How to cope with a snaking caravan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fortunately in all my years of towing I haven't suffered a snake, or any real moments of concern, but I am never complacent. The article gives a load of good advice about the weight ratio, driving and loading which is really useful. And the advice about what to do if a snake does occur is good insofar as it talks the reader through what is likely to happen and how to deal with it. Just recognising the symptoms and remembering the subsequent actions could be a game changer for anyone in that situation.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks very good advice, getting the weights and loading right in the first place and knowing what to do if the worst happens. We also have not had the problem but I have seen a serious snake and it is frightening. In that case the driver did everything right once it started, but he was driving like an idiot beforehand and he did get away with it.
What I find is almost every time we go out on a long trip we spot at least one caravan being driven with the caravan swinging every which way and the driver carrying on regardless.
Reading and being questioned on this should be part of the test to upgrade your licence.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I sometimes wonder if vehicles fitted with electronic stability aids are more susceptible to snakes and towing mishaps?
When I'm towing I can quite literally feel through the seat of my pants when the caravan is about to sway because of passing vehicle slipstream or ruts in the road, and I can correct the situation before anything gets out of control.
This is because there are no electronic gizmos between me and the way that the car and caravan are behaving on the road.
I've often seen vehicles such as Land Rover Disco's which have come to grief when towing, and many of these vehicles are packed with electronic driving aids which clearly haven't helped when needed most.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think Motty's article is one of teh best I have seen on the subject :)

He hasn't majored on weight ratio's unlike so many others and he has given good thought to most of the other what I consider equally important aspects of good matching.

Speed is always a factor in instability, and I appreciate his wording on the subject. Speed is in the hands of the driver and it needs to be considered by caravanners.

Parksy also makes an interesting point, These days the control systems of cars jump in at all sorts of times to modify the drivers instructions, and perhaps we find it increasingly difficult to notice when the cars is taking over from us.

But we should also reinforce the point that there is no substitute for properly setting up an outfit to minimise instability rather than relying on the tech to take control and save us. One day it may not function and it will show how exposed the unprepared driver is.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I too agree with Motty’s excellent script. Jokingly I would add to his last sentence. Take a spare pair of trousers :evil: :p
His reference to a “shimmer” is very important to newbies and perhaps needs to be understood better.
Whilst I have never experienced a snake the shimmer is not uncommon.
Usually wind induced when coming out of a valley onto a large bridge crossing open country. We have all felt the shimmer/ drag from a passing coach or car transporter. Usually no snake as such develops. Does the ATC and ESP etc work?
I don’t know but reckon it’s like a match . You only know it works when trouble strikes :woohoo:
All in alll a very good article well supplemented by Parksy the Prof :cheer:

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Parksy said:
I sometimes wonder if vehicles fitted with electronic stability aids are more susceptible to snakes and towing mishaps?
When I'm towing I can quite literally feel through the seat of my pants when the caravan is about to sway because of passing vehicle slipstream or ruts in the road, and I can correct the situation before anything gets out of control.
This is because there are no electronic gizmos between me and the way that the car and caravan are behaving on the road.
I've often seen vehicles such as Land Rover Disco's which have come to grief when towing, and many of these vehicles are packed with electronic driving aids which clearly haven't helped when needed most.

Absolutely right Parksy ...

When the van is having even the slightest effect on the stability of the car, it can certainly be felt by the driver. I find it feels exactly the same as when exploring the limits of adhesion on track days. WIth the right attention and awareness, a driver can provide corrective subtle throttle and steering inputs even before any sway can be felt by the fellow passengers.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Motty has covered the subject very well and his article is easily understood.
It has made me think about the possibility of snaking.
Obviously correct loading and tyre pressures are paramount before a wheel has turned.
As Dustydog mentioned, many of us have experienced the 'shimmer' when towing and have instinctively taken corrective action to prevent it from developing into a snake.
I wonder how many of those unfortunate enough to be involved in a snake have become a wee bit complacent when they are towing?
Modern vehicles have trappings that only the wealthy could afford a few years ago, and we find ourselves sitting in a very comfortable, climate controlled and relatively quiet driving environment.
The car radio / CD / mp3 player can be controlled from the steering wheel, many of us have automatic transmission plus the electronic driving aids that I mentioned in my previous comment.
Have we become cocooned, set apart from the realities of what we are actually doing, which could involve controlling a vehicle combination which is relatively heavy and has some degree of built in instability in a crowded situation with many potential distractions?
I try my best to drive reasonably well, using defensive driving tactics and situational awareness even on the short run to the local supermarket.
I strongly suspect that many regular forumites employ their 'towing head' when they hook up to take a caravan trip, I know that I do.
The radio / cd etc stays mostly off, I don't indulge in long conversations with Herself and I set the temperature control to cool rather than comfortably toasty.
I listen to the engine note, I feel what the tow vehicle is doing, and although I'd like to think that I concentrate on driving wherever I go, solo or towing, I know that I have that extra edge or sense of alertness when the caravan is hooked up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many, many years ago travelling south on the M5 near between J12 and J13 we had just overtaken a HGV and were pulling in when the caravan started to snake quite badly. Initially i eased off the accelerator and then accelerated again, the snake stopped immediately. The car was a lot heavier than the caravan and quite powerful which helped.
On reviewing the roadway on another journey I noticed deep tram lines on the inside lane and suspect that as I was pulling in the combination of the bow wave from the HGV and the tram lines started the snake. This was in the days before ATC and we only had the standard ALKO stabliser. The caravan was loaded correctly, but no awning etc in it. Perhaps a bit more weight might have helped. Have not had another snake since.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Buckman said:
Many, many years ago travelling south on the M5 near between J12 and J13 we had just overtaken a HGV and were pulling in when the caravan started to snake quite badly. Initially i eased off the accelerator and then accelerated again, the snake stopped immediately. The car was a lot heavier than the caravan and quite powerful which helped.
On reviewing the roadway on another journey I noticed deep tram lines on the inside lane and suspect that as I was pulling in the combination of the bow wave from the HGV and the tram lines started the snake. This was in the days before ATC and we only had the standard ALKO stabliser. The caravan was loaded correctly, but no awning etc in it. Perhaps a bit more weight might have helped. Have not had another snake since.

The "tram lines" are a common occurrence and will draw the outfit into them, but unfortunately the outfit wheel track doesn't fit the two lines. The first time i got caught was with an E30 M3 on the M4 near to Bristol. Wow did that car pull across quickly, and that wasn't towing either. That was the first time that I had been aware of their effect, so I marked that one down to experience.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I've had a snake and I can assure you when the car is pointing to the central barrier you will steer to correct.
I lifted fully off the accelerator too.

Lucky for me the snake sorted itself out, but its an experience I never want to experience again, so from that day I've took steps to ensure it doesn't.

I was doing under 60mph at the time, with no previous signs of instability when a high speed coach passed in the middle lane, the snake started as it passed, and it was travelling well over 70mph IMO.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
xtrailman said:
I was doing under 60mph at the time, with no previous signs of instability when a high speed coach passed in the middle lane, the snake started as it passed, and it was travelling well over 70mph IMO.

Bus drivers eh ?!? :p

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
xtrailman said:

It was worse in the 60s when the Midlands Red Motorway Express coach cruised the M1 at a sedate 90 mph B)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Craigyoung said:
xtrailman said:

It was worse in the 60s when the Midlands Red Motorway Express coach cruised the M1 at a sedate 90 mph B)
When I first started to drive articulated lorries the first tractor unit assigned to me was an old ex- British Railways Cummins powered Foden S80, the one with the split screen.
It would do 85mph fully freighted :woohoo:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Craigyoung said:
xtrailman said:

The Trathens double deckers from London to Plymouth weren't for the faint of heart either:)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:
Craigyoung said:
xtrailman said:

The Trathens double deckers from London to Plymouth weren't for the faint of heart either:)
Clive , did they have a toilet? The later Midland Red ones did :woohoo:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
Was it because of Dusty and Parksy that the 90kph speed limiters were introduced???? :whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
On motorways I used to keep it down to 70 - ish :evil:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:
Craigyoung said:
xtrailman said:

Clive , did they have a toilet? The later Midland Red ones did :woohoo:

Yes they were executive class travel with toilet, drinks, service staff etc. Rivalled the trains and Brymon Airlines too as they were fast and cheaper.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:
NigelHutson said:
Was it because of Dusty and Parksy that the 90kph speed limiters were introduced???? :whistle:

Ah, I’m pleased to hear that. At least I’d be able to stay in front of you with the Moggie!! :woohoo:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
Parksy said:
NigelHutson said:

Ah, I’m pleased to hear that. At least I’d be able to stay in front of you with the Moggie!! :woohoo:

Dustydog said:
I ask this tongue in cheek.
Parksy
Was you Cammel a three wheeler :p
I'm old enough to remember those three wheeled parcel delivery trucks DD

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts