Honda towcars

Apr 8, 2020
Visit site
I have the choice of a honda 2.0 petrol 4x4 i vtec 155 bhp and a 2.2 i dtec 4x4 diesel 158 bhp
I had in mind that diesels were the more powerful and engines lasted longer.
Thank you

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you ever need to go inside one of the increasing number of Low Emission Zones you may find that the diesel will be unwelcome - if/when it goes wrong a diesel will be more expensive to fix - otherwise diesel every time for towing as torque will be much higher.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The diesel will have more torque which would make it better for towing although with Honda you should not have trouble with either. My daughter took her petrol engined one well passed 100k with no real problems.
If it is pre2016 though you might find it a problem in some cities as Roger says, so check what standard it is built to.. It possibly depends on what you will tow, how you will use it and how you see the future for diesels what to choose. No right answer to that one.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Roaminton, it is not the BHP that works best for towing it is the Torque.
I alway equate it to Two big Dray horses, againts two race horses, when pulling a wagon load of beer. The Dray horses will pull more easily, the race horses will work harder.
Have a look at the torque the two cars produce.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
But the race horses are more beautiful in every way-I'd always rather rev a petrol than chug a diesel! But i don't mind rowing the gears-that's just me!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
But the race horses are more beautiful in every way-I'd always rather rev a petrol than chug a diesel! But i don't mind rowing the gears-that's just me!
You need a Subaru, pulling sweetly at very high rpm - nice for a single short journey but tiresome for long journeys cross-country.

Reactions: JezzerB
Apr 8, 2020
Visit site
Thank again for all your imput still cant make my mind up leaning towards the Honda cr-v i dtec 1.6 se 120hp what i am trying to work out is torque of 120 hp or the bhp!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It won;'t be torque even most petrol engines have more torque than that! It has 120ps power or 118bhp and 300nm or 220lbft torque!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we were at Somers wood caravan park met two ladies who had a 2017 Honda CR-V 1.6i DTEC 4WD Automatic and they said it was there second one they have had and it a fantastic car

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You need a Subaru, pulling sweetly at very high rpm - nice for a single short journey but tiresome for long journeys cross-country.
There’s Subarus and Subarus. I had the SJ Forester 2 litre 150 bhp non turbo with CVT gearbox. When I bought it we had not planned to tow with it. So as a solo car it was fine. But when we bought another caravan it wasn’t a relaxing drive as the revs would rise very quickly in response to the slightest throttle input, and drop down again as speed rose. Yet some years ago I had a 136 bhp 2.0 litre Mondeo petrol with a conventional five speed auto box. That towed well and whilst it was left mainly in auto its tendency to Rev up was no different to a driver using a manual gearbox to adjust to road conditions. My present SJ Forester with the 2 litre turbo 238 bhp CVT is as different from the non turbo as chalk and cheese. It tows in its Sport mode and tends to sit mainly between 1500-2000 rpm and with the turbo torque it just takes up the response to throttle commands quite smoothly and without having to use high revs. It’s fine cross country or up country. Mind you if you want “ lively” behaviour use Sport + which gives 8 pseudo gears and very quick response. So mainly it’s used in Eco, when solo, Sport for towing and Sport + just out of curiosity On the occasional clear road.

PS as an adjunct when I changed the Mondeo 2 litre petrol auto I had a 1.8 litre TDI 89 bhp manual Mondeo. It towed better than the petrol auto on account of its low down torque. When I decided to change the Subaru 150 bhp cvt petrol I test drove a 150 bhp Subaru diesel. It was a nice drive and certainly pulled well at lower revs than it’s equivalent petrol. With its higher torque I had no doubt it would have been the better tow car. But in the end the XT turbo petrol with the same torque as the diesel won me over.

Given the OPs situation I would recommend the diesel as the better option.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020
Visit site
Thank you all again! My caravan is a Swift charisma 230 , MTPL 1251 , MIRO 1074. The car i am most keen on is the Honda CR-V SE I.DTEC (4X2 ?) tho only 120 HP . Towcar match suggest it is a good match but something niggles me i feel i might need more power.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Look at Towcar. info. And see the match. What’s the reason my 1.8 litre 89 1.8 litre turbo diesel towed better than a 2 litre 136 bhp petrol with a caravan heavier than yours. For towing power for power a turbo diesel is going to be a more suitable tow car. You need to get off of the obsession with power. I think you’ve had sufficient sound advice from experienced caravanners who have had experience of both. If you look back through the threads search Jezzer B and Dacia Duster. He towed many miles with something heavier than your caravan with a petrol Duster. He’s now got a Navarro.
Both engines will do it. What do you want?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you i think this has as you say got to my head !
I hope we "might" have helped, it also depend on how much you will go away in your caravan, if it is a lot go for the diesel, if not then the petrol might suit you more.
A 150 BHP petrol "might have the same torque as say a 125 BHP diesel .
Then the diesel will have better fuel consumption than the petrol. .
All very confusing for some people.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I hope we "might" have helped, it also depend on how much you will go away in your caravan, if it is a lot go for the diesel, if not then the petrol might suit you more.
A 150 BHP petrol "might have the same torque as say a 125 BHP diesel .
Then the diesel will have better fuel consumption than the petrol. .
All very confusing for some people.
My non turbo Forester 150 bhp had far less torque than the 150 bhp turbo diesel. The XT 238 bhp turbo petrol has torque comparable to the 150 bhp turbo diesel. The OP has to compare the actual figures but from driving a Honda CRV petrol I’d doubt very much if it’s torque is near the DECT diesels figure.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all again! My caravan is a Swift charisma 230 , MTPL 1251 , MIRO 1074. The car i am most keen on is the Honda CR-V SE I.DTEC (4X2 ?) tho only 120 HP . Towcar match suggest it is a good match but something niggles me i feel i might need more power.
Why don"t you test drive them both (diesel and petrol) and take it from there it your choice at the end of the day ,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you all for advice. I have settled on a Honda cr-v 1.6 sr i - dtec with the added bonus has come with fitted towbar. Regards again.
Good choice and hope you enjoy it. If buying from a dealer you have the protection of CRA 2015 for peace of mind? Hope you en joy your new ride. When will it be ready for collection?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts