hobby caravans

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
jason, yes I know of three people who were stopped by the Police and had their vans impounded until they provided legal tow vehicles, they were also charged with having an illegal outfit match, no insurance, as the insurance was made invalid by towing an illegal van for size of tow vehicle, causing an unecessary danger to other road users and driving other than within the terms of their licence.

The result was, in each case, a heavy fine, points for each offence, which when totted up gave them a 12 month ban.

Its NOT worth the cost to flout the law, and if you do tow illegally, dont forget you automatically have no insurance.

Anyone who knowingly tows illegally deserves everyhting they get when caught, and are totally irresponsible.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
When looking at TEC caravans a few years back I took an interest in one of thier twin axles and said to the salesman that it was a shame it was too wide. His answer " It's only illegal if you get caught "...........salesmen !!!! ;O)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When looking at TEC caravans a few years back I took an interest in one of thier twin axles and said to the salesman that it was a shame it was too wide. His answer " It's only illegal if you get caught "...........salesmen !!!! ;O)
Yep, you can't trust 'em.

Not at work today Brian? Or are you skiving like me?

Lisa

May 4, 2005
Visit site
At home Lisa , got one of those "man colds" you know the sort that take you close to death.

Brian (",)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear, hope you're soon feeling better. Make sure you have a phone close by incase you need to ring for an ambulance.

Lisa xx

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Lisa , as the men on the Forum will know a man cold is way beyond the abilities of the NHS. But given time and enough meditation our inner strength can fight it.

Brian (",)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
That the maximum width of the caravan is related to the weight of the towcar (2.3m if under 3500kg MAW, 2.5m over that limit) is an absolutely absurd law that cannot be explained by any logical argument. Some time ago I therfore approached the Department of Transport and asked for an statement but the reply was rather vacuous.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/167130.stm

Lisa

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Very interesting link there Lisa but I'm surprised that you think this has anything to do with the debilitating illness that I am suffering at the moment. ;O)

Brian.

ps ,hope Bina gets home soon as I can't reach the remote.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian

You shouldn't be allowed to watch tv. If you're ill, you should be banished to your room, and keep yourself warm in your bed with a

hot water bottle.

Lisa

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Yes, its a bizarre law which allows you to tow a 'van with a 3.5 tonne commercial which actually has a lower kerbweight than most 4x4s. I've been told for a while this law is about to change, thanks to the European union. As a matter of interest you can get around it at present by either having a vehicle registered to a PObox in Eire, or using a imported vehicle with no plated weights. Not that I'd advocate such tactics you understand.

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
The maximum width of vehicles used in the United Kingdom is laid down in law in regulation 8 of the Road Vehicle (Construction and Use) regulations 1986. This regulation gives the maximum width of a trailer towed by a vehicle of less than 3,500kg gross weight as 2.3m (7'7").

This regulation is applicable to all vehicles used within the UK including foreign registered vehicles.

You can tow a trailer of up to 2.55m with a motor vehicle which is over 3,500kg gross weight but you have to hold the appropriate driving licence either category C1+E , C1+E restricted or C+E dependent upon the weight of the towing vehicle , the trailer or the combined weight.

Craig, I can assure you that registering a vehicle abroad will not work oversized foreign registered vehicles are prohibited and sent out of the country on a daily basis.

Incidentally earlier this year I visited a Hobby dealer in North Wales who showed me a van in excess of 2.3m wide I commented that I would not be able to tow it, he replied that they towed it with a 4X4 type pick up, I explained that it was too wide to be towed by one, he then replied you can tow it with a Transit. Wrong again. I politeley pointed out that he was wrong and as an enforcement officer with 30 years experience I knew what I was talking about. I think my advice fell on deaf ears and they will probably continue to mis advise customers.

What hope is there for a naive customer who at the word of a salesman buys a totally unusable van. Finally I must say I was quite impressed with the vans.

Regards

Steve

G

Stephen.

Some years ago I was invited into an American Newell Motorhome Coach, British owned but running on American plate. It was explained that Newells are over width for UK roads but able to enter on the guise of "visiting". There are now a number of these Newell vehicles in use in the UK and they have a UK sales agent I believe.

We saw one early last year being serviced at a Motorhome dealers in the UK. I was told that an engineers report enables registration in the US to continue or that they can be registered elsewhere in Europe.

Favourites with Music, Film and Sports celebs in the USA for their luxurious custom interiors I understand that there are other like vehicles as well that are over width running in the UK.

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Euro,

Your right there ate many American vehicles including Motorhomes, Limos and Pickups which are overlength, overwidth, and over here.

for example many of the pickups are incorrectly tested, many of the motorhomes have excess overhang and many of the larges limos do not comply with our construction and use and lighting regulations.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on where you stand, the enforcement authorites have not fully cottoned on to them all yet.

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Euro,

Your right there ate many American vehicles including Motorhomes, Limos and Pickups which are overlength, overwidth, and over here.

for example many of the pickups are incorrectly tested, many of the motorhomes have excess overhang and many of the larges limos do not comply with our construction and use and lighting regulations.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on where you stand, the enforcement authorites have not fully cottoned on to them all yet.
thanks for all your help i got my hobby 560 last week its the best caravan i have had. and the 8ft wide makes it even better allso tows like a dream

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts