets.

Reactions: GaryB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Aha, same as us. We leave all cushions etc in but remove all sheets, towels etc.
We do the same as Mel and Buckmam, leave the bedding in the caravan, duvet cover and base sheet and pillow cases at home, but everything else left in, Including any unopened rice Pasta, never know when the next trip will be , one week or two months, ahead.

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. We left kitchen ware in the caravan, but bedding was stored in the house. Caravan seats/mattresses etc remained in the caravan. We could store it within two hours as we had a number of spreadsheets for different types of trip. IE winter/ summer/ UK/Europe, weekend through to month. We were disciplined wrt the lists as everything had been weighed and the stowage location predetermined. Quite quickly it became second nature.

A person after my own heart. I live by lists and do have a list, it just seemed to take hours to pack and prep. maybe we just need to get out in the caravan more to get into a routine more :tonguewink:

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
thanks everyone. I will invest in vacuum bags for the duvets etc. and think i'll get a box for the kitchenware in as I always wanted to clean in the dishwasher before we headed away. but if it is kept in a airtight box, hopefully it means they will be clean for use :laughing:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A person after my own heart. I live by lists and do have a list, it just seemed to take hours to pack and prep. maybe we just need to get out in the caravan more to get into a routine more :tonguewink:
With more trips under your belt the storing time will come down. If we were going for a weekend my wife would do it after she arrived home at mid day, when I got back by mid afternoon it was all ready to roll.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. We leave all kitchen wear in the caravan as it is not likely to need any attention but keep bedding at home until we are going away except for a duvet which is for the caravan as smaller than the ones we use at home. We do have a mattress protector on the bed to make sure this remains pristine for the time when we sell the caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. We leave all kitchen wear in the caravan as it is not likely to need any attention but keep bedding at home until we are going away except for a duvet which is for the caravan as smaller than the ones we use at home. We do have a mattress protector on the bed to make sure this remains pristine for the time when we sell the caravan.

We do the same with kitchenware over the winter, but before we go out again we take it all home and put the lot through the dishwasher. Nice and sparkling clean afterwards. :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts