How old is the average vanner?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Interesting to see the wide variety of occupations that we all do, which just proves what a great hobby this is to people from all walks of life.

We started vanning 19 years ago when we were just 33.

Now we're the tender age of 52, we still love it! (Caravanning that is!)

So is it an old fogey's hobby? Reveal all and let us know!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mervyn - Has it? I must have missed it! Apologies if I'm repeating a well worn thread. I've also posted this in the general section, as it's not really a towing item.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Started when in my mid 20's ,now 47. There does seem to be a lot of younger people on site,which of course is a good thing,or maybe ,like policenen they just appear younger!

Oct 17, 2005
Visit site
I'm 27 and my partner is 22, we have two children, a daughter aged 14 months and a little boy aged 6 weeks. My parents always took my caravanning with my brother and now I drive a Vauxhall Omega and pull an ABI Target 575 which is twin wheeled and is 24 ft long. I think that more younger people tend to use tents but I enjoy towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I started caravanning in 1967 and am near on 73 now i still enjoy my caravanning very much i have a bailey indiana new and drive a rover 75 tourer 2.0cdti connoisseur se and if you think that i am a pipe and slipper man you would be wrong

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
coming up 70 in nov.

have camped and caravanned since the swinging sixties. first under canvas (best beds in tents) had 4 tourers intil 1992 then went static for ten years and when fully retired got the wanderlust and tried hotels for a couple of years (found standards had not been maintained but costs had spiralled) went back to touring and am enjoying being reborn (with a mover to assist where athritis prevents pushing etc.) I have had 10 weeks away this year and now also feel I am getting value for my investment. have a safe and happy vanning life.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
⇦ I'm afraid I have to inform you I'm older than I act :O( 59 but theres plenty of life in the ol' bu**er yet. If you don't believe me ask Randy Rita or Titillating Tina ;O) They still put a saddle on my back and whip me around the Great Hall.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Coming up to the big FIVE O. have been camping and caraving since mid 80s; lots of off road / desert trecking experience; Lawrence of Arabia type sands :) Owned 2 Land Cruisers the best of which was a 4.7 litre V8 (petrol) which could pull anything anywhere !!

John

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
2 weeks?

so you are still in the stage of

"damn, I need to buy _______________"

LOL

Steve

oh boy are we ever at that stage, its costing me a fortune, mains connection for water and electric, aquaroll wastemaster etc etc etc etc

still had the first weekend away and every thing went great, cant wait to go away again

Oct 4, 2005
Visit site
'How old is the average 'vanner'? Surely that implies there is such a thing as an average 'vanner? If so how do you work out their age?(unless of course some one knows how many average 'vanners there are. Or if it means the average age of a 'vanner then surely we need to know all 'vanners' ages to work it out? Dont we? I dont quite understand.

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
51, me. Only started 'vanning 3 years ago, after many years under canvas. We were shown inside a touring caravan while camping over Easter. Our first van was in the drive 3 days after returning home! If only we'd discovered it years ago...............

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
forty years next year. started with a hired van, make unknown, then bought an Eccles Moonstone. Now have the best, a 1979 Royale.We think if we keep trying, we may get to like it soon!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Christ take a pill Mervyn :eek:) I find it works for me, and we are the same age ;o)

I don't understand a lot of things but in this case I just think Mike was nosing for peoples ages as a thread starter which has worked, rather than the meaning of life and average ages in general.

I used to caravan in a 10'6 Bluebird Europa with my parents and brothers when I was younger (around '69 until '74) and yes we did have an awning. Used to be pulled behind a 1966 Austin 1800 Mk1 possibly the ultimate towcar of its time.

Then in 1995 I wanted to go to the LR show at Billing Aquadrome so managed to borrow the wife's friends 10'6 Swift 'something or other'. Got into it and bought an old Eldiss 14'6 followed by our Avondale Osprey Deluxe. All cost me very little money and have been great to own.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts