Hitch Gator opening when unhitching

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I’ve noticed at the point of unhitching the gator can be compacted, then when I raise the hitch to disconnect, the gator begins opening up and the front of the hitch metal gets closer and closer to the rear bumper where it could press and crack/break it.

Is there anyway to stop this happening?

I thought by driving forward it might open up the gater but this didn’t work for some reason, anyone else have this issue?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like you are unhitching on a slope. You could apply the caravan handbrake. Pull the car forward a couple of inches . No more or you will have problems getting unhitched as the whole assembly will be under tension.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The hitch needs that degree of movement to control the caravans brakes, so the action you have seen is quite normal, and it's something you need to allow for.

I'm absolutely certain some caravanner's have been caught out by it, and learned the hard way. Some fixed tow ball assemblies can have a guard plate fitted between the ball and the tow bar.

But it's one of those things that you'll learn to deal with as Dusty has suggested.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When unhitching the van, depending on where it's pitched, if on a ramp up/downhill etc. Once the van is ready to be unhooked I put the car in "neutral" auto. And let the car settle. If after a couple of turns on the jockey wheel if it hasn't lifted off. Then just shunt the car a bit. Normally it will pop off. All handles pulled up of course.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I've had it happen several times, too. At least on my car, even if the hitch extends an inch or two after unhitching and touches the bumper, the bumper will deflect a small amount but it doesn't cause any damage, neither a permanent dent nor does it scratch the paint.
Just to put your mind at ease.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Interesting, had this with our Ateca, the hitch drops down from inside the bumper and locks very close to it.
I usually get OH to drive the car away quickly before the hitch extends if it is compressed.
Can be a bit iffy though

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
If I have reversed the van onto the pitch, I pull forward a foot or so,I have found the hitch always lifts off easily, if I don't do this, the van hirch is under compression and is a 3ugger to unhitch.
Kev

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts