How to make sleeping more comfortable?

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Afternoon all,

When staying in our van (2004 Compass Pentara) after 1 night I find the bed (sofa converted to kingsize) really uncomfortable and get alot of hip and back pain from it.

So anyone else suffer with this and if so, any suggestions on how to make it more comfortable.

The last thing I want on our next trip is not much sleep from being uncomfortable especially as we have a newborn baby with us now that'll be reducing my sleep further (he'll be 2months old when he goes on his first trip at easter)

Thanks in advance
Matt

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
No problem Matt.
You probably clicked to use a different message board but for some reason the message board software often defaults to New Members, it happens to me as well ;)
As for the bed, memory foam mattress toppers are available which you could roll out over the cushions underneath the bottom sheet, they are very comfortable.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Theteaboy said:
When staying in our van (2004 Compass Pentara) after 1 night I find the bed (sofa converted to kingsize) really uncomfortable and get alot of hip and back pain from it.

We have a 2 berth van and the beds can be used as 2 singles or made up into a kingsize across the front of the van. We always use it as 2 singles and get a good night's sleep as there are no joins in the mattress cushions and no lumps and bumps with the knee rolls. It also means either person can get out of bed in the night without having to climb over the other person.

If your cushions have knee rolls then position the bumps to the outside of the van, if you sleep across the van. Also try turning the cushions over so any buttons are then on the underside. If all else fails then try mattress toppers, as Parksy has suggested.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
We do exactly as Woodlands Camper does and for the same reason,,,we both have a great sleep, in fact if anything I sleep better in the caravan than at home,,,( but don't tell the wife I said so )

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Do you use a mattress topper? There is a thread about different sorts on here somewhere. They can really make a big difference.
Mel

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Matt......most people do not realize that there is more than one way to arrange the cushions if you sleep across the caravan making the bed up as a double.

IMO the best way is to turn the two base cushions lengthways across the van with the two narrower seat backs side by side at the end where your feet will be.
That way you are not lying on any joins that matter, you will each have your own base seat cushion to lie on.
Knee rolls can either be one on each side or both side by side in the middle.
You can then add other layers to increase comfort further as required and to suit your needs.
We then add 2 duvets to lie on and a 3rd to cover up........cheaper to buy and easier to store than mattress toppers.......but that is down to personal choice and what storage room you have.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you use the cushions with the seats face up. The instructions for our last caravan said turn them over and this did produce a flatter surface. If that does not work then a topper is the best bet.

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I have tried using the van as 2 singles, changing the cushions around to different fits and turned them over, but to no avail.

Ill try and find the mattress topper thread.

Matt

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have the full size fixed bed, and I have the hip soreness , on one side and a smack in the back after snoreing every 1/4 hour. So a 2inch topper, but I find a bottle or three of wine helps as well, In our old Sterling the odd shaped bed, the mattress folded half way to help putting on the covers, any one know if they can be obtained for newer caravans.
Hutch
Just found a place custom caravan mattresses, with memory foam etc.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I got one for my son,s bed at home from memory foam warehouse. It is an online retailer. The price was good and they show the density of the foam you are buying.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Mel and Parksy, I ment the folding matresses, already use the topper ,found a company,
http://customsizebeds.co.uk/price-guide
Hutch.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Naughty boy Hutch!! :woohoo: We had duvalay toppers before going to the fixed bed. Are the girls comfy?? No idea, they can always stay at home. :evil:

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
We turn our cushions over and use a matress topper. We also use memory foam on the bunks, held in place by single flat sheets, kept together by duvet poppers.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
We had exactly the same problem and bought a memory foam mattress topper from Motorhome Accessories in Ashbourne. It worked a treat and we've been comfortable ever since. They also sell them (new) on ebay.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I just bought a 60mm thick memry foam mattress topper Double size from Costco. On offer this week; cost £77:00 It isn't shaped but the edge tucks down nicely on our nearside fixed double bed. Considerably cheaper than the £200+ duvaley want for a shaped double.
mel

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
A couple bottles off wine seems to do the trick , hit the pillow and out for the count !! :whistle: :p
On a serious note though , we turn our cushions and bought a mattress topper from Aldi like the King which makes a difference !! ;)

TRENDING THREADS