How long before Alko Friction Pads need changing?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Approximately how long, perhaps in miles of towing, before the Alko Friction Pads should need changing.

Yesterday after we set off I noticed the occasional graunching noise from the hitch area. Only occurs when pulling away or when almost coming to a stop.

I confess that this was the one time I didn't clean the tow ball before setting off so maybe that could be a factor. I'll certainly remember to do it before going home.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Approximately how long, perhaps in miles of towing, before the Alko Friction Pads should need changing.

Yesterday after we set off I noticed the occasional graunching noise from the hitch area. Only occurs when pulling away or when almost coming to a stop.

I confess that this was the one time I didn't clean the tow ball before setting off so maybe that could be a factor. I'll certainly remember to do it before going home.
You probably need to clean the towball and also the friction pads. To clean I use brake cleaning spray and with the pads, stick a cloth soaked with brake fluid up the hitch and give it a rub.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always used brake dust cleaner on pads and towball prior to a trip and would give the pads a gentle rub with a nylon pan scourer. I’ve seen figures of up to 30000 miles prior to replacing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You probably need to clean the towball and also the friction pads. To clean I use brake fluid spray and with the pads, stick a cloth soaked with brake fluid up the hitch and give it a rub.
Not brake fluid……shudder or judder the thought. 😱

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think the distance before replacing the pads, depends on the type of roads you travel along. My touring into France over 10 years, would involve a lot of motorway driving and I didn't need to change pads. Yet now driving around the UK especially near Milton Keynes , lots of roundabouts.
I don't think there is any clear estimation

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m on my second set in 15 years with extensive all year round use. Mileage on motorways will not wear out the pads as miuch as say twisty roads and or Milton Keynes roundabouts.
As advised above keeping the tow ball and pads clean is important.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I'll see if there's a Halfords near by.

Don't get on motorways very much, just bendy, hilly Highland roads.

Speaking of which had some anxious moments yesterday going through Glen Coe yesterday. Nice weekend day and the motorcyclists were out in force taking some extreme risks over taking me when there were on coming cars. Wouldn't have been the first time we've got stuck after a fatality. Arrived on site and checked news. Day before, Saturday, at the time we would have been going through there was a fatality. Another life cut short .....sad.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Speaking of which had some anxious moments yesterday going through Glen Coe yesterday. Nice weekend day and the motorcyclists were out in force taking some extreme risks over taking me when there were on coming cars. Wouldn't have been the first time we've got stuck after a fatality. Arrived on site and checked news. Day before, Saturday, at the time we would have been going through there was a fatality. Another life cut short .....sad.
It was the same driving from Caernarfon back to Wiltshire on A470 this Saturday. Never seen so many bikes. British and European groups touring and those just out for the day.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can you recommend a spray?
Brake and clutch cleaner. Any motor accessories shop, Halfords or Amazon.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 17, 2022
Visit site

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I'm afraid I have very little compassion or sympathy for any motorcyclists killed or injured if they have been stupid or reckless in their decision making. At least they don't normally take somebody else with them.

It's one thing if they are hit by an inattentive car driver but quite another if their foolishness results in their demise.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations on being appointed as a moderator. (y) :ROFLMAO:
And you’ve never commented on a thread that diverts well off topic? IE “Bubble has burst” 😱

I wasn’t attempting moderation in any way shape or form. For what it’s worth my view is that any road death or serious injury is to be regretted. Notwithstanding the individual concerned the effect on emergency responders, family and friends can be traumatic and long lasting.

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I am attempting moderation!
Everyone is entitled to their views and whilst I have tweaked some language, no forum rules have been broken so far; but bear in mind that this is a public forum and can be read by everyone including children. Please consider the impact of what you are saying on folks who may read this that have lost loved ones; regardless of the cause or fault.
Thank you
Mel

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I am attempting moderation!
Everyone is entitled to their views and whilst I have tweaked some language, no forum rules have been broken so far; but bear in mind that this is a public forum and can be read by everyone including children. Please consider the impact of what you are saying on folks who may read this that have lost loved ones; regardless of the cause or fault.
Thank you
Mel

I've deleted the 'offending' post as the word you chose was not one of my choosing.

Last edited:

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
What is a bit strange is that no body thus far has mentioned that the Alko hitch on the 'van will actually give an indication as to the wear on the friction pads.

Unless I've missed it..

Reactions: Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
What is a bit strange is that no body thus far has mentioned that the Alko hitch on the 'van will actually give an indication as to the wear on the friction pads.

Unless I've missed it..
Yes I was aware of there being some indication but I'm not sure how accurate thus is. Could it tell if one pad has cracked or broken... I don't know 🙄

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts