how do i wire in radio?

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
hope someone out there can help!i have an eldiss typhoon 4bth,and recently my wife changed her car after purchasing a new c/d sterio,and i now would like to install this new cd player in my van,we have the full kit that came with the new sterio,so if anybody could explain how to wire it in and what to wire it to i would be grate full for advice.cheers chris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will need 2 live (+) feeds;one for the memory and one for the power supply.

As the caravan habitation relay cuts all power to internal sockets(and with it the memory)you will need to run a lead via a fuse from the caravan battery.You can connect both radio feeds to this .

You then need an earth and an aerial.

If you have the Status on the roof you can use one of the outputs for the radio but only for FM.If you want AM (long and medium) you will need a separate car radio aerial. I would avoid the boosted type as there can be interference through the 12V on medium/long wave.

The speakers are connected using the leads from the kit

Hope that helps

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Chris,

Your old radio should have:

Two 12 volt power feeds, one that should be permanently connected to the van battery (it retains the tuned station memory) and should be connected to the battery positive via a 1 amp fuse.

The other feed wire would have been switched by the car ignition and this provides all the power to run the radio - this needs a fused connection of a sufficient rating to run the radio and maximum power output - probably between 5 Amp and 10 Amp.

A return wire to the battery negative terminal.

All of the power wires need to be 10 amp rated or higher.

Obviously a connection for the aerial.

And finally pairs of wires for each of the speakers.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will need 2 live (+) feeds;one for the memory and one for the power supply.

As the caravan habitation relay cuts all power to internal sockets(and with it the memory)you will need to run a lead via a fuse from the caravan battery.You can connect both radio feeds to this .

You then need an earth and an aerial.

If you have the Status on the roof you can use one of the outputs for the radio but only for FM.If you want AM (long and medium) you will need a separate car radio aerial. I would avoid the boosted type as there can be interference through the 12V on medium/long wave.

The speakers are connected using the leads from the kit

Hope that helps
The kit will probably have 2 inline fuses (one for the power and one for the memory)You can attach both of these to the new lead from the battery + or you can just attach the memory lead and use a caravan 12V socket for the power as it doesn't matter if the habitation relay cuts the power when on tow.Its easier just to use the new lead from the battery for both so long as you switch off the radio prior to towing!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts