How many couples can both tow your caravan?

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

We are new to caravanning and are considering whether both myself and my husband need to take the B+E test.

As we both passed after 1997, neither of us can legalling tow anything but the tiniest of caravans due to the kerb weight of our tow car so need to add the B+E to our licence.

I'm just wondering how many couples are both able to tow? In 99.9% of circumstances it will be my husband towing the caravan - the only reason for me to take the test is as an "insurance policy" incase he was unable to get us home for any reason, such as an injury.

I was advised I could tow on L Plates if my husband passed his B+E but I believe this is only correct after he's held the B+E test for 3+ years.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello there,
both myself and my husband tow our van.
We both passed our tests before 1997 so already had the B&E classes on our licences. My husband was experienced in towing and quite comfortable with it when we decided to buy a caravan.
On the other hand I was quite nervous and wasn't sure if I would want to tow so off we went to the caravan and motorhome show at the NEC and I booked myself onto one of the free towing experience sessions run by the camping and caravan club to have a go.
The instructor was a semi retired driving instructor and put me at ease straight away, I spend about half an hour driving around the NEC with its roundabouts, junctions etc so it was a great taster and really gave me the confidence to give it a go.
Two years on, my husband does do most of the towing as he enjoys it but if we are travelling a long distance we take turns to drive.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We old dogs are pre 1997 so no problem
12 years ago SWMBO did the 1.5 weekend couse with the then Caravan Club Evesham.
Brilliant and worth every penny. The books given out are excellent and even I learnt from her a number of tips :cheer:

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We're both pre historic as well so both B+E SWMBO now does nearly all of the towing as I can only manage about an hour driving at a time. She cut her teeth on quite a big unit so nothing really phases her with towing now.

The bigger question is how many couples, both empty the toilet? :whistle:

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Again both have pre-97 licences and Mrs Mogwyth grew up driving tractors and towing farm equipment, so quite happy taking a turn. Think its pretty useful if you both can means long distances and inability to drive are not a hindrance.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Martin24 said:
We're both pre historic as well so both B+E SWMBO now does nearly all of the towing as I can only manage about an hour driving at a time. She cut her teeth on quite a big unit so nothing really phases her with towing now.

The bigger question is how many couples, both empty the toilet? :whistle:

We do! Setting up I tend to do the leveling etc, will she does water waste and electrics, after that who ever finds anything needs filling or emptying they do it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
sheridesaunicorn said:
Hi all,
As we both passed after 1997, neither of us can legalling tow anything but the tiniest of caravans due to the kerb weight of our tow car so need to add the B+E to our licence...

Like most of teh other replies you've had I'm very pre 1997 so automatically got the Be category.

However my reason for posting is technical error in your post that I've quoted above:- The Licence restriction for Cat B is based on the cars Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or Gross Vehicle Weight, (GVW) not its kerb weight - a very big difference.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Also pre 1997 for both of us, but I won't tow. I dare say I could if I tried; but I would hate every second. I don't especially like driving when not towing. OH does the towing.
BUT C&MC Mayday breakdown cover will sort out someone to tow the van if the main driver is incapacitated. Sorted.
Mel

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
We are also both 'prehistoric', and the good lady drives once or twice a year to keep her hand in. - The main reason for only once or twice is that I don't knit! -- (Can't)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, wife never tows; in fact would never drive my car at all as she is used only to small ones. I have no problem driving long distances, with breaks.

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
We're "young-uns" and I took my B+E last year, not that SWMBO ever towed the old van prior to me passing.
Once I've had the B+E for 3 years, she can to wit with L plates so long as I'm in the passenger seat.
I doesn't bother me doing the towing as I'm used to distance driving and my wife is severely "directionally challenged" :lol:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid I do all the driving. My wife prefers the ability to criticise, which can only be done from the passenger seat.

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
sheridesaunicorn said:
Hi all,
As we both passed after 1997, neither of us can legalling tow anything but the tiniest of caravans due to the kerb weight of our tow car so need to add the B+E to our licence...

Like most of teh other replies you've had I'm very pre 1997 so automatically got the Be category.

However my reason for posting is technical error in your post that I've quoted above:- The Licence restriction for Cat B is based on the cars Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or Gross Vehicle Weight, (GVW) not its kerb weight - a very big difference.

Sorry I should have been more specific - I know the difference but haven't been as clear as I could have been.

The restriction on our current basic licence is the 3.5 tonnes for the entire outfit but as the kerb weight alone of our tow car is 2.7 tonne I don't think it would be even possible to tow an empty 6 birth caravan let alone with anything in it.

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Andy-H said:
We're "young-uns" and I took my B+E last year, not that SWMBO ever towed the old van prior to me passing.
Once I've had the B+E for 3 years, she can to wit with L plates so long as I'm in the passenger seat.
I doesn't bother me doing the towing as I'm used to distance driving and my wife is severely "directionally challenged" :lol:

Yes I was told this about the L Plates! Usefull but not for another 3 years ha!

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone - I doubt I'll ever actually need to pull the caravan. It would literally be an emergency situation only! The Range Rover is big enough for me to cope with without a caravan on the back of it!!!

It's good to know even those with the older style licences don't have any intention of having both tow the vehicle - I guess it would be no different if only my husband could drive a car and I didn't have a licence at all!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi there, welcome to the forum , My Old girl. SWILAO. Used to drive our Sante Fe, until she took the rear awning rail off coming out of storage, with a friend watching, then she had a small stroke, we are yound and retired, ( And Woosies and since then, has lost confidence, but tells me how to do things,
I think she has used this for me to drive all the time whilst she has a bevvie the night before we leave a site.
The clubs, both towing courses are very good and will give you very valubale experience and information.
Hutch.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Hi there, welcome to the forum , My Old girl. SWILAO. Used to drive our Sante Fe, until she took the rear awning rail off coming out of storage, with a friend watching, then she had a small stroke, we are yound and retired, ( And Woosies and since then, has lost confidence, but tells me how to do things,
I think she has used this for me to drive all the time whilst she has a bevvie the night before we leave a site.
The clubs, both towing courses are very good and will give you very valubale experience and information.
Hutch.

Magic :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
sheridesaunicorn said:
Thanks for the replies everyone - I doubt I'll ever actually need to pull the caravan. It would literally be an emergency situation only! The Range Rover is big enough for me to cope with without a caravan on the back of it!!!

You would soon get the hang of it, my wife is a mere slip, 5' 4" and 8,5 st and manages a Discovery 3 and big twin axle caravan, without any probems,

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
SWMBO is also a 5'4" small ole thing. She's never towed anything less than a 26' twin axle. She's done this with some pretty beefy tow cars including a 110 Defender. Our next car going to be a Mercedes Sprinter medium wheelbase which equates to about another 2' length when compared to the current D-Max. She's not at all phased by the prospect.

Honestly it's just as well to start as you mean to go on which is to do as much of the towing as you can. We used to have an approx split of 75:25% me doing the 75% that has gradually changed as my illness has progressed, it's now more like a 90:10% split with her doing the 90%. If she hadn't started by doing a fair chunk she says it would have been difficult to have the confidence to do the amount of towing she does now.

I don't want to sound as if I'm lecturing here but if you keep up your skills regularly IF you NEED to tow a longer distance suddenly and unexpectedly it won't worry you at all. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My wife has never towed the caravan and makes it very clear that she has no intention of doing so! She's driven solo in Discoveries, Sorento, XC70, Forester and Pajero but when I (we) decided to trade the Forester and buy the Superb Estate her face was an absolute picture. Even the salesman asked her if she was happy with the purchase, to which she said "No". Anyway she likes the Skoda but has made it clear that she has no intention of driving it. I think her problem is that it's low, and as with most modern cars they are so designed to protect the occupants and outsiders that she doesn't feel comfortable not being able to see any where near the outermost points of the car. We live in a small town where even small cars have difficulty passing. So caravan sites now must be within walking distance of a pub, or BYO. I'm ever hopeful that she will drive the car and perhaps our forthcoming trip to north Scotland might be the place to start, with the long open roads and scarcity of towns.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We both tow. Both went on a towing course. But I do the tricky reversing etc.
She always tows off the site when leaving. The looks from other folks can be priceless.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We do/did. Combined age of 155. 30 years ago I did it all but more recently shared particularly on longer trips e.g. down to Spain in late December. Generally I did mornings and OH afternoons which meant I could have glass of wine with lunch.
With my increasing loss of vision over years it's now just one driver but she's done the complete round trip to Spain and back twice 3500 miles each time includinf the ferries.
Main problem she has is with roundabouts as being from USA was not familiar with them. Also expects other drivers to behave properly and not to try to overtake while negotiating a roundabout - all too common both in UK and France.
She had an afternoon traing with a local driving school offering trailer towing instruction, using our car and their trailer, which was excellent and tailored to fit rather than a set syllabus.
Not being able to drive after more than 60 years of doing so is more than a little frustrating but at least we can stll go caravanning in Europe and UK which I have been doing now for more than 50 years.
I hope this will encourage those much younger to plan ahead, get B+E as required, and shre.
But sharing is two way and should include the domestic stuff as well. Trouble is, I 'm not in the same leage as a chef.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
it's now just one driver but she's done the complete round trip to Spain and back twice 3500 miles each time includinf the ferries
Wow that is fantastic ! Its something I aspire to do one day but am a bit nervous of driving on the continent until I am more experienced at towing in the UK !

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Martin24 said:
I don't want to sound as if I'm lecturing here but if you keep up your skills regularly IF you NEED to tow a longer distance suddenly and unexpectedly it won't worry you at all. :)

That is actually my biggest concern! If I don't do it enough I'll never be confident enough to do it when the need comes up!!!

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I probably will take the B+E at some point but won't hurry to do it immediately. My Dad has offered to sit with me so I can practice with my own car and caravan so I may well take him up on that offer too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts