Hitch Lock alarm - seems like a FAB product.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

In my job as product buyer for my family-run motorcycle dealership, I came across a product that I think might not only appeal to motorcyclists but also caravan owners. I haven't tried one on my own 'van yet but fully intend to do so when we next get out.

The only thing I think might be a downpoint is that it MAY activate at night when someone gets up to the loo etc, the slight movement might set it off. I wouldn't have thought enough movement would travel through to the hitch to set it off though, but that remains to be tested. The price tag doesn't seem too out of reach either. 100dB if alarm should deter most thieves I suspect.

Here's the link - http://www.feridax.com/product/0410442/6/xena/xena_xtl_bullettlock_alarm_trailer_hitch_lock_18mm_ubar.html

The website also confirms what dealerships you can get one from.

Regards

Elaine

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
It looks like it it more intended for the trailer market not caravans.Is it Sold secure?

Hitch locks dont deter thieves as they chain up the van or have a custom built boxes,the alarm might but i bet a good squirt of plumbers freezer spray into the lock would disable that.

Why would you have it on at night when you are in the van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like a good idea, although is it very difficult to fit?

If it is easy to put on, why would you have it on at night if there is a risk it might go off and wake the whole site up?

Surely it would be better fitted when on motorway service areas, storage etc or if you are leaving the van unattended?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys,

Obviously I didn't have my brain switched on when I mentioned the 'going off in the middle of the night' thing! Unless someone fancied nicking me and my family aswell as my caravan!

To answer your questions - I have checked on the Xena website to be sure I'm telling you the right thing. Yes, they are Sold Secure and Thatcham approved in the UK aswell as various 'other' approved in Europe. Easy enough to fit judging by the looks of it. Also reversible to double as a 'U' lock. The alarm module is an internal component, housed inside a removable 'Bullett' unit, and this is certainly not a flimsy thing. It weighs 2.72kg and is made of highest quality 304 stainless steel.

Ice-spray proof, anti-drill tested aswell. Anti twist shackle, designed to resist being 'twisted' off if one side is cut free.

If you want to view more, go to the Xena website - www.xenasecurity.com, and select the Bullett range, as they do specifically mention caravans for this range, Mikey.

I ordered one from my rep today, it should be with me tomorrow, I'll try it the next time I go out in the 'van in a few weeks and I'll let you know how it performed.

Obviously, the savvy caravan owner doesn't just rely on one single security item to prevent theft and this product is definitely one to consider, like you said, Lorraine, for when unattended or at service stations etc, I just wanted people to know that this thing exists and for people to make their own choices and opinions...

Regards

Elaine

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The ice spray proof side of the lock is against making the metal brittle ,it has no protection against being sprayed down the lock entry to disable the alarm.Once alarm disabled its no different to any ordinary hitch lock (cheaper)on the market im afraid.

Im a bit concerned on the "I'll try it the next time I go out in the 'van in a few weeks and I'll let you know how it performed."

Does this mean its you are going to get someone to steal your van if its still there its a success?

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,I have a Bulldog BL50 alarm which i fitted last year,I've recently tried to get another to fit to a friends van and now their no longer made. A great shame as they work very well. They trigger with vibration, and also on tilt. I have it on the side of the A frame but I'm going to mount it in the front locker. That will catch the SO & SOs out! The only weakness(there's always one) is its powered by a Std 9v battery inside its heavy tamper resisting steel case. It is very loud when it goes off, however were it visible it could be quietened with a heavy dose of spray polyfoam, as any other siren based alarm can be,so in the locker its going. The + point that made me get it was the CC were pretty strong on the alarm going off on tilt and this sure does. What happens is turn key to set,10 secs it chirps, means its set. A 2ins lift on the hitch and it triggers,What a shame their not available anymore could be a weakness in design somehow. I've yet to find it.I feel yet again a good British product has gone to the wall Regards to All, Cliff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts