Highland Games

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were in Scotland two years ago for our summer holidays in our caravan.We found the country beautiful and the people very friendly.We would love to go back next year,and see the Highland games .Could you please tell me what time of year the main games are on and where.Do any of you know if there are caravan club rallies based around the games.By the way we will be coming over from Ireland.

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Just come back from 2 weeks in the Highlands, thought i saw a sign saying they were in july sometime that was near Loch Carron.

We stayed at Inverinate there's good CC site there, also i saw another site in Loch Carron.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dan

They take place every week all around Scotland from late may to early September. We enjoy the Aboyne games in August as we live nearby. There is a Caravan Club site in Banchory (less than 15 miles away) and a Caravan & Camping Club site at Tarland (less than 10 miles away). There is also a Council site in Ballater (further up Royal Deeside) and a Caravan Club site in Braemar.

Braemar Gathering is very close to the end of the season of games and is usually attended by the Queen and other members of the Royal family but the site in Baemar gets booked up very quickly.

The heavy events (caber tossing, hammer throwing etc) are sponsored by Glenfiddich Distillery so maybe they would have information they could send you.

Try putting "Highlnd Games" in Google and you might get some useful leads or try "Visit Scotland.com".

Hope this helps

A

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Isle of Skye Highland Games is on the first Wednesday in August every year. This is a great games, i've played there on a few occasions. Its held in Portree at the "lump" which is a 'bowl' shaped outdoor arena which makes for a great atmosphere.

Even better than the Games is the night out after in Portree, in one of its many pubs. I hope you don't think i'm stereo-typing, but being from Ireland, i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Theres plenty more to do in Skye for the rest of your stay, and its easier and cheaper to get there now with the toll free bridge,

Cheers,

Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Lonach Gathering takes place at Strathdon, Aberdeenshire on the last Saturday in August & the Braemar Gathering is the following Saturday. As I work at both of them maybe I am being biased but the Lonach is a more homely games to attend. Billy Connolly also attends this event, often bringing some of his famous friends.

There are spaces available in the field adjoining the games park. These are available to the first 100 vans on a first served basis and are available from the Thursday until the Sunday.

The Braemar Gathering is also very popular and the Caravan Club site in Braemar is usually fully booked for this weekend by the end of January.

The North Scotland branch of the CC had a rally at the Braemar gathering this year and may be at either of these two events next year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts