High Visibility Vests

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
It is my understanding that a vest should be provided for every person that leaves the car - and at a pound each (if you plan ahead and buy before travelling) then that's not expensive.

And the French hypermarkets should have a good supply of low cost HV vests if you need more (and can't pre-buy)

Robert

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi-viz vests certainly applies to French registered vehicles but it is unclear whether it applies to visiting vehicles.

There is info on both the AA and RAC sites.

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi all.

Just found this link http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Driving-in-France-New-legal.html on the French Embbassy web site. I can't see anywhere that say's everyone that leaves the vehicle has to have one or that it applies to visiting vehcles, but according to an article in this months ccc mag (I think that's where I read it) It says a high vis vest must be carried in the vehicle along with a warning triangle, French police will carrying out spot checks and issuing on the spot fines if you are not carrying either. This law comes in on the 1st July.

Phil.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Phil,

My understanding is that if your car suffers a breakdown, or if you stop to offer assistance in the event of an accident - then everyone outside the car must wear a HV jacket...

Robert

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
In Spain I think you have to have one each carried in the car so that they can be put on before leaving the vehicle.Accoding to the article it only says the driver but they also say they have not yet been notified if it applies to tourists or just French.

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rob.

I understand and totally agree with what you say and common sence would say that. But the way it has been worded is not very specific. I have bought four vests one each for the kids and one each for the wife and myself.

Phil.

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Now I'm totally confused! I've just copied the below from th AA website:

The introduction of the regulation concerning the compulsory carriage of a reflective jacket will now come in to force on the 1st October 2008 (initially this was due to be introduced on the 1st July 2008). It will be compulsory for all French registered vehicles to have a reflective safety jacket on board which must me kept inside the vehicle and it will also be compulsory to carry a warning triangle. The authorities are yet to confirm whether these requirements will apply to foreign registered vehicles. This advice will be updated as soon as confirmation is received.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My understanding is that in Spain you need one vest per seatbelt, even if not using - say - the centre rear seat. I really don't see a problem with this requirement - anyone who has had to work on a vehicle or change a wheel on a motorway will be very happy to increase their protection for the price of a pint. (Sorry, perhaps not a good example, but you know what I mean)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts