How often do you have to sterilize the aquaroll & van pipe's

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi I was wondering how often you require to sterilize the aquaroll & the onboard water tank & pipes as we don't get away every weekend,

thanks in advance for you replies

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Personally I do it at the begining of every trip.

I use a Milton solution, if it's good enough for babies it's good enough for me!

Just 1/2 fill the aquarol with water, put the required amount of Milton in it, give it a good shake & then run it through the pipe work until the aquarol is empty, leave it for 15 minutes then flush it through with 2 plain fresh water fills of the aquarol, been doing it that way since the late 70's

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
i sterilzed mine about 3 months ago when i got the van and will redo it about september time, but its totally up to you, but i would do it if its been stood for awile.

reguards mike

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
We use a separate 10 ltr water tank and jug for drinking water, so were not overly worried about sterilising the van water system. So this spring, we didn't use Milton's but after a couple of months, noticed black residue in the cold water supply. Half an Aquaroll of Miltons solved the problem immediately. It's no hassle to do it, so I reckon I'll be doing it two or three times a year to keep things clean...

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Same as GeorgeB, we do ours before we go away each time. Weak solution of Milton, flush, let stand and flush with clean water. We have had no problems in 20+ years.

Graeme.

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Same as GeorgeB, we do ours before we go away each time. Weak solution of Milton, flush, let stand and flush with clean water. We have had no problems in 20+ years.

Graeme.
been Caravaning for 15 years and never steralised any part of the water system. If you give a good clean after every trip and a rinse before a new trip there should be no need.

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
again i flush through the system when connected to water. i must admit though, the majority of sites i visit are best of british and hence have mains connection, so the aqua roll has a constantly changing supply. But having said that, i have never experienced any form of build-up in the taps, pipes or aqua roll. we use the van on a monthly basis both winter and summer perhaps this helps. i have two young children (4 and 5) who have caravaned since they where 4 weeks old with out ever experiencing a problem. It may be that i am lucky (or have the constitution of an Ox), but i do believe too much emphasis is given over to steralisation of clean water pipes that have only had fresh water through them!

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
It totally un-necessary & you won't get ill unless you've done something daft like leave stagnant water in the aquaroll for months & drink straight from it.

Just connect up, pump some fresh water through the taps & the jobs a good un.

Ask anyone who's ever done any plumbing what the inside of your cold water pipes at home are like after a few years. People think nothing of drinking from them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We do the same as George B.

Glenn may have a point but it never stopped us cleaning the baies bottles in Milton.

A word of warning. Dad in Law left his Aquaroll and pipes in Milton for two weeks. It took him ages to get rid of the taste. Oh yes , he even changed the filter. For me 24 hours is more than enough

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We used to use our van about every six weeks and sterilized the system religiously every trip.On one occasion the water pump packed up and I had to make some running repairs, which included taking the water pump apart.The black crud and mould inside certainly made up my mind not to drink the water from the aqua roll ever again.

Now we take the water filter jug from home and fill it up with a 5 ltr water container.

Regards

Nidge

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
We never ever drink water from the van water supply, Having said this we do sterilize start of every season just as a token routine but I believe water left even overnight in a plastic hose (let alone an unsealed Aquaroll) is not fit for drinking even if boiled first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts