How to beat the fuel increases.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
It is really quite simple. Limit your top speed to approximately 80kph or 50mph. Accelerate gently allowing the car to "peak" the revs according to how hard you have depressed the acccelerator before you change gear, especially if towing a caravan. If there is a stop sign ahead or you have to stop or slow down for whatever reason, just lift your foot off the accelerator and allow the vehicle to brake coast / roll under it own power to a stop. Some vehilcles like 4 x 4s may go into a sort of "freewheel mode". This is a practical way to do it unlike boycotting a brand.

You save on petrol, you save on repairs, you save on speeding fines and best of all you don't pay so much tax to the government! They had this policy in South Africa in the 1970s during the fuel crisis. The number of accidents increased slightly but fatalities dropped! Believe me travelling at 50mph is no joke but neither was a very heavy fine plus a jail sentence or even confiscation of your vehicle, a fine and a jail sentence. They were very strict but it worked and kept the price of fuel down! In addition service stations used to close at 1pm on Friday and re-open on a Monday and then doing a few half days during the week.

G

Easy answer. As there will be a fuel shortage then you won't be able to get any, so you won't spend any money.

Of course you could be stuck in a motorway service area for the rest of your life, but look on the bright side.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
The difference in fuel consumption comparing say 50mph with 60 or 70 mph is quite staggering. Driving solo I have been told, and it seems to be borne out in practice, that the difference between 50 and 70mph is 30%. I guess it will be similar if not more when towing. Not only does it save money, wear and tear etc but also 30% less emmissions. The difference in journey times, though, is probably only marginal. How many times have you caught up with the guy speeding past you at the next traffic lights or roundabout.Slower driving, (but not causing an obstruction) is more relaxing and setting up the 'van when you arrive at the site is less fraut.

John

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
That is not beating any thing it is just caving in to the madness!

Sis and I motored up through France at the weekend often at 70 mph or just over. I'd be asleep with the boredom and causing accidents if I towed or drove Ian's way.

I suggest that some caravanners foresake the rip off prices of Pubs and Restaurants and use the caravan kitchen and local super/hyper mart for a sensible priced tipple and healthier food options.

That way the fuel price when caravanning wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Towing MPG was much better in France and Italy, we should have routes and junctions that keep traffic moving rather than all the slowing down and then we would all be better off.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Allowing the engine to 'peak' revs before changing gear certainly doesn't save petrol. On the contrary, engines are most efficient when under maximum load. This can be achieved by changing up as soon as possible, not exceeding maximum torque.

The 50mph speed limit applies in most European countries anyway.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Last Sunday was a lovely warm day and we were on the way to Morrisons which is about 1 1/2 miles away when my Wife said lets go on and forget shopping so we followed the coast road where we live and on the return journey we came back on the A27 which has duel carriege way most of the way.One thing my other half always dose when getting in the car is to alter her side of the tempeture, looking at her reading it shows "low" mine about 21deg and its on aircon.So on the way back i happened to look at the computer as to what the mpg is,which was 51mpg.I then turned to the eco position and noticed the mpg was rising, and after about 40 miles it was showing 55/58 mpg. Thought i would add about other ways you can save if you want to.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian, If everybody took your advice there would be less fuel sold. the government would increase the dyty because it needs the money. Most of the world has developed since the war on the back of taxes on fuel. Nothing will change that, if you were able to make your car run on free air the government would find a way of getting the lost money.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Contrary to what many people say, I get worse fuel consumption when driving on French autoroutes (without the caravan). This is because the speeds are greater. Most cars when cruising at 80 mph will burn considerably more fuel than at 50 or 60 mph (as John says, the difference is staggering). I used to drive a lot for work, and always got the best results in heavy traffic on the M1, ie. when restricted to 50 - 60 mph.

Also, as an enthusiast I find I don't need to drive fast for enjoyment as I never get bored driving at slower speeds (sorry Shady Sadie). I always think speeding (and flashy cars) are for NON enthusiasts, as they don't enjoy driving otherwise!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Ian, If everybody took your advice there would be less fuel sold. the government would increase the dyty because it needs the money. Most of the world has developed since the war on the back of taxes on fuel. Nothing will change that, if you were able to make your car run on free air the government would find a way of getting the lost money.
Fact is that if the government doesn't increase tax one can expect the same increase on the part of the oil companies. Either way, you can forget that petrol prices will do anything but rise.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
As mention by Sadie boredom creeps it which is why accidents increased because people lost concentration travelling at a constant 50 mph. There was no doubt that it saved a lot of revenue regarding imports as far less was needed and the price of fuel actually dropped once the moment of madness or panic had passed.

All the tips I have stated are basically commensense and not rocket science. Sometimes I wished i listened to myself more often!

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
.....but Ian, you have to cruise at 50 - 60 mph with a caravan on the back in most countries (except France), anyway. So anybody who is bored at this speed must be bored with towing already! Your other tips, about anticipating stop signs etc. are just good driving and I can't see that they are boring.

Speed is only relative, anyway. I'm not suggesting that we should travel at 50 mph solo on motorways, but there are thousands who travel at 100 mph who would save fuel by driving at 70.

Keith

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The speed kind of regulates itself. We don't have a general speed limit on motorways here is Germany (unless you're towing), but that doesn't mean that everyone is driving flat out.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Keith I thought your original post was about general driving as well as towing. My normal driving speed would be much the same in the UK as it is France.

I don't understand how you get speeding in to it now and then make your "Flashy" car remark. To me a car is a car, flashy does not come in to it.

What would you or I know about how enthsiasm related to others car choice and driving style. I enjoy driving and towing, creeping away from the lights and idly waiting for the car to creep above 30 is not my idea of enjoyment or the making of an enthusiast driver or tugger. And that has nothing to do with speeding or being flash.

I cant see how claims can be leveled at the owners of cars that costs a bit more than the average family saloon when their homes can cost double or more than many families and are just described as "lovely homes".

We live in a "lovely" home and have a "lovely" car, they compliment one another. Why that should mark others or myself "NON enthusiast" is beyond me.

We want to make good safe progress when driving solo or towing and do as best we can not to impede other road users whilst not breaking land speed records.

I don't believe the style of driving you suggest does that or is wise or good practice on most UK or continental roads unless every other driver adopted the same driving tactics.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Lutz has got it!

How can you coast to juctions and roaundabouts safely with other traffic around you or just slowly pull away leaving other drivers fuming behind you or taking risks to pass.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Sadie - sorry, on reflection I think my paragraph about non enthusiasts was a bit flippant. I was just trying to say that true enthusiasts don't need to race around in flashy cars to get enjoyment, they enjoy all types of driving.

I didn't intend to suggest any driving style (who am I to suggest that), I was just pointing out the facts, ie. that faster speeds used significantly more fuel and that anticipating stop signs etc. was just good driving.

I did not mention my own driving style (only to say that I don't get bored at slower speeds - eg. towing) which I don't suppose is much different to yours.

From your post, and others you have made, I can see from your obvious interest in the subjects discussed that you are an enthusiast anyway....so there was certainly no intention to get into an argument with you!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Distantly remembered physics suggest that the drag (which influences mpg) rises as the square of the increase in speed, not in simple proportion. Also, most modern vans are wider than the older ones, so the area of the front of new caravans has increased significantly. Remember too, that drag is related to true speed through the air, not to road speed as indicated. so towing at 50mph into a 30 mph headwind is quite different to towning at 50 mph with a 30 mph tailwind. The previaling winds in UK are from south west, so towing back from Scotland may be much less fuel efficient for a given speed than the outboud journey.

All very boring, but if you want to save a little money, think on't !

TRENDING THREADS