Hillhead wi-fi coverage

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Anybody have experience of this? We are staying in August and I am in two minds whether to buy 2 weeks use at £2o per week, or get a mobile broadband dongle that I can use all year for £50 plus top-ups. If the wi-fi is patchy I may go for the mobile service. Any comments would be gratefully received.

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
think i know the one you mean,is it on the 3 network? we looked at the same one and reckon it'll pay for its selfe[in our case]in less than a year,i think the coverage is quite comprehensive unless you happen to be in the highlands.

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul,

When we were there last summer, we were pitched on the field at the top of the site, and i found coverage was fine for phone calls. However, my husband remembers he had to go and stand at the top of the hill near the wardens caravans in order to get a signal!!

We're both with T mobile, and at time had the same model and make of phone, but he's always had problems where my phone has been fine, so i think the site coverage (at the top of the hill where we were anyway) was ok, i think he just had a duff phone.

We also had a relative to stay for a couple of days, i think his phone was ok too, but i'm not sure which network he was on.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
This post today is via O2 from Brixham, a short distance from Hillhead.

It's also a FOC connection to.

We also get a fine O2 connection down in Brixham Marina.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I tried using the internet on my Orange smartphone whilst there and it kept dropping connectivity across all methods , i.e G3 , GPRS and HSDPA

Also had difficulty with normal Orange mobile reception and had to move to a higher area.

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hmmmm, I've checked the "3" coverage map and its not clear, but if I err on the side of caution I'd have to say that Brixham is probably OK for the HSPDA connection I'd need for mobile broadband, but Hillhead won't be. I think I'll give the site wi-fi a go on the basis that if its iffy, I can go into any mobile phone shop and get a mobile dongle while I'm there, and even if I can't get broadband speed at Hillhead it'll still allow me to check my emails.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i am writing and sending this message using a 3 dongle , i am at Lucksall caravan site , but when i stayed at Wick by Glastonbury and Narbeth in wales ,and also Pumsaint in Wales ,it was useless yet Vodafone works in these all these area,s

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
This week I've had a friend flumoxed as she's taken on a "3" contract mobile and finds that she has no signal where she lives, her friends nearby use Vodafone and get a signal and between them they thought that 3G signal indicator on the vodafone was the same as the "3" phone network.

In case anyone else is confused the "3" mobile phone network is not the same as higher speed 3G signals provided by the various networks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts