Hitchdrive - Any good?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin, when we looked at caravan movers, we looked at all types, and tried as many as we could.

The Hitchdrive gave movement on flat , smooth surfaces, but lost all traction on a very gentle slope, and would not do anything on grass.

Also, with the Purpleline Hitchdrive, I found it impossible to turn the operating mechanism and steer the van at the same time

Th eself contained motor movers fare no better on anything other than flat, hard, smooth surfaces.

The only real proper caravan movers are the fixed ones such as Powrtouch reich etc, with powrtouch being the best by far, although all the fixed type are expensive, and add weight to the van, for towing purposes.

Is the manual hitchdrive worth

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Martin

Further to what Damian posts:

Only you can decide if the fitting of any kind of mover is worth it! You need to balance the benefits/drawbacks of each system against you own perceived or real needs. However can I raise some of the issues that you might consider before taking a decision?

Generic types - There are basically two types of movers currently available.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Have looked at afew of these a frame monted gizmo's. As soon as the van gets a little stuck the things wheels will either lose traction or generate lift and then lose traction from what I've seen!

Wheel mounted drive is the only allround option!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From a friend's experience the draw bar type prove more expensive as when they won't do the job you require you then have to buy the "Carver" type as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No expert on this matter Martin but i to was looking to buy hitchdrive. Not seen one in action but towsures website have a demonstration video you can view. Also i believe it has been updated/improved this year with better tyres/wheels and gear ratios et.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Martin,

I had a brand new hitch drive thrown in with my purchase of a second hand caravan, It was fine on level hardstanding and even a slight slope (situations in which most able people could manoeuvre it by hand!), but next to useless on grass (when we need it most!). Also a lot of aggro applying it and connecting to battery.

Now have a fixed Motormovr driving the main wheels, and it's much better, but even so I put boarding down across the lawn I have to cross. As you can imagine, that's also aggravation I can do without, so the lawn's to be paved over! Who said caravanning was simple??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin,

I had a brand new hitch drive thrown in with my purchase of a second hand caravan, It was fine on level hardstanding and even a slight slope (situations in which most able people could manoeuvre it by hand!), but next to useless on grass (when we need it most!). Also a lot of aggro applying it and connecting to battery.

Now have a fixed Motormovr driving the main wheels, and it's much better, but even so I put boarding down across the lawn I have to cross. As you can imagine, that's also aggravation I can do without, so the lawn's to be paved over! Who said caravanning was simple??
Hitchdrive, connecting to battery? don't think you'r talking about the same type as topic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts