How old is too old?

May 15, 2010
Visit site
As a caravanner in his mid 70's, I've been thinking how long can I expect to continue to enjoy our pastime.
Assuming,of course, that I remain reasonably fit.
Are there any caravanners who don't mind divulging their age and who can tell us how active they remain as caravnners, how far they travel each year etc.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Herself is over 80, I'm a mere strippling of 74. We use the caravan or camper throughout the year, and are currently planning our 2017 Eurojaunt which this year will be a relatively "short" six to seven weeks taking in France, Holland and Germany.
Our caravan is 38 years old, the towcar 24, and the camper van is 31.
Age? It's only a number! ;)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I have pure admiration for all you "older" lads and lasses.
I'm mid 50's and just hope and pray i keep go as long as all of you.
Good luck folks and happy vanning,keep it up. B)

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I have just started last year at the age of 70, then with a 1996 Swift Challenger 400SE
but this year have changed over to a 2001 Bailey Ranger 500/5, and hope to continue
until I get sick of, or my health gives up, my missus loves touring in the Lakes with our van...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think there is a specific numerical age where you can state categorically someone is too old. There is the fact that at age 70 your driving licence categories deminish and you may need to consider having medical to keep the enhanced entitlements or reconsider the size of car and caravan. Insurers may also start hiking premiums, put providing your fit enough then there's no age restriction.

Really it's about fitness not age, and that will vary on an individual basis.

I know a gent who was caravanning into his late 90's! Now that I admit is a bit misleading because he didn't drive but his son would take him on their holidays, but it's still caravanning!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm 73 on the last day of this month (March) Updated my out fit (see signature) the van just over two years ago and the car two and a half years ago, so I intend use both for a few years yet, winter and summer..
As Prof says car insurance has gone up in the last couple of years, not prohibitive though, so far. :S
I also have an agreement with my lad, that if I start to show signs of what every, he will let me know.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
As people get older there develop huge differences in their abilities. Some are "clapped out" at 50. Others are fine 30 years later than that. It depends on the individual, their lifestyle and attitude. Some men (not women generally) seem to want to be old, adopting the habits etc of a previous generation and sliding into elderliness before time. Others pretend they are still young when they are not. I know examples of all types.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I was 48 recently but due to the fact that I left it later than most to have a family I feel mid 20s (my kids are 6 and 8). as has been said, age is but a number.
A friend of mine's parents are both well into their 80s and still going strong although they are motorhomers now rather than caravanners.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
saint-spoon said:
I was 48 recently but due to the fact that I left it later than most to have a family I feel mid 20s (my kids are 6 and 8). as has been said, age is but a number.
A friend of mine's parents are both well into their 80s and still going strong although they are motorhomers now rather than caravanners.

wholeheartedly agree with the young whippersnapper here :p
I was 47 when my daughter arrived.
At her 3rd birthday party at the local soft play area I was dragged in to play with her and her friends and struggled getting through the pinch rollers. The attendant looked at me and said 'aren't you a bit old for that?' to which i replied 'not at all, I'm only 50!!'. There after other younger parents engaged in playing in there with the kids.
Last summer the 3 of us, Me, wifey and daughter went coasteering; I was the oldest dad to have done that in the providers time of doing it.
My Mum is 84 and runs rings round youngsters.
Roll on middle age, I say :p :p

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our combined ages are close to 160 . I bought my first caravan 50 years ago and will be buying a new one to celebrate when we get the present on back from Spain later this year. For the past 18 years we have spent around 160 nights a year away in the van mainly in Spain (winter and spring) and France (Autumn)
It helps a bit that I'm a Chartered Engineer and able to fix things,and that the OH is an experienced American camper used to basic facilities, but if you plan ahed, get a well balanced outlfit interms of van size and towing capability, a good motor mover, and ideally both of you being happy to tow, there is no reason why you should not have many happy years to look forward to.
We hve used the same slightly scruffy site in south east Spain now for 15 consecutive years, but it's our sort of scruffy and we use the in van facilities but the friendliness and fun are exceptional. You do not have to be in the bar every night, people understand that when the blinds are down you are not open for visitors and it is all pretty good. I shall miss it badly when no longer able to tour.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Having spent many years in tents and then trailer tests,,we started our times away in our caravan just a couple of years ago. I'm 72 and only just starting this part of life, so have a long ( I hope ) way to go yet.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am with the Prof on this. It all depends on your health and there is no fixed age when you are too old. At 70 I realise luck plays a part and just hope my health holds out and we can carry on for many years to come.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
oldagetraveller1 said:
, I've been thinking how long can I expect to continue to enjoy our pastime.

You'll be too old when your body tells you so. I've just got back home after spending four months in Spain. While I was there I had my 87th birthday and already plans are on the drawing board for next November. But as others have said, age is just a number. What counts is how soon the essential parts of the body wears out. My neighbour, who I find has developed slurred speech since I last talked to him is having to give up driving because of bouts of dizziness. He's been diagnosed with PS Palsy and he's only 70.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
She doesn't caravan but I took a birthday present to a family friend yesterday as it was her 'special' birthday - 100 !! She is still spritely and goes out to weed her garden most mornings. :) :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Apart from the fact that as we age we tend to have more things that can go wrong for us, age and health are not necessarily related. and age by itself is not a barre to caravanning.

Even where health starts to affect mobility or strength, there are aids that can help prolong access to the hobby.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Apart from the fact that as we age we tend to have more things that can go wrong for us, age and health are not necessarily related. and age by itself is not a barre to caravanning.

Even where health starts to affect mobility or strength, there are aids that can help prolong access to the hobby.
Quite so Prof.
One of our Woosies has gadgets you've never seen.They keep him and his family caravanning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts