Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
Dealing with a family estate.. Found a 1982 Burstner travel trailer "City" - Purchased new while father in law was stationed in Germany.

All original, including a large tent that attaches to the side of it. Not musty/no rodents etc. Needs some new weatherstripping (and serious updating of upholstery) but thats about it

Have no idea where to go, who to talk to in Canada to find a value

Realize this is a buyers forum, but it seems to be the most active forum related that I can find?
Any suggestions of value, finding out the value, or serious offers

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi accidentalaquarist. Looks like you are in Canada. Has it been under cover. have you tried a damp meter. The original furnishings could be a very good thing for vintage look and it would have a decent value over here or in Germany I imagine, for a collector. But that may not cover shipping.

Look for Burstner (now owned by Hymer), clubs and associations who may be able to help more.

eg... https://burstnerclub.co.uk/

Just out of interest why not post some pictures.

John

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
thanks for the quick replay..

Yes its been under a raised tarp for the last 20+ years, literally seeing the first sun today in decades.
burstnerclub... is exactly the type of folks I need but couldn't seem to find with a google search

Photos, snapped a few but didn't have a plan for posting yet... so not the best
attaching what I have

father in law kept for an emergency shelter, since his passing 5 years ago mom has just okayed us starting to clean up the estate

Attachments

• 20220625_113312.jpg
    20220625_113312.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220625_113339.jpg
    20220625_113339.jpg
    986.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220625_113532.jpg
    20220625_113532.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220625_113537.jpg
    20220625_113537.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220625_113547.jpg
    20220625_113547.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220625_113656.jpg
    20220625_113656.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220625_114420.jpg
    20220625_114420.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220625_120717.jpg
    20220625_120717.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220625_121218.jpg
    20220625_121218.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220625_121222.jpg
    20220625_121222.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes the furnishings are totally naff. But I imagine that that is a good thing and will add to the value. The pit marks to the front could be filled and sprayed. Why not give it a good wash and take some more photos,

The bunks look a bit unoriginal construction which is disappointing.

John

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
Yes the furnishings are totally naff. But I imagine that that is a good thing and will add to the value. The pit marks to the front could be filled and sprayed. Why not give it a good wash and take some more photos,

John

Yes a wash is high on the priority list, then proper presentation/sale photos. New weather striping and touch ups also - was amazed to find the window gaskets are still supple and seal perfectly

Not sure about the bunks, Dad was pretty handy and may have added them for my wife and sister in law when they were kids

Mom was suggesting selling it for about $2000 CAN --roughly 1200 british pounds, but I suspect it might be worth more.
Ultra light, I moved it around with one hand in the tall grass and very low tires with no issue today (dad passed years ago and the tires haven't been filled in at least a decade but they still rolled perfectly). In Germany they used to pull it with a VW rabbit, so that gives you an idea of how light/balanced it is

Our kids are excited about maybe keeping it for camping, but I know nothing about travel trailers... just my work trailers

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
No idea what the Caravan market is like in Canada. In the UK I would look on large internet sites that host caravan sales such as Autotrader and Caravanfinder. That way, you look for comparable caravans and get an idea what they are being sold for.
I imagine youhave an Autotrader type equivalent where you are that might give you some idea of what vans of that age and spec are going for.
Thank you for posting, loved the pictures
Mel

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
No idea what the Caravan market is like in Canada. In the UK I would look on large internet sites that host caravan sales such as Autotrader and Caravanfinder. That way, you look for comparable caravans and get an idea what they are being sold for.
I imagine youhave an Autotrader type equivalent where you are that might give you some idea of what vans of that age and spec are going for.
Thank you for posting, loved the pictures
Mel

I have definitely been scouring the local buy/sell sites as well as autotrader. ca
What I have learnt is the following of this particular caravan is much larger in western europe, and pretty much unheard of locally

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site

John
Turns out the bunks were an original factory installed option.. just need some tlc

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Turns out the bunks were an original factory installed option.. just need some tlc

I dare say it had bunks originally. But it looks to me that they have been altered. The top bunk would normally fold away for daytime use. But that appears to have a screwed bracket. The supports timbers are in two pieces of differing thicknesses and then there is the odd recess. But it could no doubt be put back. It needs some pictures of the model as knew.

1656281375205.jpeg

John

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
I dare say it had bunks originally. But it looks to me that they have been altered. The top bunk would normally fold away for daytime use. But that appears to have a screwed bracket. The supports timbers are in two pieces of differing thicknesses and then there is the odd recess. But it could no doubt be put back. It needs some pictures of the model as knew.

John

Definitely seeing what you are pointing out.

Mom is sitting right here next to me as we read your comment. She says that Dad added wood and angle brackets to support the upper bunk after a a round of tickle monster collapsed it... Haven't checked but she says it still folds upwards and the lower bunk can be used as a couch

The drawer slide you point out is part of the closet (not in picture) the face of which is laying on the floor

The more I investigate this the more I am inclined to take it on myself

Reactions: Mel and Jcloughie
Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
I don't think I'm going to be of much use as mine was only 2006, and was mostly dry when I started work. But if you're still interested in knowing the value, I found a 1983 version of yours on the German eBay:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/204002044922
It's on auction, so the price should go up as it gets closer to the end.
The only other thing I'd suggest is not to go looking for damp with a chisel and a screwdriver! If there's damp there's probably a lot of it, and then you need to think about how much time you want to invest in it. We did ours after an inspection of the timbers and mostly all that was needed was some new wood around the battery box and converting the bunk beds into a fixed double. The rest of it was upholstery, fixing all the broken bits and pieces inside, and the windows. Another tip, if the windows are delaminating don't bother with the bonding agent that some people suggest. It's expensive, sets like a rock if you have any left over so you have to use it all in one go, and every window I've done has started to fail after just 8 months. New windows will be cheaper in the long run. The best practical advise we got was on this site, good bunch of blokes.

Reactions: Jcloughie and Mel
Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
I don't think I'm going to be of much use as mine was only 2006, and was mostly dry when I started work. But if you're still interested in knowing the value, I found a 1983 version of yours on the German eBay:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/204002044922
It's on auction, so the price should go up as it gets closer to the end.
The only other thing I'd suggest is not to go looking for damp with a chisel and a screwdriver! If there's damp there's probably a lot of it, and then you need to think about how much time you want to invest in it. We did ours after an inspection of the timbers and mostly all that was needed was some new wood around the battery box and converting the bunk beds into a fixed double. The rest of it was upholstery, fixing all the broken bits and pieces inside, and the windows. Another tip, if the windows are delaminating don't bother with the bonding agent that some people suggest. It's expensive, sets like a rock if you have any left over so you have to use it all in one go, and every window I've done has started to fail after just 8 months. New windows will be cheaper in the long run. The best practical advise we got was on this site, good bunch of blokes.
Thanks for the link. That '83 has a slightly different layout (door to rear of axle vs ours is in front of it) but is an awesome find. Especially showing the tent that attaches to the side

Stopped at an RV repair shop today just to see if they had any idea or if they could source parts. They didn't but a client there to pick up his starcraft overheard my questions. He had the same model as your link (the '83) while living in Europe and is interested in having a look

Your '06 how hard was it to source parts? I know I need new screw strip seals (?) and possibly a front window.

Oh and I'm a general contractor so wouldn't use a chisel and screwdriver to find damp..lol I have a non-invasive moisture meter if needed

Greatly appreciate your help

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Most of the seals etc are standard for caravans, you should be able to find them on eBay.ca together with rear lights and chassis stuff. The windows are a different matter. Burstner dealers will charge a small fortune! We were lucky enough to live not too far from a company called https://eeco-ltd.co.uk/ They had the moulds needed for manufacture and were about half the price of Burstner. You could try them, they might be able to ship. Or if caravans aren't as popular in Canada you could try looking for a place that does motorhome customisation, they might be able to help you get a window made. The reason we bought a Burstner was because they are well built vans and if looked after will stay dry and watertight. I am a poor woodcutter of 40 odd years, the best advice I have is ditch the water meter - it's going to be wet if left stood for any length of time - and get some heat going in there. Take out everything that isn't structural and give it a good clean inside, then the use your nose. Do remember a lot of the cupboards are part of the structure and are best left in situ. For other parts I'd recommend looking for a caravan breakers or dismantlers near you, or maybe a scrapyard that does caravans and/or motorhomes. One more thing, start small and do it in stages, that way it won't be overwhelming and you can celebrate your successes with a beer as you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel
Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
Spent some more time with the trailer this morning. Did find a separated seam in the back passenger side. Has a bit of dry rot there. But absolutely nowhere else.

The lighting was just right that I finally found the stamp on the tongue. But it's in german (?) so can't make out what it's supposed to say (photo attached) Anyone able to translate it for me?

Tried moving it, but it didn't budge. Suspect the axle bearings are seized. A decade without moving or servicing that is a possibility

Really starting to dig the vibes on this thing.. Might be keeping it instead of trying to sell it

Attachments

• 20220702_131627.jpg
    20220702_131627.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts