honda crv...v...x trail

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
anyone out there tow with either of the above,am undecided on which to go for,any advice would be appreciated thanks....p.s please no comment the stupid brigade

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan, I've got a 2002 CRV. It has been very reliable and nothing has gone wrong in 40,00 miles. Tyres lasted over 38,000 miles.

It is a competent tow car rather than brilliant but it tows a 1350kg van with no problems. Some people complain of the high revs for max power but I havn't found it troublesome.

The 60kg noseweight limit has been a bit of a drag, requiiring some careful loading.

There has been no problem from spare wheel when hitching / unhitching with rear door closed with a Winterhoff stabaliser fitted.

If you have any other specific queries just ask. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it was me I would avoid the petrol versions and go for the diesels, either one should be pretty good, i think in 'what car' the nissan came out tops.

There hows that for a good reply ...........Me thinks I should rename myself Captain Sensible!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it was me I would avoid the petrol versions and go for the diesels, either one should be pretty good, i think in 'what car' the nissan came out tops.

There hows that for a good reply ...........Me thinks I should rename myself Captain Sensible!
thanks,theres nothing like stating the obvious......try internet chess

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan, I've got a 2002 CRV. It has been very reliable and nothing has gone wrong in 40,00 miles. Tyres lasted over 38,000 miles.

It is a competent tow car rather than brilliant but it tows a 1350kg van with no problems. Some people complain of the high revs for max power but I havn't found it troublesome.

The 60kg noseweight limit has been a bit of a drag, requiiring some careful loading.

There has been no problem from spare wheel when hitching / unhitching with rear door closed with a Winterhoff stabaliser fitted.

If you have any other specific queries just ask. Ray
thanks ray,is i was thinking about the diesal 2.2....is that your tug by chance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks ray,is i was thinking about the diesal 2.2....is that your tug by chance
Alan, no I havn't got the diesel because it only became available this year. I have colleagues who have one they all say its very good but non tow caravans.

I will seriously consider it next year when I change, but I'll have to do my sums because of the extra

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the X you can engage "Auto" and the transmission detects wheel slip and automatically engages 4 wheel drive.We live at the top of a very narrow steep twisting hill with passing places of sorts.If I have to pull over and stop on the steepest part(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On my second X Trail which has more power than the original 2.2 diesel and is a superb tow vehicle.

I chose the X trail due to no diesel being available at the time on the Honda CRV, but the clincher was the rear door hinging from the top rather than the side giving easier access.

Jun 10, 2005
Visit site
I have owned a CRV diesel since March, it tows absolutely fantastic. Nose weight is now 100kg and can tow upto 1500kg. I think it is a much quieter engine than the X-Trail, slightly more torque as well. Best advise would be to take them both out for a test drive if possible. My belief is that a lot of people went for the X-Trail because previously Honda did not do a diesel.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
I have owned a CRV diesel since March, it tows absolutely fantastic. Nose weight is now 100kg and can tow upto 1500kg. I think it is a much quieter engine than the X-Trail, slightly more torque as well. Best advise would be to take them both out for a test drive if possible. My belief is that a lot of people went for the X-Trail because previously Honda did not do a diesel.
or maybe they went for the X-trail cos it has the ability to do 2wd/auto or 4wd lock whereas the CRV's is always "Auto"

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts