High pressure tyre valves

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My tyres will be five years old in November this year. Given that they will not have done any meaningful mileage now for 4.5 months I am planning to renew them prior to heading for Yorkshire in May. They are good quality Hankooks which do get turned when in storage, but like many things tyres do benefit by being used. The set cold pressure is 59psi, and currently the tyre valves are standard ones. I am thinking of having hp valves fitted, but a neighbour told me when he had them on his motorhome they were difficult to reinflate or check pressures. He reckoned it wasn't uncommon to loose more air than he put in.

My tyres are 175/14C on standard Swift alloys.

Any experiences to share please?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't see any logical benefit of fitting a valve that has a higher pressure rating than the valve that has the correct one for the given tyre.

Most tyre valves are at least partly pressure activated, meaning the internal pressure helps to close the seal. There is a danger with considering a higher pressure design, in so far the sealing element may be a harder material and a lower pressure might not be enough activate it enough.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
My tyres will be five years old in November this year. Given that they will not have done any meaningful mileage now for 4.5 months I am planning to renew them prior to heading for Yorkshire in May. They are good quality Hankooks which do get turned when in storage, but like many things tyres do benefit by being used. The set cold pressure is 59psi, and currently the tyre valves are standard ones. I am thinking of having hp valves fitted, but a neighbour told me when he had them on his motorhome they were difficult to reinflate or check pressures. He reckoned it wasn't uncommon to loose more air than he put in.

My tyres are 175/14C on standard Swift alloys.

Why fit HP tyre valves,list the advantages they have over regular tyre valves.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
During my apprenticeship on aircraft, we were told that the internal valves were to stop,air from coming out when removing the inflator, and the threaded valve caps were the real seals. This is on pressures up to 250 psi. I always fit metal valve caps, which have sealing o rings on my tyre valves.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why fit HP tyre valves,list the advantages they have over regular tyre valves.

I just asked the question as I had read in a MH magazine that tyres at 60psi or above should fit HP valves. I was looking for any views and experience, not expecting to be asked to list the advantages. that's not how it is supposed to work. Anyway its now history as the new tyres are fitted and wheels torqued up.

Reactions: Kevin M
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry OC you asked the question.

Only that as ever seeking something definitive doesn't happen. But here's a good read for your post-pub evening. Page 49 of 150 says it all!!!

http://www.etrto.org/Recommendations/

But the bit on FRT markings on tyres confirms that you can have specific trailer tyres(on the non driven non steering tyres) as made by two manufacturers that I have used...GT Radial and Kendo. Presumably there are others. The worrying thing is that I see on several web sites selling such tyres that they do not highlight the limitations on usage. Another thread perhaps. :) Shudder the thought.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Only that as ever seeking something definitive doesn't happen. But here's a good read for your post-pub evening. Page 49 of 150 says it all!!!

http://www.etrto.org/Recommendations/

But the bit on FRT markings on tyres confirms that you can have specific trailer tyres(on the non driven non steering tyres) as made by two manufacturers that I have used...GT Radial and Kendo. Presumably there are others. The worrying thing is that I see on several web sites selling such tyres that they do not highlight the limitations on usage. Another thread perhaps. :) Shudder the thought.
Sorry OC I cannot open the website,
But I did read somewhere that (I think) Avon tyres did not recommend them for caravans. I will sit to be corrected.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry OC I cannot open the website,
But I did read somewhere that (I think) Avon tyres did not recommend them for caravans. I will sit to be corrected.
You have to download the first of the three documents for reading. I’m using IPad.
Avon now don’t recommend their tyres for caravans. Yet for many years I always used Avon tyres.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You have to download the first of the three documents for reading. I’m using IPad.
Ok mate I am using a Samsung Tablet with Android.

I used to have a motor bike that the tyre kept deflating above 90 mph. That was sorted out by replacing the valve core. Obviously not on the British Highways.

Reactions: otherclive

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I can't see any logical benefit of fitting a valve that has a higher pressure rating than the valve that has the correct one for the given tyre.

On the face of it a logical enough conclusion, but what in this case it can miss is that the stem construction adopted can be totally different and very relevant.
"Standard" stems are a polymer "rubber" with a brass threaded valve holder moulded into the "top". Here the captive bit in the rim is 100% polymer as is much of the stem; you can flex the stem. And that does happen, the more so with longer stems and where TyrePal sensors add mass to the end. Plus the polymers used can perish and that is not cosmetic as it is polymer holding the air in. Hopefully they get replaced long before the 6 to 7 years caravan tyres can stay in place.

Turn now to the HP stems used by commercials like Transits; there you will find the body throughout is a brass tube with a flange, and coated in a polymer to achieve a seal and retaining collar on the rim. These being metal don't flex, nor does the polymer that is holding the air in, the only vital bit here in the rim, perish, it can't see UV or flex.

My caravan tyres are inflated to 65 psi and run frequently, touring France, at 77 psi, and I have had two standard valve stem failures, both at walking pace thankfully. These were long shank stems and I was using TyrePal, both failed close to three years after new tyres, and both were seriously perished and cracked in the root.

I would never ever again accept a standard valve stem on any caravan I own, and thankfully have none on our Disco car, all are metal.
I think they cost me about £3 each, the cost of the failure was many times more and came with lots of totally unwanted hassle.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I just asked the question as I had read in a MH magazine that tyres at 60psi or above should fit HP valves. I was looking for any views and experience, not expecting to be asked to list the advantages. that's not how it is supposed to work. Anyway its now history as the new tyres are fitted and wheels torqued up.
OC when I had my tyres last replaced at home on my drive they fitted standard valves, bear in mind pressure is 65 psi.
When i went to fit the tyrepal valves back on it was impossible on the off side as somehow they cross threaded the valve, so rang to complain, spoke to the owner and he asked what type of valve/colour, told him and he went mental, they should be HP valves, so sent his fitter back with his tail between his legs, took tyres off again and fitted HP Valves.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Strange no matter how many searches one does there are still the occasions when by changing the order of search terms a new “ hit” comes along. The link below is a C&CC Technical Data sheet where HP valves are recommended for tyre pressures higher than 60psi.

https://www.campingandcaravanningcl...chnicalhelp/datasheets/tyres-tyre-care/page2/

Somewhat tongue in cheek……
how many leave a cold UK heading for the Mediterranean and reduce the pressures as that blazing sun comes forth each morning as they head south? TIC comment. 🙈

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts