Hobby 440 SF or Knaus Sport 420 QD ?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Unless the Hobby has an MTPLM upgrade it has an abysmally low useful payload of only around 110kg. This is because it has a higher MIRO (1090kg vs. 950kg) and a lower standard MTPLM (1200kg vs. 1300kg). On the other hand, the Hobby has a larger kitchen worksurface and it's rated as a 4 berth. The Knaus is very narrow at the foot end of the rear berths which virtually restricts it to a true 3 berth. It depends a bit on where you set your priorities.

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to the moderater for putting me on the straight and narrow about IE 9 hopefully my post will now magically appear, after having typed it it several times previously only for it to disappear ! Also thanks to Lutz for answering some of my questions before they actually appeared.
We are happy owners of a Hobby 400 SB which was purchased in Germany (tax paid, log book etc) a few years ago. The time is now approaching when we are considering changing our trusty 'van.
We are thinking of one of the following: a Hobby 440 SF or a Knaus Sport 420 QD. We do not want a shower or oven and so another continental tourer would suit our needs. Any input/opinions (especially from Lutz ) would be much appreciated.
Our British options would be either a Sprite Alpine 4 or a Bailey Orion 430-4. However with current exchange rates our German choices would work out approximately £3000 cheaper, and with the Euro in a state of flux the differntial might even be greater in a few weeks or months time. We are aware of differences with water ingress/general guarantees and the spares situation. Fortunately none of these have been an issue for us over the last six years with our current 'van.
Each year our main continental holiday (thanks to DFDS deals) is via Germany so that we can combine it with a caravan service at a Hobby dealer. The latter is very friendly, efficient, extremely helpful and considerably cheaper than a local caravan dealer a few miles from our home.
Please note we are in no way rubbishing British caravans and saying that German caravans are superior etc. In the end it boils down to the financial side of things and what we can afford to pay for a new caravan.
Thanks in advance for any opinions, ideas and comments either positive or negative,
R&A.

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Have decided to go for the Knaus Sport 420 QD with Sport Packet and a few extras. The dealer in Germany has been very good and has offered me more than half of what I paid for my Hobby almost seven years ago together with a decent discount on the new 'van. Pick up should be in April (good old DFDS), will let you know how I get on. (Will then have to change my name !)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts