How to fit a USB port in your caravan

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Thats what we use -- simple, car or van! 12v (Can't get E bay link to work! - How do you do that Parksy?)
Mini-Dual-USB-Twin-Port-12V-In-Car-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Adapter-plug-Universal

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Thats what we use -- simple, car or van! 12v (Can't get E bay link to work! - How do you do that Parksy?)
Mini-Dual-USB-Twin-Port-12V-In-Car-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Adapter-plug-Universal

[*]Write down your comment with the text that you want to use to describe the product e.g. In-car usb charger
Hold down left click to highlight your chosen text, in this case In-car usb charger
Copy your link and left click onto the globe with a chain icon above the dialogue box and smiley's.
Use the backspace button to remove http// from the box and paste your link into that box.
The lower box should already contain your text that you highlighted.
Click Insert, submit your comment and you should then have a nice tidy link like this

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We just carry a three way adaptor and use the 13 amp plugs with the adaptor supplied with the gear.
While I accept the alteration looks a bit neater, I am happy with what we have got, which will allow allow us to plug in three items if we need to.

Just sticking my nose in here not trying to appear to be a Luddite but am I the only one who thinks caravanning etc is becoming a little too materialistic.After all it was originally a conception about getting away from the norm and being able to displace oneself from the day to day malaise way of life. We just tend to have the same gizmos and gadgets when resting only in a different place. Granted a change is as good as a rest they say. Are we at a stage now that we can't live for a weekend or two without Internet. Wi-Fi computers tablets etc? usb sockets.
Good grief what next phone operated heating systems, Light censors, Solar panels, Tyres that last 10 years or more! OOPS! Sorry I got all carried away then.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's a lot to be said for getting away from it all Bill, but in the modern world some of us bank online, we stay I touch with family and friends, we use phones to take snapshots and we might have a glance at Practical Caravan forum, especially if we break something on the caravan :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Bill,
And further to Parksy's comment, There is absolutely nothing wrong with your wish to avoid these types of activity, but that is your choice. Other people have the same right to make their choices, and as long what we all does not affect others unreasonably we must accept others ways of doing things.

Like you I also used to like to be away from the normal daily things, but I see nothing wrong if others choose to have TV's phones and computers. As long as I cant hear them then so be it.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
yes we now live in the modern world where you can be having a conversation, their phone goes off and one conversation ends abruptly and another one starts .. soon we will all be phoning the person sitting right next to us! until that is their phone bips "another caller waiting"!

I fully take on board the comments made alas i find it bizarre that people would often, not always choose to wait to go away for a break and then do their banking whilst on a campsite because they can! and yes I accept it's the peoples choice to have all mod cons in fact most caravans and motor homes have now as standard the very such items. Thus driving up the price of units in the long run I am just a little concerned that we are becoming a nation of enough is never enough more want's more.
Oh well I will leave it to the Mr Gadgets of the caravanning fraternity.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Billwizzer said:
I fully take on board the comments made alas i find it bizarre that people would often, not always choose to wait to go away for a break and then do their banking whilst on a campsite because they can! and yes I accept it's the peoples choice to have all mod cons in fact most caravans and motor homes have now as standard the very such items. Thus driving up the price of units in the long run I am just a little concerned that we are becoming a nation of enough is never enough more want's more.
Oh well I will leave it to the Mr Gadgets of the caravanning fraternity.

We've often gone off grid on weekend rallies Bill, no 230v hook up, no tv or computer, and we continue to enjoy off grid breaks at music festivals or 1940s themed weekends throughout the summer, but I'm retired and we also go for much longer holidays and more frequently these days.
As far as online banking is concerned I have the choice of driving into the nearest town to find a bank in order to check that my bills are all paid on time and my pensions continue to keep me afloat, or I can quickly check the things that I need to check using my laptop computer without having to start the trundle truck, and I can do this while I help out with this forum wherever I happen to be at the same time ;)
Our caravan does have all of the creature comforts that we want and which we paid for when we bought it, but you get what you pay for.
We've had the old steel chassis cold water tap only porta potti equipped two berths and done our share of roughing it, and enjoyable though it may have been at the time we've moved on now.
It's not a case of 'more wants more' because we earned every penny that we paid for our caravan.
If others decide that they would rather play cards or board games on a cold wet night in their caravan good luck to them, I'd never dream of criticising their personal choice and they don't have to justify their possessions or choices to me or to anyone else.
We are personally now at long last in a happy position where we can have longer stays on sites with more amenities and prefer to make good use of modern technology whenever it suits us to do that.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
xtrailman said:
I even take my fishing tackle. :lol:

The Long haired Admiral won't let me :(

as for the USB thing, we also have an adaptor, got it from on line for a few quid, I charge my Kindle, Phone, MP3, LHA's fitbit thingymajig, and a few other bits and bobs. I also have a lead to charge the bose speaker from 12v. we do a lot of off grid over summer so that is essential even if Ieave my phone in the van most of the time and take a paperback thus making the kindle surplus to requirements.

we don't take a telly with us though.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We only take the TV because it has a usb charge port same as do the caravan radio and the portable radio, how many do you need ? there are, 4 on the car as well.!!!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
TV and sky dish are mandatory here. Usb is achieved by a four lead charger in caravan running off the mains and a similar unit in car running off the ciggy lighter socket.
Not a luddite. Not a technophobe but a lover of creature comforts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts