How do I empty my caravans pink water

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Beginners question here.

When I am on site and I pack up, I don't know the 'correct' way to empty my pink water used for flushing toilet. Theres sometimes quite a bit left in here. Surely I don't just pull the bung out and let it drain away somewhere? Or should I try and 'catch it' in a bucket.

I also saw another caravanner at Sandy Balls empty his toilet cassette into a normal toilet in the normal toilet area. I'm sure I've read somewhere that this is not to be done. I can see why it most definitely it should not be done on a hygenic basis but doesn't it all just go down the same sewer? In other words, can I do it at home where I am then going to ensure the area is left spotlessly clean.

Thanks

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I normally just flush all the pink fluid into the toilet at the end of our stay. I then empty the loo as usual.

Most sites have a designated place to empty the cassette, but it could be emptied down a normal toilet. Abroad the casette is sometimes just emptied this way.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In this month's PC there is ahandy tip on how to modify the drain bung on a Thetford so that you can drain the pink fluid into a container awithout it going into the base of the Thetford cabinet. The pink than then be ditched into the grey water or down into the chemical loo waste reception. I cannot understand the design logic of Thetford as their earlier models had a plastic drain tube that avoided the potential mess of the last remnants of the pink fluid going into the floor of the Thetford cabinet. Such is progress in the van world.... a cottage industry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I normally just flush all the pink fluid into the toilet at the end of our stay. I then empty the loo as usual.

Most sites have a designated place to empty the cassette, but it could be emptied down a normal toilet. Abroad the casette is sometimes just emptied this way.
I would do it this way, which is what Thetford advise but I think this is a waste of pink fluid and hard earned.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After a while you will get a rough idea how much flush water you use. I reckon we go through about 2 litres a day. So if its getting near the end of our holiday I just put in the appropriate amount, and at the end theres not usually too much left over. I then pump whats left over through into the cassette toilet and empty it in the normal way.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Ian

We have an older van where the cassette has a drain tube to aid emptying.

At the end of the stay,I empty the cassette as normal,then flush the pink through a couple of times,then remove cassette and prop against van and use the drain tube to empty the remaining flush into the cassette and then dispose of that at the CDP.

This means the last thing in the cassette is the flush so hopefully helps the cassette stay cleaner and sweeter

Gill

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, another tick off my list.

I will probably empty into the cassette. No harm in leaving 'a bit' into the tank anyway as its not too near the rear of the van.

Thanks

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Why do you want to empty the pink?I can understand for the winter but not during the summer ,its a waste of money.

You could drain it into a plastic bottle then re use when you are back out.

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
I always follow the same routine:

Weekends away, I use a 2&1/2 litre container of "Pink Mix" and for any loger stays I use the 5 litre mix I've made up.

At the end of the stay, I drain back the unused mix and put it away for next time.

That way, no running out of loo flush in the middle of the night (and getting a right earful from SWMBO) and no leaving any in the tank to freeze/muck up the system/grow mould etc when the 'van is not being used!

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
We always empty the cassette before moving off but NEVER empty the flushing water. In all our caravanning years the toilets have been well insulated and the water and chemical has never frozen but we do keep our caravan at home.

When not in use every week we operate the toilet and have never had any problems with them as they are kept working all year round.

I've never known anyone of our friends or family to drain down toilet holding tanks or the water heater before moving off. We only drain the inboard tanks.

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Presumably it's a recommendation from Thetford why you all drain the pink flush fluid every trip but I have never ever drained the remainder of the liquid unless there has been a threat of very low temperatures over night. For the majority of the year I merely top up when I arrive on site and have never had a leak en route.

Bill

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
We've just checked a couple of Theford manuals and the Thetford website. We can only find advice from Thetford to drain down when putting in to storage not when travelling.

It seems like the old lets make caravanning a chore brigade have been pushing more of their work generating ideas :O)

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
OK, with it now.

I was just following my 'Ladybird book of caravanning' where it says 'drain down all water tanks before travelling'.

I'll leave it in in future. Maybe thats why it is only a simple bung and not a tube/pipe. Its not supposed to be drained down all the time I assume.

Ian

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Ian,

Please be aware that if there is still a fair amount of water in the flush system, then whilst travelling the force of the water splashing about could force the bung out.

It is this reason that I drain all water from each relevant system, as to not cause any damage to the seals. Remember one litre of fluid is equal to one kilogram.

This I assume is why your Ladybird Book of Caravanning tells you to drain all the systems before travelling (and whilst in storage due to the freezing potential at this time of year)

best regards, Martin

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Here we go :0)

I guess that over the past twenty years we've towed caravans the equivalent of 5 times around the world and a bit.

No bungs or water seals or anything else has broken loose, and none of our caravanning contacts have suffered problems from a litre or two of well contained water in a holding tank or heat body.

To the contrary we hear of more problems with people who keep draining everything down letting everything dry out.

Thetford do not advise to drain down the flush tank. There is no need at all.

Drain everything down tales whenever moving off is just more caravanning hocum pocum.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Shady Sadie

I am so pleased that neither your feiends or you have had any problem not having drained your systems down before travelling but please for those of us who prefer to err on the side of caution dont dismiss us as hocum pocum.

What problems have you come across with everything being drained as that is a new one to me?

Gill

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Just think of how much pink you must be getting through by draining this down.I agree with draining down of on board tanks and hot water.

I have trouble pulling the bung out with my hands so the likely hood of it ever coming out under the weight of sloshing water is nil.

A pump suspended in pink water which also is a lubricant is better than than no water at all,never hand a pump sieze but a friend who drains down has had 2 fail.

G

Brave girl Shady! I'm with you.

"Caution" and "over the top" come close in my rule book.

These forums are full of people asking about drying out seals, lubricating casette blades,pump failures and more.

I'll roll with "hocum pocum" and caravanning work making worrymongers.

Caravanning is supposed to be a relaxing pastime, why make more needless work! We have an older 97 caravan that visiting friends and family use and a newer van. Never have drained down the flushing tanks or water heaters on any caravan we've had and have never had a problem in our time caravanning. None of our caravanning group do it and all have caravanned problem free.

I have though been to the aid of people on sites with sticking pumps, leaking seals and air locks. Most were draining down caution types ;-(

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I have no problem using French water and can't really see the point of taking 10Kgs of English water away on summer holiday to the south of France. However, I'm not so in love with French water that I want to import it. For this reason I aways drain my heater before towing but the flush tank I leave. I do however run it low in the days preceeding a trip.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Here we go :0)

I guess that over the past twenty years we've towed caravans the equivalent of 5 times around the world and a bit.

No bungs or water seals or anything else has broken loose, and none of our caravanning contacts have suffered problems from a litre or two of well contained water in a holding tank or heat body.

To the contrary we hear of more problems with people who keep draining everything down letting everything dry out.

Thetford do not advise to drain down the flush tank. There is no need at all.

Drain everything down tales whenever moving off is just more caravanning hocum pocum.
Shady,

I will take your comments on board (No Pun intended) and leave the Flush Tank as it is, as there is not too much fluid left anyway. But I will drain the water heater as this holds 20ltrs and is at the front of the van (too much noseweight),

best regards, Martin

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I see your comment Happy Lappy. I'm not familiar with a heater that holds 20 litres.

I think ours holds about 9 litres, the manual only advises that it is emptied when laying up not when travelling. We've never found nose weight a problem, but I can unserstand if you have an issue with that.

When drained during the winter we've found that the water glugs and seems to bubble when re filled and it takes a while to clear air locks.

We were advised that people have turned on water heaters at sites forgeting that no water is in them leading to premature failure.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
I see your comment Happy Lappy. I'm not familiar with a heater that holds 20 litres.

I think ours holds about 9 litres, the manual only advises that it is emptied when laying up not when travelling. We've never found nose weight a problem, but I can unserstand if you have an issue with that.

When drained during the winter we've found that the water glugs and seems to bubble when re filled and it takes a while to clear air locks.

We were advised that people have turned on water heaters at sites forgeting that no water is in them leading to premature failure.
Sadie, for 20ltrs please read 20pts

I took the first figure from the top of my head and yes you stand corrected. When filling the heater from scratch it uses just under a quater of a 40ltr Aquaroll. I will still drain this as my noseweight is 80kg

thank you for your reply and best regards, Martin

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I never drain any of our tanks down. When towing if we stop and use the loo it is fully usable. The water that is in the hot water tank, although cold is enough to wash your hands with.

Yes I know the water is excess weight - with 10 - 15 ltrs in the hot water tank, at least the same in a full flush tank and whatever is in the toilet cassette must equate to a few kilos, but I feel the usability on route off sets this extra weight. We have a 4 year old who often asks to use the toilet on a longish trip.

As for seals and bungs breaking lose, never been an issue. If this is a real threat then carrying the cassette across the site could be a worry if people think the seals will fail under movement and pressure.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
In summer we never bother with draining any tanks but in winter we always drain the hot water cylinder. As long as ther flush water is not filled to the brim, I don't think there is any need to drain it unless you are looking for extra work and have money to waste. We don't bother and have been in some severe weather conditions with no ill effect.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used to travel with flush water in the tank, recently the blue button shorted out and the water woundn't stop till I pulled out the fuse. The van was then only 11 months old. My dealer refused a warranty repair because (they said) that the tank must be almoat empty before travelling. Water had (they say) entered the switch through a rubber seal and dammaged the switch. I challenged them to show be in the caravan's user manual where it told me to empty the tank but they could not find any mention.

Thertford people at The NEC show confirmed that the tank should be almost empty (max 1 litre) before travelling. The man could not offer any advice when I asked him how I should know the ammount of water in the tank because there is no longer a see throu' tube.

I then asked him how to drain the tank without flooding the compartment and bathroom floor. Pump it into the waste tank and chuck it away, was his answer. What a waste of pink fluid and money I protested.

Al

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts