Honda CRV Towing help

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi
We currently tow a swift challenger 540 van with a 2009 Honda CRV and have had no problems towing though have to change our car next year and we were looking at the Honda CRV 2.2 I-CTDI 2006 which has a lower maximum towing weight. After searching the net we are getting rather confused as to whether this car would be safe to tow our caravan. Does anyone tow with this car or does anyone have any advice? We were also maybe looking at an Audi Quattro 1.9 Diesel estate, any help would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks Paula

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paula,
This was the answer I gave to someone in the "Towcar" section.
Hope this may be of help to you.
Hi Andy.
Not sure which model(how new) you were thinking of,but I can give you my thoughts on ours.
Its an 06 reg 2.2 diesel and a manual transmission.
MPG around town (thats filling the tank to the brim,doing about 300 miles then re-filling) works out at 38-42.
Towing drops to about 28-30ish
Maximum towing weight of mine is 1500kg with a 100kg noseweight limit.
It tows our Bailey Sancerre (MTPLM 1435kg)like a dream.
Its very stable,comfortable,roomy but maybe could do with a little more BHP.
Its a permanent front wheel drive but the rear wheels also "kick in"if they sense the front wheels are losing grip in slippery conditions.
Im not saying it is slow(tows on motorways on the flat quite happily in 6th) but would like a little more "oomph" when accelerating.
Ours is the executive model with the sat nav,heated seats etc.. and had the rear windows professionaly tinted recently.
Although I love the CRV,we are thinking of changing maybe next year to perhaps a Nissan Pathfinder purely because the grandchildren will now be wanting to come away with us and so we will be looking for 7 seats and a greater car loading allowance for all the extra bits and bobs we would need.
Hope this helps you Andy,if you have any more questions,will be ahppy to help.
Adrian

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paula, I tow a Coachman 1585kg van with a Honda CRV 2.2 diesel (new shape) and have found it to be very good with never a hint of being under powered, suits us fine.
Don't know what the weight of the Swift is but if it is equal or less I don't think you will have a problem.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Thanks for replies we actually tow our swift with the new shape which as you say tows fine always been really good but we have to return ours unfortunately and were looking at the old shape which has a maximum tow of 1500kg and caravan is 1500kg which is where our problem is although it has come out at 92% so its still a maybe.
Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts