How long do tyres last?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I spoke to my daughter about insurance aspects relating to tyres. There doesn't appear to be any specific details other than the caravan must be 'roadworthy' although its unclear what this actually means.

In respect of the Warranty of Fitness both for cars and caravans, relating to tyres, the details seem to focus mostly on tyre tread and pressure and is a little vague on condition although this is checked. Markings on the tyres are checked by no mention about date checking.

NZ is pretty laid back about things like this. As a point of interest Car Insurance is not compulsory.

A couple of tyre manufacturers I came across indicate a life span of 10 years.
Isn't third party insurance built into the cost of the road tax? In the UK cracked tyres is not a MOT fail unless the beading can be seen.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I don't think any insurance company could avoid a payout even if the tyres were 20 years old and in reasonably good condition and would pass a MOT check.
I'm just relating what my service engineer told me from his experience when he found the tyres on my caravan were over six years old last year.
I knew how old they were and they were in excellent condition with 5mm tread left but, I changed them based on his advice. My brother who supplied and fitted the new tyres said I must be mad and he later fitted my old tyres to a van, the owner of which was over the moon with the bargain.

It's not unlike caravan servicing. It's not mandatory to have your caravan serviced but the manufacturer won't honour a warranty if the caravan isn't serviced by an approved workshop. Any way to avoid paying out and, I'm one of those suckers who won't take the risk if the worse should happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Over here in Germany one is limited to 80km/h if, among other requirements, the tyres are over 6 years old, so I do change them regularly. However I also have a flatbed trailer for short trips to the local dump and they are over 15 years old but still in good condition. There is a biennial vehicle roadworthiness inspection here which also applies to trailers and the tyres have never been failed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't think that's the case given that NZ insurance companies will sell Third Party only insurance.
Many countries have third party insurance incorporated into the road tax. I think it is an excellent idea and I think the same should be done in the UK.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As raised earlier not all tyres are born the same, in technology of build, quality and selling price.
Whilst one brand as I have found shows distress at three years, other on the same van, stored and used in either or directly similar situations, are looking externally and internally near "perfect," 7 years on.

My "failures" were made up of plies of sheet material wrapped, and tread bed of wire cores of multi lengths randomly placed steel wire clumped in place void in others.
The replacements claim a knitted reinforcing carcass, not a build up, and "bands" of steel wire" tread substrate.

"Chalk and Cheese", but so were the prices.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Many countries have third party insurance incorporated into the road tax. I think it is an excellent idea and I think the same should be done in the UK.

Which countries are they? It would mean that the insurance has a monopoly and it wouldn’t be possible to get competitive quotes.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I have a distinct feeling tyres change their "compliance" with age, that is the walls "harden" and the flex becomes reduced.
Reshodding cars with the same generic version of tyres I notice in the past a change in handling.

Linked to this I have once had mixed age but otherwise identical tyres on a caravan and noticed the pressure rise in use of the young tyre, was greater than its "age hardened" sibling. Even after observations to counter the sunynside effects.

An issue that motivates me not to push the life too far, despite things being visually good.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Which countries are they? It would mean that the insurance has a monopoly and it wouldn’t be possible to get competitive quotes.
I know South Africa and Zimbabwe have this policy and they would have got the idea from other countries.

Only third party is included and not comprehensive insurance. Benefit is that it reduces the number of uninsured vehicles on the road. In the event of an accident where you are not at fault, the third party insurance still pays for the damage to your vehicle, but not to the other vehicle.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As well as UV, Ozone and low usage affect tyre life, Michelin advise agsinst tyre shine as some can affect the chemical compounds in the sidewalls. Gosh life used to be so straightforward at one time. Wonder what Chat says about shine compounds?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is difficult to be sure of the life of a tyre. We had a Coachman for ten years and never had a problem with the tyres, but our Eldiss had cracks in the tyre sidewalls after six. I cannot say from our experience which of the two was the more likely as these are the only caravans we have kept over five years. I am not even sure if the two caravans had different makes of tyres which also might be relevant. The Eldiss did have cheap ones as I know from when we priced new tyres. The fact is that the tyres can deteriorate after five years and need careful checking at regular intervals.
As our current caravan is coming up to five years I will be watching this though.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I know South Africa and Zimbabwe have this policy and they would have got the idea from other countries.

Only third party is included and not comprehensive insurance. Benefit is that it reduces the number of uninsured vehicles on the road. In the event of an accident where you are not at fault, the third party insurance still pays for the damage to your vehicle, but not to the other vehicle.

I don’t quite see how it reduces the number of uninsured vehicles as chances are that they are probably untaxed too.
In Germany third party insurance is only included in road tax when transit number plates are issued for vehicles that are registered temporarily, but they are only valid for 3 days. Besides, some vehicles are exempt from tax although they, too, have to be registered.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a distinct feeling tyres change their "compliance" with age, that is the walls "harden" and the flex becomes reduced.
Reshodding cars with the same generic version of tyres I notice in the past a change in handling.

Linked to this I have once had mixed age but otherwise identical tyres on a caravan and noticed the pressure rise in use of the young tyre, was greater than its "age hardened" sibling. Even after observations to counter the sunynside effects.

An issue that motivates me not to push the life too far, despite things being visually good.
Low usage is given as one cause of tyre ageing as the compounds in the tyre designed to combat premature ageing aren’t kept distributed throughout. That ties in with your observations.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just been trying to find the origin of this 5 year rule and it appears that it may have come from the Caravan Club before it rebranded itself to the Caravan and Motorhome Club. They made a recommendation that tyres should be changed ideally at five years and certainly no longer than seven years. They also said that consideration should be given to replacing tyres with inflation pressures above 50psi after three years and no later than five years. But, it is just that, a recommendation, yet some insurance companies have set it in stone as a hard and fast rule.
The point is, this isn't law. Providing the tyres on a caravan or trailer are in overall good condition they could remain in service for up to ten years. However, should a blowout occur causing damage to the caravan or the caravan is involved in a collision and it is fitted with tyres over five years old, the insurance company may not pay out.
(Edit) In the UK......

There is a difference between cars and caravan insurances.

Car insurance has to conform to the regulated standards. These have to cover a vehicle that is in roadworthy condition, and that prevents an insurer stipulating any age limit on tyres provided they meet the minimum MOT requirements.

An insurer would find it difficult to dispute a claim in a car as long as the tyres conform to the requirements of the MOT.

However caravan insurance is differnt. As the scope of cover is not regulated, the caravan insurer can place whatever limitations it wants on the cover provided they are detailed in the T&C applicable to the cover in operation, and made available to the proposer before the policy is agreed.

Insurance companies cannot (except where the law has changed and has to be applied retrospectively ) make changes to policies without ensuring policy holders have been previously informed of the change.

Insurers cannot introduce a change to the scope of cover in a policy that is running and make it act retrospectively unless it is a requirement under law. Any changes to policy T&C's should only become active when you renew your policy.

Always read and understand the renwall documentation and read it like its a new policy.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Low usage is given as one cause of tyre ageing as the compounds in the tyre designed to combat premature ageing aren’t kept distributed throughout. That ties in with your observations.
A friend of mine has an older car maybe 20 years old and I think she has an annual mileage of less than 1000miles. The same tyres since new, sits in the same place on her driveway one side in the sun. My caravan has done more miles than her car.
I always have a good look at my caravan tyres, when the wheels are, removed from the van twice a year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tyre life is almost certainly affected by environmental conditions. But also the compounds used for tyre construction can also vary depending on where they are going to be sold and used.

Even if you buy the same make and model of tyre a few years apart, the manufacturers may have changed the mix of material used to manufacture the tyre leading to different life span characteristics.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Tyre life is almost certainly affected by environmental conditions. But also the compounds used for tyre construction can also vary depending on where they are going to be sold and used.

Even if you buy the same make and model of tyre a few years apart, the manufacturers may have changed the mix of material used to manufacture the tyre leading to different life span characteristics.
I agree therefore many years ago the recommendation to change tyres every 5 years would have been very valid, however technology has moved on and there is a possibility that tyres on a caravan or trailer could last up to 10 or more years before requiring a change. Of course sellers of tyres do not want you to know this sort of information if correct.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With out a legal retirement age for tyres (no pun intended, but Ill take it) being inforce, it is the condition of the trye that must dictate when it needs to be replace, not an arbitrary advisory number of years or even mileage.

Nothing can substitute for regular checks, and ensuring the tyres are correctly inflated, and vehicle or trailer tracking is functioning correctly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree therefore many years ago the recommendation to change tyres every 5 years would have been very valid, however technology has moved on and there is a possibility that tyres on a caravan or trailer could last up to 10 or more years before requiring a change. Of course sellers of tyres do not want you to know this sort of information if correct.
I’m finding the opposite. Even in cars there is sidewalk cracking leading to advisories at MOT with five year old Dunlops, and similarly aged Yokohamas. Whilst tyre technology is undoubtedly better what evidence is there to support reduced ageing such that they can have a longer life?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back on Wi-Fi for a moment. Somewhere on the A417 in Herefordshire this happened. We felt nothing but conclude one of the numerous pot holes was responsible. Proving it is nigh impossible. Is it worth a letter to Hereford Council? Probably a waste of time. Mobile guy out tomorrow £80.00😢 Some may say looking at the photos the tyre is fine. Not worth taking a chance. I don’t know what damage may now lurk beneath the rubber.
The death knell of a caravan tyre is the UV exposure and standing still for long periods. My AWS looks at the inner and outer walls for signs of cracking. Any cracks they get changed

Attachments

• 3B47CBAD-DD01-4511-93A7-9542FB411453.jpeg
    3B47CBAD-DD01-4511-93A7-9542FB411453.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 8FA8FDE0-195E-4DF6-A20D-B8952AF9ED0E.jpeg
    8FA8FDE0-195E-4DF6-A20D-B8952AF9ED0E.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 6
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’m finding the opposite. Even in cars there is sidewalk cracking leading to advisories at MOT with five year old Dunlops, and similarly aged Yokohamas. Whilst tyre technology is undoubtedly better what evidence is there to support reduced ageing such that they can have a longer life?
There is no evidence at present as not enough time has passed?

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Condition is far more important than age.
As far as I'm aware it's HGV'S, buses, and coaches that have a legal requirement of tyres being no more than 10 years old.
How many firms do you think still recut treads in commercial tyres?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts