How far to travel in a day?

Dec 19, 2006
Visit site
How many days would you plan to do a journey through France into Spain of about a 1000 miles?

Don't want to rush the journey or drive when overtired but also want to spend as much time as possible at destination. Where ever that will be?

SD

Dec 21, 2007
Visit site
I have just driven down to Costa del Sol and recommend staying on toll roads for hastle free driving. You save alot on fuel consumption which goes towards your toll charges. I found 700km per day was about right as I could cruise at around 100kph, however you will find what best suits you and your passengers. Another recmmendation is a sat. nav. My Tomtom One Europe is fantastic. My wife says that I should have got one years ago, she now enjoys sitting back and looking at the countryside instead of her head in a route map and me shouting at her for directions!! To plan a route I use www.viamichelin.com and select with caravan in options, this will give best route and toll, fuel costs. On this trip it bypassed Paris via Rouen, Le Mans and we found this autoroute much quieter although the weather was grim and we encountered snow, black ice and high winds...just what you need when towing! Safe journey.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
The original question for us would depend on the tow car and caravan being towed.

15 years ago 700kms in a day would have been a bit of a hard slog, with todays car and caravan we are happy to do that and more if we want.

My wife also drives whilst we are towing and the car is so comfortable the only thing that would put us off long distances is traffic.

Also, "second" Michael on satellite navigation and ViaM or Mappy.com and via Rouen is our chosen route south.

Distance covered should be down to driver comfort and what he/she is happy doing not what others do. One stop over should be fine on French roads, but others do it in two or three hops.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Having towed extensively through France and Spain (on autoroute)for several years I use an average distance covered of approx 50 miles per hour. This average includes breaks / fuel stops / tolls etc.

I think if you use this figure you will not be far out on timings.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
we went down to Vilanova in Spain over the Christmas and the new year a distance of 830 miles from Calais to vilanova we stopped once overnight on the way down and the same on the return ,driving on the toll roads is nothing like driving over here most places we had the road to ourself ,you dont get vast tracts of road lined with cones with no one working on them , in fact we never saw any road works for the whole journey ,you dont get the outside lane hogging ,they overtake and pull straight back into the inside lane ,all in all pleasant towing experience

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Having towed extensively through France and Spain (on autoroute)for several years I use an average distance covered of approx 50 miles per hour. This average includes breaks / fuel stops / tolls etc.

I think if you use this figure you will not be far out on timings.
Dead right.

But don't attempt please to drive too far as you might be dead; right!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if we are booking in advance we rarely go over 400 miles in a day. Whn we go out of season, we dont book in advance and have travelled well over 500 miles in a day.

based on your journey, i would give 2 stopovers personally.

Have fun!!!!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Another factor to consider I would suggest is the weather,I find in the summer if it is very hot you get tired very quickly not helped by glare where as on overcast days you remain more alert,yes you can use air con but this reduces power by about 10% and up your fuel costs by about the same and I find this worse when you stop and get out.I normally aim at a max of around 400 a day which is eight hours on toll roads.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Another factor to consider I would suggest is the weather,I find in the summer if it is very hot you get tired very quickly not helped by glare where as on overcast days you remain more alert,yes you can use air con but this reduces power by about 10% and up your fuel costs by about the same and I find this worse when you stop and get out.I normally aim at a max of around 400 a day which is eight hours on toll roads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts