Honda CRV, 2009 176k miles

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Well the time has come to compost my old Land Rover Discovery as its needing too much welding to be worth my time and effort to fix. so i now have to find a new tow car fairly quickly as we are booked up to go to Haggerston Castle in a couple of weeks.

I've only got about £3000 to spend at the moment and have narrowed my search down to either a Nissan X-trail 2007 on model or a Honda CR V again the 2006/7 on model.

id have to get a bit knocked off the X-trail and think the Honda would be better for my wife to drive but what do you think of these?

2006 CRV 138k

2009 CRV 176k

2008 X-trail 113K

I like the idea of a bit newer car with the 2009 Honda and everything i read says not to be put off by high miles if its been serviced regularly, i have seen "age kills cars not miles" quoted quite a few times but its hard to believe 176k miles can be ok on a car.

My discovery had 167k on it and is mechanically fine tho but i have had it since 90k and know its been taken care of so who knows.

Anyway if you have any experience ether with high mileage cars in general or with this model CR V or X-Trail pleas let me know what you think.

Cheers
Ian

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I should add my vans an Elddis Tornado at only 1000KG all in and i only do about 8000 miles a year as my work is only a seven minute drive away with only one set of traffic lights so no stop start on a cold engine.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ian,

Buying any make of car (or even more so caravans for that matter) based averaged reliability scores is never going to introduce certainty that the one you choose will be as good as the average for the marque. Its always going to be something of a lottery.

But there is hope that a good average result may present you with a better than the alternative's chance with your choice.

My own take on cars is that as both age and mileage increase, the likelihood of unreliability increases. And of course despite the protestations of the dealer claiming its been a one careful lady owner, is of no benefit if the owner was Sabine Schmitz, queen of the Nurburgring challenge, whom I'm sure would have ensured the vehicle was properly serviced, between thrashing it!

With the types of vehicle you are looking at, there are high chances they have been used for towing, which I'd guess is like adding an extra 50% of wear and tear per mile over solo driving.

Where as in the 70/80's average mileage was considered to be 10K per annum, these days it's down to about 7K, which puts all your suggestions at well above the present average.

If I were looking for say a 12 month stopgap vehicle I might consider one of them , but if it were for a longer prospect i would definitely be looking lower milages and if possible younger vehicles.

I would also consider other non 4x4 vehicles, as in reality the vast majority of caravanners do not need a 4x4 other than for its towed weight capacity. Perhaps look at some other types of vehicle?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Diifficult choice but given comprehensive service history and MoT mileage confirmation I'd go for Honda which regularly top or come high in the reliability surveys. Towing only 1000 kg there will also be lots of other vehicles out there. Estates hatches etc.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi Ian, I’m new to caravan owning but will comment on this topic. I’d have no issues with buying a high mileage car if it’s been cared for. I’ve got a 2001 VW Caravelle that’s pushing 170k miles, still goes really well: owned by me for 8yrs and not failed an MOT in that time (yet)- love it and wholly expect to get it to 250k one day. I keep on top of the basics and get it serviced annually. Previous owner regularly towed a fairly big boat.
Higher mileage vehicles at the still young age you’re considering are very likely to have spent lots of time on motorways & not having to work too hard.
All the best with whatever you choose
Wayne

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have long experience with XTrails and have to say they made excellent tow cars. Not a comparison as I had mine from new but when looking at the time, the CRV was also on the list as I think Hondas at the time were excellent cars. What made me choose the XTrail (had two) was the ability to choose the 4x4 mode, 2wd, Auto, Lock, whereas the Honda was less versatile and didnt give that choice.
The only problems I had with either Xtrail was a major one, but was a known problem at that time with the Turbo failing and it happened to me after three weeks. The only other issues I had in all that time was the lacquer peeling off the alloys very quickly.
I would guess an Xtrail of that age will have had the Turbo issue sorted under recall. My advice wouldbe def the Xtrail all other things being equal. I am assuming of course this will be the 2.2 manual. The auto Xtrail was somewhat limited on towing capacity although your chosen caravan is very light.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts