how much to fill your tank? and how far does it get you?

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I drive a volvo xc90 and tow a twin axle.

Usually put fuel in the tank in multiples of £20 as most towing journies are aprox within a 60 mile radious however for the last weekend we where travelling from Liverpool to Great Yarmouth and back.

First shock to fill the tank to full cost £95 and it wasnt even empty at the time.

Distance to great yarmouth 271 miles. Cost to re fill the tank back to full £76 then 3 days later 271 miles back home. total price for fuel for the journey £152.

Already booked ferries from Dover to continent for our summer holiday in Germay, now calculating the cost of petrol to get us their and back and beggining to think I better get saving lol.

At least my nectar points card will get the benefit.

Cheers
John

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
smiley-surprised.gif
I drive a Kia Sorento XS Auto 2008 and tow a Coachman Vip and get around the same sort of milage. It is shocking when you add it all up, but the advantages of a stable unit I think outway the costs for fuel. And as the vans get heavier, what choice do you really have to keep the larger units legal.
smiley-undecided.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
1 2 months ago £70 filled the Sorrie for a 400 mile range. Last saturday a full tank cost me just over £90. Almost a 20% .
Tell me our Government isn't doing well
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi
I tow a ranger with a megane 1.9dti. mileage on a full tank (45ltr) is about 300miles towing so I suppose if required I could just about make cornwall from yorkshire on a tankfull. allthough I have never acctually tried it.

colin

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i filled my transit with diesel before setting off to france and it cost £98, when i arrived at our house i filled up with diesel at a cost of 1.33 euro per litre aprox £1.15 per liter and it cost me about £50 for a journey from stockport to portsmouth then caen to our house st martin des pres brittany which is around 350 miles on half a tank.
the vans computer showed an average of 40.9 mpg and my average speed was 67 mph.
i have only towed the caravan once with the van and that was the same journey but back from our home in france, the van was surprisingly similar in fuel consumption with the caravan being around 4 mpg heavier on consumption with the van on tow, then again the caravan is a similar height to our transit so frontal wind resistance is minimal.
where i do notice a difference is when i go over 70 or even dare to start to do 80 plus on the continent the fuel consumption goes crazy and i have seen it as low as 32 mpg solo.
the transit is a 2008 t280 medium wheel base limited spec with a (led to believe) peugeot derived 2.2 tdci 140 diesel engine and six speed box, it is rated at 140 bhp but i have a "bluefin" engine re map computer that has the van at 187 bhp,

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Starlight

I keep a record of all my journeys however I do not pay much attention to how much I pay to fill the car up as it varies from station to station or country to country.
What is important is consumption I am amazed by some of the stories I read and hear about how low the consumption is and how good the cars are all I do know is that what I report on this site is factual and verified by two onboard computers.
The car: Mercedes C Class 220 CDI AMG Sport Automatic
The Caravan: Bailey GT60/620-6 Fully loaded 1565Kg
Average speed 46 Mph Which means I am travelling on the motorway at speedo readings of between 55mph and 60mph
Fuel consumption: 23.2 Miles per Gallon
Last trip from warrington to South east coast Half a tank of diesel fuel as per the gauge milage 127 Miles
However based on the above figures from full to empty guage reading I estimate I can do around 320 Miles
so based on todays prices £129.9 per litre and a tank capacity of 70 litres it will cost me around £90
Therefore my summer trip to croatia return will cost me around £562: pounds
John

Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
Mondeo Estate Diesel & Pegasus 534, 2 adults not much kit. During the last round of Fuel shortages I made a point of changing my driving style as I was getting less than 40MPG. The changes I have made has raised the MPG to just under 50MPG depending on runs. With the caravan on the back this drops to about 33MPG Motorways and slightly less on A roads. The changes are :
Keep the revs below 3000, and as close to 1500 when at the required speed, I have found that in 5th I can do just over 40 on the clock at 1500 and in 6th at 55 I am also doing 1500. On the motorway 75 is 2000. I find that if this creeps up the MPG starts going down.
Like most people my main consumption is home/work/home so I keep the MPG displayed on the screen and ensure that when I reach my destination it is the same or higher. Smooth driving and not too much acceleration is the key.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
At the moment, I am frightened to fill the tank as it would take all my weekly ESA payment to do so!!!!

By doing the math, I reckon £91-67p with diesel @ £1-38.9p/ltr.

On my solo average of 58Mpg, I get 838 miles.

Towing the van I get 37Mpg ish (depending on hills) so that would give me 535 miles per tank full.

Now I've had the scare of working out the cost of fuel, I'll retreat to putting my £50 a fortnight in and make it last.

Anybody got a bike for sale. :)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
80 litres of LPG about £57, and that will take me and the van about 220 miles. Solo car around 250.
Petrol? I've no idea! I just put £10 once a month for starting.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Anyone setting up in an LPG conversion business?
smiley-wink.gif

We have a Ford Mondeo Diesel Estate, and like one of the previous posters, get good mpg towing and solo - but sadly our second car (mine) is having to go. We just can't afford to run two cars any more. We don't actually need two cars any more, and our house is served by a regular bus service (and free bus pass) so that we'll manage without, but I shall be sad to see it go. Anyone want a Ford Focus automatic, estate, going cheap (well used!!!!!!!)?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A friend towed with a LPG converted Voyager and used to get half the mpg he did on petrol, good when LPG really cheap not so much now.
My car costs around £125 to fill up get low 20's towing but over 30 solo on long journeys, my wife also has a city car now get 50-60 to the gallon and £20 a year road fund tax, she prefers it than the 4x4 easy to park etc.
Its group 1 insurance and son will learn to drive in it and car share.
It cost me £13.50 to fill the mower can up the other day!!!!

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
steveinleo said:

with your back steve i assume you mean a motorbike well if thats the case mate just keep putting the diesel in the rover,
my last one a honda VFR750 was lucky if I got more than 32mpg and if switched into nutter mode used more fuel than a jet engine with afterburners on "mind you it was just as quick"
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

colin

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
I Drive a Kia Carens 2.0 Diesel. 55 Litre tank, and I dont usually let it go much below 1/4, so filling it up costs me around the £55.

Most of my driving is motorway and Im averaging low to mid 40's solo. With the van on the back, it varies dependant on the route and distance, but anywhere between mid 20's to low 30's

May 21, 2008
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
steveinleo said:

with your back steve i assume you mean a motorbike well if thats the case mate just keep putting the diesel in the rover,
my last one a honda VFR750 was lucky if I got more than 32mpg and if switched into nutter mode used more fuel than a jet engine with afterburners on "mind you it was just as quick"
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

colin

My last motor bike was a Kwakka Z1300 six cylinder. Thirstier than a dessert rat.

Your right Colin, my back wouldn't take it. But I bet we see an increase of the unregulated battery buggies.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
strange you should mention the battery buggies or powered invalid carriages to give them the correct name steve, we have had a massive increase in passengers turning up for our trains with these things and have had to take the decision to ban them all from travel unless they can be folded and placed in the luggage area.
some of them are huge and took up most of the rear part of the train and restricted free access in the case of emergency for able bodied passengers plus the batteries where of the "lead acid type" and not safe for travel, we have faced a barrage of abuse from people since the ban most of who'm appeared to be pretty much able bodied but too lazy to walk, we know this as a lot often now turn up for the train on the buggy leave it at the station then walk on to the train !.
have you seen the video's on you tube of the one that drove on a train and crashed straight through the doors on the opposite side before falling on to the track and another video showing one driving straight off the platform on to the track, very dangerous and in a lot of cases totally un nessesary form of transport which as you put should be regulated.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Steve Peters said:
Mondeo Estate Diesel & Pegasus 534, 2 adults not much kit. During the last round of Fuel shortages I made a point of changing my driving style as I was getting less than 40MPG. The changes I have made has raised the MPG to just under 50MPG depending on runs. With the caravan on the back this drops to about 33MPG Motorways and slightly less on A roads. The changes are :
Keep the revs below 3000, and as close to 1500 when at the required speed, I have found that in 5th I can do just over 40 on the clock at 1500 and in 6th at 55 I am also doing 1500. On the motorway 75 is 2000. I find that if this creeps up the MPG starts going down.
Like most people my main consumption is home/work/home so I keep the MPG displayed on the screen and ensure that when I reach my destination it is the same or higher. Smooth driving and not too much acceleration is the key.
I have an Mondeo auto 2.0L diesel and towing a Lunar 470-2CK MTPLM 1300kgs, I get about 35mpg according to the computer reading. Not bad for a big car. Average consumption according to computer is 41mpg but the car is only 6 months old.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Icemaker said:
just take the tyres off and i will couple them up to the back :~) the buggy should be ok for 90 mph shouldn't it ?

Just thought I'd post photo again it seems to have disappeared

Bikerandhisbabe.jpg

Icemaker, you will proberbly have to use the narrow gauge track!

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
Old diesel auto discovery cost last fill up £110 daren't even do the mpg!!!! Have now gone to seasonal pitch and only tow to and from use second car small citroen C3 which cost around half to fill and I'm sure does more mpg

Dec 5, 2006
Visit site
When my daughter was born 9 years ago £20 got 26 liter's of diesel, 26 liters of diesel now costs more than £35!!!

What other product has risen this much?

TRENDING THREADS