Honda v Kia v Ford ..Help!

We are in a dilemma, after posting a previous message asking for advice on a suitable used family car, we got a number of recommendations. So thank you to everyone who answered. Now we are trying to decide between the following. The Honda CRV, the Kia Sorento, and the Ford Mondeo Estate. We are looking at spending up to £8,000. Our current caravan is an Abbey Stafford, so it is light, but we are looking to upgrade it in the next year as we have 2 growing kids. Has anyone any advice which one we should be going for. We will be using the car for alot of motorway driving, as I have family in London and I live in Leeds. We are also off to the South of France with the caravan in the summer, so we are looking for something that has good pulling power, will suit a family of 4 and a comfortable ride. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Catherine

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
hi i would go for the kia every time .Had ours over 2yrs now drags our superstorm without any problem very solid even in high winds i get good mileage from motorways even when towing but up hill and down dale can reduce economy but you have to accept this as it is a 4x4 ours is an auto seats 5 adults quite comfortably the only down size being the road tax but if im not mistaken you would pay the same for the large mondeo

hope this helps best of luck

hi i would go for the kia every time .Had ours over 2yrs now drags our superstorm without any problem very solid even in high winds i get good mileage from motorways even when towing but up hill and down dale can reduce economy but you have to accept this as it is a 4x4 ours is an auto seats 5 adults quite comfortably the only down size being the road tax but if im not mistaken you would pay the same for the large mondeo

hope this helps best of luck
Thanks for your reply. As a matter of interest what mpg do you get with your Kia without the caravan. The model I have seen, does 31 mpg, whereas the Honda CRV does 42. I am between the 2 models, whereas my husband thinks we would be better with the Ford mondeo as that does on average 45!!!!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Two children, lots of motorway miles, it would be the mondeo estate.

Go for the most up to date version that you can buy, the nose weight limit is higher on the latest model.

The CRV is too small, the sorento too thirsty.

tj1

Aug 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi catherine i replied to your other posting , i have a mondeo 04 ghia x estate which is a great tow car but also a exc family car solo i get 35-45 mpg urban you said you will be doing a lot of motorway driving then you would get about 50 - 55 depending,i cant comment on the other two other than when i change my mondeo we will be getting a sorrento because we are looking at getting a twin wheeler , you also say you are thinking of changing the caravan so it depends on that aswell as to what van youre after , the mondy should be good for a van up to roughly 1,500 kg anything heavier than that then it rules itself out , we went to france last summer the mondy done brill our van is 1,350 mptlm (5 in car 2 tot 3 adults ) hope this helps tj

Hi TJ, Thanks for your reply again. As you can tell, I am a novice to matching towcars, although after this exercise, I should be an expert. I never thought looking to get a new car, was going to be such hard work!!!! This forum has been brilliant, as I prior to this, I was going around in circles.As far as our next caravan is concerned, I have been advised by other replies that we may have to look at a caravan up to 1600 to accomodate our growing family, who are currently aged 1 and 4. This may rule out the Mondeo, but thank you for your input. I think I have ruled out the Honda CRV as I have been advised the tow weight max is only 1500, so at present it looks like either the Kia Sorento, or one of the top spec Ford Mondeos, unless I'm advised differently!!!!!!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
If you plan to lots of miles without the van on the back get the Mondeo as you will find the Sorento is a bit bouncy and wallowy.

Mondeo well built and soft plastics whereas the Sorento is all hard plastic.

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Catherine

I have found the Mondeo Estate an excellent towcar and also a lively and economical car to drive solo. I tow a Swift Challenger 480 (1400 MPTLM) with a 2005 Mondeo with the 2.2 litre (155 BHP) diesel engine. It has towed around France in style. You will find that this version with the larger engine gives more power and torque and also has a slightly higher kerb weight. There should be plenty around for your price limit.

Best of luck

Paul

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
Catherine, I cannot comment on Honda as Ive never had one.I have had the top of the range Ford Mondeo Diesel it was a good tow car comfortable and good m.p.g.However,it could only tow a medium weight van.I changed it for a Kia Sorento Auto which allows me to tow any caravan it is a comfortable vehicle and of course has 4 wheel drive which is handy it is more expensive to run as it gets lower m.p.g.and road tax is

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Catherine ,

I'm assuming that you probably will keep the car a few years and therefore your kids are going to be older / bigger and needing more space during your ownership.

If you are driving as much as you indicate then your comfort should be on the check list when considering a car.

A lot of people over look the amount of time they will spend in a car and end up making do.

That said , have you considered cars like the Volvo V70 they always get good comments and I think would be big enough. Having owned a V70 a few years ago its was one of the most comfortable I've driven and effortless when driving.

Alternatve 4x4s to consider are the Sante Fe plenty around , fairly cheap and fairly economical (in 4x4 terms) and slightly larger than the CRV.

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi Catherine I have towed with variouse cars and 4x4 over the last 25 yrs,and there is only one I will tow with from now on and thet is a Kia Sorrento manual as it is in the

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi Catherine,

Interesting dilemma; to add to the mix; I tow with a I-CTDI CR-V but understand that for heavier vans >1500 kilo it's not suitable (or legal). BUT 1500 kilo is still a lot of Van. Some of the pluses with the Honda are:

o If you own one for 10 years you'll probably only have to service it and fit new tyres.

o It's in the

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Believe it or not the Cr-v is the same size as the Sorento (6cms shorter),also the XE model has selectable 2 -4wd.

I wouldnt compare the Sorento with the LR at all completley different league

The Sante Fe is a bigger vechicle than the 2 but extremley good value and can seat 7 and both models auto and manual fall into the

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi catherine i replied to your other posting , i have a mondeo 04 ghia x estate which is a great tow car but also a exc family car solo i get 35-45 mpg urban you said you will be doing a lot of motorway driving then you would get about 50 - 55 depending,i cant comment on the other two other than when i change my mondeo we will be getting a sorrento because we are looking at getting a twin wheeler , you also say you are thinking of changing the caravan so it depends on that aswell as to what van youre after , the mondy should be good for a van up to roughly 1,500 kg anything heavier than that then it rules itself out , we went to france last summer the mondy done brill our van is 1,350 mptlm (5 in car 2 tot 3 adults ) hope this helps tj
Hello tj,

Just becaue you are thinking of a TA does not mean you have to have a 4x4! The size of tow car needed is dependant on the weight of the trailer not the number of axles, and of course to personal choice.

I have towed TA's quite happily with a SAAB 9000, and I have friends who use a Volvo V70.

The Mondeo has earned its self a good reputation as a tow car and it will handle a TA just as easily as it will a SA provided they within its weight limits.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Going back to the original post, space is required for a family, extra commutes from leeds to london.

That will be the mondeo, from the 3 selected.

To expect a suv(like i own)to perform the same as a road car, is not realistic.

Its easy to confuse the sorento, with the santa fe, but we are looking for the best balance, not the best tow car.

And don't assume the CRV is problem free, they are not, a look at "honest john" will show you that.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a 04 Sorento auto which has been absolutely great in terms of reliabilty, workload and towing capability, but when I go down to a single car the Sorento's fuel consumption is against it. So the choice will be V70, BMW S5 touring or A6 Avant. They all have good kerbweight and give decent mpg.

Thank you for all the replies so far, I am really grateful for all the advice. I now realise that choosing a suitable tow car is not that straightforward! I am waiting for the budget tomorrow, incase there is any big surprises re car tax etc, before making the final decision. So far the front runner it the Ford Mondeo. Although my husband is now looking into the Santa Fe, as I think deep down he is after a 4x4, but I am wanting a family car as a first priority!!! Heres waiting for the budget, before the next installment on this debate.

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
Believe it or not the Cr-v is the same size as the Sorento (6cms shorter),also the XE model has selectable 2 -4wd.

I wouldnt compare the Sorento with the LR at all completley different league

The Sante Fe is a bigger vechicle than the 2 but extremley good value and can seat 7 and both models auto and manual fall into the

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts